PDA

View Full Version : i got me a new race bike(pics)

krt400ex
04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
so, i finally got my dream quad. picked up a ktm450xc yesterday. i love this bike, and wanted to share. i will be running gncc starting with a couple races this year and then probably the full season next year. got nerfs on order already.

this is at the dealer gettin ready to load it onto the truck
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/450xc5.jpg

went right from the dealer to my friends house to ride
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/450xc4.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/450xc3.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/450xc1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/450xc2.jpg

raced a yfz450 yesterday after about an hr and a half on it. he had hot rods crank, cams, high comp piston, and exhaust. beat him by 2 lengths each time. this thing is an animal

krt400ex
04-03-2010, 08:38 PM
also can someone tell me how to fix that freakin header leak that i hear is all so common from the factory? the backfiring and popping is making me mad lol

ZBlaster
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
also can someone tell me how to fix that freakin header leak that i hear is all so common from the factory? the backfiring and popping is making me mad lol

The backfiring and popping from the factory is typically from them being too lean, not a header leak. My buddy has 3 450XC's and the very first thing he did before even breaking them in was rejet.

krt400ex
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
i thought it was jetting also. that was the first thing, but i remembered seeing in the ktm forum that the problem was a header leak from the factory. now i'm not sure lol. the bike runs a little hot, but i do mostly tight trails...dont get out of second gear so i figured that was normal. and it still runs cooler than my old 400ex :p

TWISTED
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
My buddy bought a 525 when they first came out and it wouldn't run right... Come to find out, the valves were WAAAAAAAAAAAY too tight, from the factory...... Just something to think about..... After he got that straight, it runs like a raped ape.....

Honda#4
04-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Looks awesome man!

nastyrider17
04-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice quad man.

How much did you pay for it?

krt400ex
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
leftover from '09 it wasnt cheap. it was 8986 OTD. i financed the whole thing. my payments came out to be $215 a month for 48 months. this bike runs like a bat outta hell. i had my buddy who owns a race shop ride it and he said that with just and exhaust it would run with his fully build 450r engine. he was impressed.

krt400ex
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Looks awesome man!

thanks! its so compact, everyone says it looks small lol.

fastredrider44
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Cool bike. You might want to look into suspension from various people. I know you probably aren't looking to spend a whole bunch of money on a brand new bike, but the factory shocks can be VERY sweet when setup correctly. It will also get your ride height a little lower as well. Congrats with the bike, see you at the races.:blah:

aDviSol2y
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
leftover from '09 it wasnt cheap. it was 8986 OTD. i financed the whole thing. my payments came out to be $215 a month for 48 months. this bike runs like a bat outta hell. i had my buddy who owns a race shop ride it and he said that with just and exhaust it would run with his fully build 450r engine. he was impressed.

I don't know if I would want a $200+ bike payment. My Loaded Chevy Tahoe payment is only $218. :ermm: Whats the interest rate on that thing? :confused:

400exrider707
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
The headpipe on my 05 450R used to loosen up constantly and it would pop like crazy on decel. that's easy enough to check though. I ended up just double-nutting mine to hold it on.

Honda#4
04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Just a tip: Jay @ Fourwerx has awesome CF products for the KTM if your ever interested to spruce that thing up.

liex21
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
sick bike but thats a pretty hefty payment my 05 dodge ram is only a hundred bucks more

krt400ex
04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
I don't know if I would want a $200+ bike payment. My Loaded Chevy Tahoe payment is only $218. :ermm: Whats the interest rate on that thing? :confused:

7% interest. and i live at home still and dont have anything but and insurance payment for my truck and a cell phone bill ($40 a month). its easily doable for me and still able to save money.

krt400ex
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Cool bike. You might want to look into suspension from various people. I know you probably aren't looking to spend a whole bunch of money on a brand new bike, but the factory shocks can be VERY sweet when setup correctly. It will also get your ride height a little lower as well. Congrats with the bike, see you at the races.:blah:

for now the stock suspension is lightyears better than anything i've ever rode. it soaks everything up. i softened the compression two clicks on the front cuz it pushed a hair in the corners and it handles so nicely now. and i took two clicks off both compression and rebound in the rear since it kicked a little over bigger whoops. now the bike stays level and holds its line through anything and soaks up impacts like they arent there. i love it. its better than my motocross ready kx125

coryatver
04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
i am surprised it runs so good. my buddy got an 08 450 xc and it can't beat a piped yfz. He got the baldwin promotion with his for the free head porting/ valve job and cam and it still doesn't run as good as a piped yfz. A honda 450 with a cam/exhuast destroys it. I think they get there reputation from the 525s those ktms are insane.

Fix for header leak is to weld the head pipe the the flange.

for xc racing look into getting revalves as the stock shocks are stiff for xc racing. I would recommend replacing the front with aftermarket as the stock ohlins are not that great for serious racing. Also an aftermarket battery box and yfz battery. stock one is a joke toy battery and will fail and the battery box is plastic and breaks.

Also a teixeira steering stem flag is a must have to make it handle like it should.

And put the sx dirtbike cdi on to get rid if the tps. IF the TPS isn't adjusted perfectly it won't run worth crap and will cause you to DNF. And you can't just unplug it like the yfz or wire it together like the 450r becuase it won't start without it. Some people remove it and rig up a switch to start it but it is way to much of a hassle when racing to have an extra step to start it.

Buy lots of a-arm bushings/bearings they wear out in 1 race.
Also keep the brake slides greased very well and keep an eye on it as the brake stay will break right off if not.
Get the carb done so the throttle pull is easier it will kill your thumb racing if you don't.

MOST IMPORTANT on frame between a-arms get this gussetted! The frame will bend there I have seen this more than once and it is not pretty.

They are nice bikes I know a lot of people that bought them when they first came out but the maintence cost for racing it are killer and the parts are always on back order some guys i know had to go buy a yamaha or honda so they could make it to there next race as they were waiting for parts all the time.

Don't take my comments in a negative way just trying to help you out with this bike and what to watch out for. Have fun.

04-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Just a tip: Jay @ Fourwerx has awesome CF products for the KTM if your ever interested to spruce that thing up.

Or you can get the same hood he makes from quadtech. since that is who he copied it off of

http://www.fwcarbon.com/images/products/stealth-carbon-hood_1836166.jpg

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/LHP2L1CL.jpg

Honda#4
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I think its nice to benefit a smaller company though.

krt400ex
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
i am surprised it runs so good. my buddy got an 08 450 xc and it can't beat a piped yfz. He got the baldwin promotion with his for the free head porting/ valve job and cam and it still doesn't run as good as a piped yfz. A honda 450 with a cam/exhuast destroys it. I think they get there reputation from the 525s those ktms are insane.

Fix for header leak is to weld the head pipe the the flange.

for xc racing look into getting revalves as the stock shocks are stiff for xc racing. I would recommend replacing the front with aftermarket as the stock ohlins are not that great for serious racing. Also an aftermarket battery box and yfz battery. stock one is a joke toy battery and will fail and the battery box is plastic and breaks.

Also a teixeira steering stem flag is a must have to make it handle like it should.

And put the sx dirtbike cdi on to get rid if the tps. IF the TPS isn't adjusted perfectly it won't run worth crap and will cause you to DNF. And you can't just unplug it like the yfz or wire it together like the 450r becuase it won't start without it. Some people remove it and rig up a switch to start it but it is way to much of a hassle when racing to have an extra step to start it.

Buy lots of a-arm bushings/bearings they wear out in 1 race.
Also keep the brake slides greased very well and keep an eye on it as the brake stay will break right off if not.
Get the carb done so the throttle pull is easier it will kill your thumb racing if you don't.

MOST IMPORTANT on frame between a-arms get this gussetted! The frame will bend there I have seen this more than once and it is not pretty.

They are nice bikes I know a lot of people that bought them when they first came out but the maintence cost for racing it are killer and the parts are always on back order some guys i know had to go buy a yamaha or honda so they could make it to there next race as they were waiting for parts all the time.

Don't take my comments in a negative way just trying to help you out with this bike and what to watch out for. Have fun.

lol well thats hefty right there. i have been riding the bike for the last four days as though i were racing and i havent had issues. had the locknut for the axle loosen up but that was it. and the throttle is really light already. i dont want it lighter.

krt400ex
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM

i was honestly suprised with how it ran when i first rode it. i wasnt expecting it to be so strong. at all. its got wicked throttle response. it feels like most of the power is focused on the midrange. but its an animal

jcv400ex
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Did you get any lube with that deal??

coryatver
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Did you get any lube with that deal??

retail is $10,800. and with tax and all the bs and high interest loan sounds about right. The KTM is definitly not a budget quad. The honda and yam 450s you can get for 4,000 but the ktms are going closer to retail. I think my buddy paid 7500 for his 08 last summer came with the race part package and baldwin promo.

jcv400ex
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Put as much as you can on the principle of the loan above and beyond the monthly payment every month. Even if it's $20. Why would you want to pay $215 a month for something you're going to just beat the crap out of racing it? Think of what kind of shape it's going to be in in 4 years.

Don't you think in the next 4 years you might want to move out of your parents house or go to college? What if you get someone pregnant in that time? Have to start planning for the future. It's hard enough trying to make enough to support yourself, then you have to add a 200 dollar a month 4 wheeler payment.

You don't know it, but you've dug yourself in a hole. Pay as much as you can on that quad every month, you'll be happy you did in a few years!

coryatver
04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah i don't know if I could race a quad that wasn't paid for. Especially if you are racing a whole gncc series on it, it is going to be junk at the end of the season. and have 3 years more to pay on it that will suck. But racing isn't cheap and I bet most people rolling into the races have thousands in credit card dept.

krt400ex
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
got the nerfs on it today

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

ZBlaster
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
yeah i don't know if I could race a quad that wasn't paid for. Especially if you are racing a whole gncc series on it, it is going to be junk at the end of the season. and have 3 years more to pay on it that will suck. But racing isn't cheap and I bet most people rolling into the races have thousands in credit card dept.

I know I could never race a quad that wasn't paid off. I spend so much money on upkeep and parts throughout the season that a quad payment is the last thing on my mind, especially since I bent two frames last year.

coryatver
04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
got the nerfs on it today

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

The footpegs on the ktms are very weak and will crack under racing guaranteed it is not if it is when. And having nerfs bolted to them will make it happen sooner. Might want to get them gussetted or Keep your eye out on a deal for aftermarket ones or get some pro peg nerfs. Also the stock Razr tires are the 4 ply not 6 ply. Once you wear those out make sure you pick up some 6 ply for racing. Good luck.

KXRida
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
retail is $10,800. and with tax and all the bs and high interest loan sounds about right. The KTM is definitly not a budget quad. The honda and yam 450s you can get for 4,000 but the ktms are going closer to retail. I think my buddy paid 7500 for his 08 last summer came with the race part package and baldwin promo.

A good friend of mine just bought an 08 leftover ktm 450 from cernic's for 6970 OTD.

zack221
04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Put as much as you can on the principle of the loan above and beyond the monthly payment every month. Even if it's $20. Why would you want to pay $215 a month for something you're going to just beat the crap out of racing it? Think of what kind of shape it's going to be in in 4 years.

Don't you think in the next 4 years you might want to move out of your parents house or go to college? What if you get someone pregnant in that time? Have to start planning for the future. It's hard enough trying to make enough to support yourself, then you have to add a 200 dollar a month 4 wheeler payment.

You don't know it, but you've dug yourself in a hole. Pay as much as you can on that quad every month, you'll be happy you did in a few years!

I totally agree it sucks so bad having to pay for a fourwheeler I have paid 222.72 a month since february of 2008. I even paid 1500 down but this year I have put racing on hold and it should be paid for by august. It sucked having a fourwheeler payment all the way through high school.