PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problems

yamahardr15
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
last year I had problems with my starter so I took it in and got it fixed. now my starter has gone out again and just whines when I try to start it. Should I replace the starter again or should I just go with the kick start conversion? Also would you recommend replacing it with a stock starter or I saw a couple different brands with starters.
Thanks

310ESR
04-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Is the starter turning or just making noise? It could be starter clutch

Baileygunns
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Sounds like starter clutch but a kick start swap isn't a bad idea... Personal preference

yamahardr15
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
While the starter was in the fourwheeler when I tried to start it, it would make a whining, squealing noise. So I took it out and took it apart and cleaned it up and hooked it up the battery and it turned fined and sounded great so I put it all back together and it started to turn the motor but then it went back to the squealing. So I'm not sure if it is the starter? or the starter clutch? Also does anyone know how much it would to put a kick start on?

Scro
04-04-2010, 05:51 AM
If the starter is turning over fine, your starter clutch is bad. When they are going bad, they will periodically catch, and then start the whining you are talking about. It will eventually just whine, and never catch. Are you giving it gas while cranking? This is what makes the clutch go out, most of the time.

You can get a kickstart kit for around $400, and can put it on yourself in about 2-3 hours, if you are mechanically inclined. It is well worth the money.

MR4Engine202
04-04-2010, 12:34 PM
if the starter clutch is bad you can stick your finger in the hole were the starter goes in and try to turn that gear both ways if it does turn both ways its bad if it dosnt turn clockwise its good but this might be a little difficult to tell seeing how it seems to be an intermittent problem

yamahardr15
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
ok thanks for the advice I'll look into a kickstart kit and I heard somewhere there is a recall on the starter clutch so I'll see if thats true or not

DnB_racing
04-04-2010, 09:39 PM
you about 1year late on the recall maybe your dealer will still honer it mine didnt, but while you have it open put the kick in, its real easy