PDA

View Full Version : quad wont start????????

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
ok heres the deal i put my quad up in late november after first couple snowfalls and made sure i started it up every couple weeks i last started it up 3 weeks ago and took it for a ride around my lake which is about 2 mile long ride not romping just warming it up and riding it. yesterday i got on the quad and the battery was dead so i charged it and went to start it and nothing happened wouldint turn over i tried choking it and everything then i tried pop starting it it would turn over then just die and it acts as though the throttle dosnt give the engine any gas no matter if i pump the throttle or not and i looked under my seat and there are 2 hoses that y together into 1 i think its an overflow but they are dry rotted could that be the case??

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Might be a dumb question, but do you have gas in the tank? If so, is the fuel on? Those hoses are just overflows and breathers. Your floats might be stuck. This can happen with old gas. The next step is to drain the tank and clean the carb. Put new gas in and try again.

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
yes gas would be about 4 -5 months old i never put dry gas in it and fuel is on i was thinking float might be stuck so ill give that a whirl and see how that goes for me

NMills
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
So it does not turn over? or does it??? if not at all... check the fuse outside the battery box... check all the wire... make sure no mice have chewed anything...

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
it turns over like normal and i checked the fuse its good it turns over but just doesnt start up and it acts as tho no fuel is squirting in when i press the thumb throttle

NMills
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Now this may sound dumb.... but is the kill switch on??? I've done as i'm sure plenty of others have done it... and not noticed right away...

CJM
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Had the same problem with some friends EX's, they had used stabil too but sat for 3 months.

They would start but kept on dying, went out and got some 93 and poured it in and shook the tank so we mixed it and they fired right up.

For good measure and to clean the carb we put a spalsh of seafoam in it (cleans carbs and whatnot) and they did run great after about a week later.

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
so u think if i put some 93 octane in it and shook it around it would work or to clean out the carb where would i get some sea foam like u used

NMills
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
It might be worth a shot... what do you have to lose??

CJM
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Jdev3407
so u think if i put some 93 octane in it and shook it around it would work or to clean out the carb where would i get some sea foam like u used

Any autoparts stores sell seafoam. Im not really sure it did anything tbh b/c it pretty much started right up after we added some new gas tho.

Then again we had had them started but they wouldnt stay running kinda deal already.

Seafoam is this cleaner stuff I was shown on another msg board for trucks n offroad stuff. WHat it does is cleans out all kinds of gunk inside the engine/carbs. I used it with success on a friends old carb bronco. The thing would barely run and we poured seafoam right into the carb and although white smoke comes out (every vehicle I tested does this btw and no harm) for a bit it ran better than ever.

You have nothing to lose, personally tho I would pull the tank and drain the bad gas-that way only a little bit of the old gas is inside the carb.

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
so ill empty the gas and just take the top off the carb and dump a lil bit of seafoam in like a tablespoon or so???

CJM
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Nah, do it like this:

Empty the tank of the bad gas, dont spill to much and put it in a container to dispose of later.

Put tank back on, pour in maybe a gallon or so of good gas and a nice splash of seafoam (like a shot glass full). Then try and start it, if it starts let it run. White some may come out but dont worry. White smoke should subside in a bit.

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
ok ill give it a try and let u know how it works out thanks alot

CJM
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
No problem, hope it works out :)