PDA

View Full Version : Mod some more or sell her off?

Mattjns93
04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
For starters, I don't race. I drive around our farm and on trails. But I always want more speed and more power. Just my personality I guess :p

Anyways, my 300ex is in my sig. I could continue modding it, or I could sell it off for around $2000-$2500 and get another quad. I'm thinking for that price a 2003 +/- 1 year 400ex, a 450r, or maybe even a banshee. I just drove my friend's modded banshee and my other friend's yfz and I just want something a bit faster.

Which is the smarter choice here? Also, top end is important to me, but not so much that I can hit 100mph but it takes 1 mile to get there. I still want reasonable acceleration.:

witech
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Sounds like your ready for a performance quad. Spend a couple hundred and a buy more capable machine . You will need all new suspension and enough money to double the power to make a 300ex even comparable to any 400cc+ machine. Modding 300ex's was a normal practice 15 years ago when performance/sport 4 strokes quads didnt exist but now....

Scro
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I think you should sell it and move up, but I don't think you are going to get anywhere near the money out of it you are talking about. You can get a decked out 400ex, or like you said a nice 450 for that price. Nothing is selling right now.

Mattjns93
04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I kinda figured a new quad was in my future. I'm going to start saving a few hundred so a 400ex shouldn't be out of the question. I'd get a 450r but from what I've read, they like the higher RPM range better and that is pretty useless in the tight areas on our farm.

sameltoe
04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I love my 450r in the trails! xc style

Mattjns93
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
What's the opinion on a 400ex vs a banshee? The more I think about the, the 450r is most likely out of the question. I know on the long stretches and from the start, a banshee will most likely be a lot quicker, but in the tight areas I feel the 400ex would be better. I'm also not too sure how solid they are, because I ride everywhere. In 2 feet water, through the woods making my own paths, through knee deep mud, in the dirt, etc. I need reliability.

Scro
04-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Mattjns93
What's the opinion on a 400ex vs a banshee? The more I think about the, the 450r is most likely out of the question. I know on the long stretches and from the start, a banshee will most likely be a lot quicker, but in the tight areas I feel the 400ex would be better. I'm also not too sure how solid they are, because I ride everywhere. In 2 feet water, through the woods making my own paths, through knee deep mud, in the dirt, etc. I need reliability.

Banshee and reliability should not be used in the same sentence.:p A 400ex is far more reliable.