PDA

View Full Version : do what the folks say or what i want?

woodsracer144
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
ok so right now im done with High school in the spring. I have a 93 ford ranger and Im a taller guy and its not that its a bad truck i just would like something bigger. The truck i want is a 86 ford F350 CC LB with a 5.9 Cummins in it. bigger tires bumper and a winch.

the ranger i have had the motor rebuild ( have the paper) and i just put a transmission in it, along with tires, starter, brakes and some more stuff, i got close to 2K in parts in to this truck.

that cummins is my cousins and the swap was done the right way. he is on of 4 or 5 mechanics for Ford at his rank( its some master one thats high) i trust all his work and i know he did this right. he wants 4500 for it and i could sell some stuff i have and easyly have that money for it. however my aunt does all my banking for me and she said that even if i have 6 grand and i should pull a loan on it and build criet on it cause im only 18 and i dont have any and now days you need it.

so what do you think would be the best bet? one way or another i would like to get a bigger truck. i dont need a diesel to tow but i just like diesels and I have a job and im up at 5 every day to go to work.
thanks for the help.

hondariderdylan
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
The way i look at it, especially with vehicles is to go with what makes you happy. :cool:

kfx400rider03
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
get the truck but dont get a loan on it if you have to pay your own insurence. because you will have to get full coverage on it and that isnt cheap.
and why take a loan out when you are buying it from a friend. if it was i dealer i could see getting a loan then.

CJM
04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Personal loan or save your cash to buy it. I would do a small one, like 3k maybe.

Me, a crewbad F series is way to big imho. is it single rear wheel or dually-cause dually I see no real reason for most people. Also 4x4 or not, no 4x4 meh is it really worth it?

woodsracer144
04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Personal loan or save your cash to buy it. I would do a small one, like 3k maybe.

Me, a crewbad F series is way to big imho. is it single rear wheel or dually-cause dually I see no real reason for most people. Also 4x4 or not, no 4x4 meh is it really worth it?

oh 4x4 with a single RW.

i like big trucks and stuff... im on a farm and i just cant own a small sports car cause i would get in BIG trouble with it... this cab isnt as big as the new F250's and 350's but on well... main reason i want it is cause i like that body style its a good deal price wise to me, i know the guy that owns it and i know hes not gonna **** me over and its a clean truck.

CJM
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh since its a 4x4 and SRW then I say go for it. Cummins swap is nice :)

I would take out a small 2-4k personal loan for it if you want to build credit. Im not sure what your aunts thinking, but to even get a loan these days you either need established credit, collateral (IE house) or a co-signer.

GL with your purchase.

toby400ex
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
If you have any desire to build credit you could go ahead and get the loan. Just try not to get a ****ty interest rate. You said you could come up with the cash to buy it out right, so make that cash and put it in savings and pull it out every month to make the payments on the loan. Make a little interest in the savings account and gain some credit on the loan.

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Ford with Cummins??? Conversion or do you mean Powerstroke? Personally I think the Powerstrokes are very good motors.

400exrider69
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
i thinK he means ford with cummins conversion i think its alright price wise i wouldnt want to big of tires mpg is a big thing to me but for 4k you can find other good deals my frend just bought 94 2500 cummims 5 sp flatbed with dually adapter for 2200 runs perfect needed trans rebuilt and he got that done and new bed put on and single wheel for around 4k its a good lookin truck. What kinda tranny is in truck The ford your lookin at

CJM
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Cummins swap is the best, powerstroke is a good engine but the cummins is the top. Those things can be tuned to run 500+ hp and still get 18-20mpg.

Its actually a big conversion to do it, plenty of folks do it b/c the cummins is just better overall.

Im kinda annoyed dodge even has the cummins since they build crap.

woodsracer144
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Cummins swap is the best, powerstroke is a good engine but the cummins is the top. Those things can be tuned to run 500+ hp and still get 18-20mpg.

Its actually a big conversion to do it, plenty of folks do it b/c the cummins is just better overall.

Im kinda annoyed dodge even has the cummins since they build crap.

I feel the same way, i like some of the body styls but i dont care for dodges work. they all have problems with them but i think dodge has a little more, it is not a powerstroke motor, if i didnt get this truck it would be a 96-97 powerstroke but even those run 4K and have 220K on them, this truck is a 86 crew cab long box 4x4 with a winch and bigger tires and its only 4500. hes putting a new clutch in or will have one for me to put in it. its running some sort of bigger ford trans something like from a med. duty truck im not sure what trans all he told me is its a 5 speed from a big ford.

the only really thing thats holding me back is how i could get the loan cause i would like to have this truck by the 20th... mabie i could talk my cousin in to letting me use it for a day or so and then see..