PDA

View Full Version : Wire harness removal

mydirtkids
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I am removing all the stuff on a DRR 90 that he does not need for mx. The wire harness looks very simple, but not sure what plugs etc will still be needed.

I think the resistor is just a component for the starter motor, and essentially all I need will be the C.D.I., coil and kill switch..right?

The rectifier, resistors, key switch and all should just come right out along with the starter, battery, lights and oil switch. I do not see how I will still be able to retain the temp light though. I went to oil-pre mix and kid loves the light thumb throttle and I like to know I am getting oil (which takes away the need for the oil level light). I would like to have the temp light if possible, but don't know how to power it without the harness etc..

What is the rectifier used for in this system?

Anyone with info is greatly appreciated! (Hopefully I don't blow this thing up!) Thanks

thequadfather+2
04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I dont think you will be able to keep the temp light unless you keep a battery source.

You may have already seen this but here it is just incase. follow the directions and you should be ok. Everything comes off, everything.

I pasted this from the G Force website.

1- Take 2 wires (blk w/red & wht w/red) from the stator and plug them directly into CDI box (same color wires)

2- CDI wires (plug orange and black) Run orange wire to hot lead on coil and ground the black wire

3- The black wire left on the CDI goes to a ground

4- Make sure to run ground from engine to frame

If you have an aftermarket Kill Switch- Run 1 lead to ground and other wire to hot lead on coil. Be careful not to run hot lead on coil to wire on killswitch that runs to the metal exposed part of the killswitch.

mydirtkids
04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Sounds simple. Thanks for the resource! Hopefully everything goes as smooth as it sounds...:cool:

ultramax29
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
so with this wiring harness setup will you only have kick start?

bulldog222
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
yes

mydirtkids
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, down to the kick start. My son is 8 today! He weighs 50lbs and has no problem starting on his own. He thinks it is cool! (so do I). Managed to reduce the weight by about 15lbs by taking out battery, starter, oil tank (use mixed gas) and all extra wiring.

ultramax29
04-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Appreciate it.

mydirtkids
04-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Sure, if you have any questions it is all still fresh in my head.

I removed entire harness, lights, starter n all junk behind variator (had 2 shim), batt, start/light/kill switch, on/off key assembly, rectifier, resistors, oil tank, temp n oil level lights + bracket, CVT cover and wow that stuff adds up! Well over the 15lbs I originally weighed.

The harness comes right out, and all that stuff can easily be put back on if need be.

G-force powersports has a descent link to the wire harness bypass, but not complete.

Follow their guidance for the CDI, coil and stator wires.

I picked up a cheap kill switch at the local bike shop for less than 15 bucks. You will need to connect one lead to the coil wire, the other to ground. I guess you could use that huge thing that it comes with, but it has a different mess of wires you will need to figure out...We love the little kill button much better. If you need bling, Fly Racing has some cool anodized ones for about $40.

The kill teather needs to be spliced into the orange coil wire from the CDI to the coil (cdi orange wire travels thru one wire of teather out other teather wire to coil). I used the original CDI plug off the wire harness, and quick disconnect plugs everywhere else (like the harness).

I used the coil bolt hole to frame as common ground for everything including ground to engine (cvt case).

I used solder and heat shrink on all the plugs I made.

Whole process took about a full day not having messed with it before, but was really easy to do. Happy dirtkids at home!:cool: