PDA

View Full Version : do u have to rejet your carb when u replace your muffler??

hocman123
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
i have a mostly stock 06 400 and want to replace the muffler the po gutted and my friend tells me i would need to get my carb rejetted which i don't think i could do on my own. and would have to pay a lot for dealler to do that. just what to know if it true or not b/c the extra cost would keep me from doing it soon

just in case it is important i was most likely going to get a Lexx MXe slip on

Thumpin440ex
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes more then likely you will need to rejet the carb... When ever you move more air in or out, you need to rejet.. More air means more fuel.. Rejetting is fairly simple..

John

big_poppa49
04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Are you talking about a FULL exhaust system? If you are, then you may need to re-jet

As for just a slip on exhaust, well I have been running my Yoshimura slip on for about 7 years now, never once did I re-jet, still running perfect.

So:

full system: maybe
slip-on: Not required

hocman123
04-05-2010, 02:42 PM
yea not replacing the headers just useing the slip on the end

rcatvrider
04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Replacing the main jet is as simple as loosening the clamps on the carb, twisting it for bowl access, removing the bowl, unscrewing the jet then do the reverse order, installing the new jet.

hocman123
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
are jets all the same. and if not how do i know which one i need?

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html

hope this helps.

hocman123
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
that help tell me whats jets are which i kind of had the jist of before but did not really tell u how to do it or how to know which jet to use onther then the idle jet which i think on mine works fine b/c i ahve not proplem starting it cold

but i might be wrong

Pabst_Powered
04-05-2010, 10:51 PM
jetting a 400ex is so easy, get a jet kit from jetsrus...30bucks plus s/h, do it your-self all day long, its not rocket science

aDviSol2y
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
that help tell me whats jets are which i kind of had the jist of before but did not really tell u how to do it or how to know which jet to use onther then the idle jet which i think on mine works fine b/c i ahve not proplem starting it cold

but i might be wrong

Seriously? Do they not teach grammer in school any more? I can't even read your post...... :ermm:

CJM
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Seriously? Do they not teach grammer in school any more? I can't even read your post...... :ermm:

Thank you grammar nazi, who cares? Not like this is school or a job where spelling and grammar count.

:mad:

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
it is nice not to have to try and guess what the word is though. another is spelled wrong along with some others that make it tough. I would say put a 150 main in and you should be good. steve

hocman123
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y

sorry it was really late at night and after a long day of work. i was typing it fast and did not look it over before i posted it

will try to do better for now on

f4iracer
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm gonna step into this thread right now because i was mislead a couple times when i first joined the forum.

If you just a put slip on pipe on it, you don't have to rejet, but you will want to adjust your a/f screw, which requires getting to the carb.

A previous post explained how easy it was to change the main jet. You actually dont' need to take the bowl off at all, just take the cap off of the bottom of the carb and you are looking right at the main jet.

If anybody tells you to put a 42 pilot in, don't do it.

I would install the new pipe and then take the quad out and see if it starts acting up. If it's kinda fallin on it's face a little bit then you will wanna put a bigger jet in.

If it's falling on it's face at 3/4 - full throttle, put a bigger main jet in.

If it's falling on it's face at mid range throttle then you need a needle.

I have very little mods done to my 400ex, it has a slip on with a uni air filter and the lid is on. I screwed with the main jet and the pilot jet much more than i needed too. The key to my success was to buy a dynojet needle jet and put it on the 3rd clip position. I then turned the a/f screw out 3 1/2 turns just like dynojet recommends for a slip on.

My quad runs like a champ. Basically just put the part on and then see what's happening.