PDA

View Full Version : small sprocket and starting in gear??

88dunerider
04-04-2010, 10:03 PM
so i went down to a 13 tooth front sprocket , i got a 2000 440ex , and never did the override with the nuetral so you could start it in gear always had to be in nuetral . well ever since i put the small sprocket in sometimes it will start in gear and then sometimes you have to be in nuetral . any ideas ??? also what are signs of clutch slipping and getting ready to go ???

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
When the clutch starts going, your tires wont spin when you rev.

if your not kicking up roost...lol. or it seems to slip and catch after a lil gain in speed, that means its going soon.

88dunerider
04-05-2010, 09:13 AM
yeah it isnt doin that i think its fine , but do you know anything about the starting in gear and nuetral stuff , just weird it started doin it when i put that smaller sprocket on

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Mines starts in gear. Just have to have the clutch pulled in. The wires going to the clutch perch have a button the presses in when you pull in the clutch. I have heard of people taking that out and connecting the wires together to overide the button. In my opinion that is not a good idea. There is no reason to be able to start the bike in gear without the clutch ingaged.

88dunerider
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
yeah ive heard of that override and ive also heard that on the early 400exs they could only start in nuetral , idk my clutch cable is a little loose gonna tight it up and see if that does anything , just thought it was weird it started in gear after i stuck a smaller sprocket in her

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Not sure about the early 400's only starting in nuetral. Never heard of that before, But there is alot I don't know and will never know. Also I don't see how dropping your sprocket would enable you to start in gear. That sounds weird to me. maybe when you installed the sprocket, you jiggled the little wires that run right by the front sprocket, somehow getting a better connection. Thus enabling you to start in gear. Thats the only thing I can think of.

rcatvrider
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Either it is simply coincidence or you jiggled around some wires near the sprocket. I would check all of the connections in the area and at the clutch lever.If that does not work, splicing the wires on the clutch lever is always an option, that's what people do with aftermarket levers anyway.