PDA

View Full Version : brake problem on a ford ranger?

woodsracer144
04-03-2010, 12:29 PM
ok so i had my fronts re done but i didnt do the rears and now the right rear(pass side) is leaking, i can tell its not a little one, the breaks are WAY weaker then they were... i noticed its around the fitting that goes in to the drum, so can you tighten it up there or whats wrong with it? i know this isnt the greatest discription post but i dont really know anything about hydro drum brakes...

CJM
04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Probably a leaking wheel cylinder or the fitting is fubar.

Your gonna need:
-New rear wheel cylinders (do both sides so they both work equally since ones worn out if you replace the other and such) about 20-40 dollars for the parts

-Rear shoes (brakes), a set should only be about 30-50 bucks

The drums are probably fine.

Basically if the cylinder is leaking they are gonna need to clean the crap out of the drum and replace the brakes since they are contaminated (they can be saved but for the trouble of already being in there its just safer to replace)

That make sense? Expect to pay about 250 dollars at your mechanic for this.

If its just a fitting you need a ne line or they might be able to put a new fitting in and make the line work, thats of course much cheaper.

woodsracer144
04-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Probably a leaking wheel cylinder or the fitting is fubar.

Your gonna need:
-New rear wheel cylinders (do both sides so they both work equally since ones worn out if you replace the other and such) about 20-40 dollars for the parts

-Rear shoes (brakes), a set should only be about 30-50 bucks

The drums are probably fine.

Basically if the cylinder is leaking they are gonna need to clean the crap out of the drum and replace the brakes since they are contaminated (they can be saved but for the trouble of already being in there its just safer to replace)

That make sense? Expect to pay about 250 dollars at your mechanic for this.

If its just a fitting you need a ne line or they might be able to put a new fitting in and make the line work, thats of course much cheaper.

i cant tell theres alot of fluid comming out of there and it looks like its that seal... im gonna be taking it to a guy monday i think cause i dont wanna **** it up...

Fear250r
04-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Brakes are not that hard to do. Just get out your manual and take your time. I just did everything on my S*** bag Ranger myself. My father delivers to a place and gets crazy discounts, but as long as a mechanic isn't doing it, you'll come out on top.

FreekShow
04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
yeah sounds like the wheel cylinder. like the other guy said replace both sides and make sure you clean everything up real good. they are very very simple to replace. look up directions on line if you are not sure what you are doing. especially the older rangers i dont know what year yours is but i had a 91 and it was cake to replace.

woodsracer144
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
well i got it, it was just a brake line. the fitting at the "y" where it splits and goes the the right rear and left rear was my only prob spot to breake the line loose on the right side.