PDA

View Full Version : need some info....

zach R 7x
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
can anyone explain to me how the manual clutch on the shifter works and it's advatages and disavantages,if any on a honda trx90. I know this was a heated topic a few years ago, but we ran against one last night in a local race and it would not sit at the gate in gear at a idle. our rules state as such...

ages 10-15yrs
2 stroke 80cc-104cc
4stroke 90cc-125cc
STOCK FRAME AND CASES.
all mini quads "MUST" have an axle no longer than 4" over stock and must be factory production quad with automatic clutch.

Now can anybody explain to me your interpetation of these rules and if you believe this quad would be legal for this class with this clutch kit in it.

thanks for any info ....Tim

team37
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
The way I understand it they have no clutch they are direct drive.They hold the shifter between gears on the line when the gate drops they drop the shift lever and it pops it into gear and it launches like a freakin pro - stock , If they were to lock up the brakes on the track it would stall. They remove a lot of rotating mass by removing the auto clutch = more hp. But it is prolly not legal in that class without the auto clutch. If that helps..................

zach R 7x
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by team37
The way I understand it they have no clutch they are direct drive.They hold the shifter between gears on the line when the gate drops they drop the shift lever and it pops it into gear and it launches like a freakin pro - stock , If they were to lock up the brakes on the track it would stall. They remove a lot of rotating mass by removing the auto clutch = more hp. But it is prolly not legal in that class without the auto clutch. If that helps..................

I am asumming that without this kit it will loose alot of power?

LT80
04-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Ask etondaddy. He had a TRX90 and went thru all that stuff..LOL

Ryko racing
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
We went through this a yr ago. The trx has a clutch when stock (it will idle in gear) the clutch is weak and when they bump the horsepower it tears them up. ( it also takes away power)

The engine guys found a direct drive which engages when the foot shifter is released( they can hold up and rev it to the moon until the gate drops)

If your rules say auto clutch have the referee stop him at the line while it is running and in neutral and put it in gear if it lurchs it is a direct drive.

district 14 in michigan allows these but no Cobra auto clutchs(which do idle in gear), if you have one of these cmon to Michigan its legal according to the rulebook.

atva went to production class and is any type of clutch.

Good luck... (Boy I am glad we are done with that battle.)

zach R 7x
04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
thanks Ryco, i am basically trying to see how big of an advantage over out cvt clutch's,and if it is a direct drive it most certainly is.

now i have an idea on how to approach this issue with the sanctioning body,because they have no clue about this clutching system and to them all they know is if there is not a lever on the handle bars for a clutch lever,they assume that it is a auto clutch.i know this quad will not idle in gear, as i watched him hold the shifter down and rev the motor to the moon before take off. so that to me in my mind from what you have told me is not legal for our class.

thanks, Tim

rookiewrench
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
If you can have a 104cc 2 stroke I don't think that you have to worry about his clutch if he is allowed only a 125 motor. Now if you are only running a 90cc cvt that may be a different story, but a 104cc cvt should be a significant advantage over the 4 stroke.

Is the honda guy running for points or is he just running for laps and seat time. I ask because when I would show up on my sons cobra with a mod motor people were not happy until I told them that I was just looking for seat time and not points. Some of those CRA parents can get a little testy!!

zach R 7x
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rookiewrench
If you can have a 104cc 2 stroke I don't think that you have to worry about his clutch if he is allowed only a 125 motor. Now if you are only running a 90cc cvt that may be a different story, but a 104cc cvt should be a significant advantage over the 4 stroke.

Is the honda guy running for points or is he just running for laps and seat time. I ask because when I would show up on my sons cobra with a mod motor people were not happy until I told them that I was just looking for seat time and not points. Some of those CRA parents can get a little testy!!

were you the one at Malvern last year,that got protested on the cobra?

what is funny about that is the guy that protested you is the one that ownes the quad i am questioning!

as far as him running for points,they are scoring him so i guess he is.

this has nothing to do with cc's,just do not believe we are comparing apples to apples with a cvt and this shifter clutch deal.

rookiewrench
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes we were, I do find that funny that he was the one that was having a fit about my son when everyone but him,i guess, knew that we did not want to worry about points. I think there is a clarification about auto clutch in the rules for atva that you could refer to but if he puts it in gear and with the rider off the bike the bike should still idle and not stall.
I hope that you can get them to clarify the rule and find him illegal because he was a prick to me about my sons quad. He did not even have the decency to tell me to my face about the protect when I was talking to him at the gate. He protested me immediatly after the first moto. I thought he also complained about Logans quad that race with it being a 70 but his son I beleive beat Logan.

Good Luck

zach R 7x
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by rookiewrench
Yes we were, I do find that funny that he was the one that was having a fit about my son when everyone but him,i guess, knew that we did not want to worry about points. I think there is a clarification about auto clutch in the rules for atva that you could refer to but if he puts it in gear and with the rider off the bike the bike should still idle and not stall.
I hope that you can get them to clarify the rule and find him illegal because he was a prick to me about my sons quad. He did not even have the decency to tell me to my face about the protect when I was talking to him at the gate. He protested me immediatly after the first moto. I thought he also complained about Logans quad that race with it being a 70 but his son I beleive beat Logan.

Good Luck

working on it!

GILCO
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
as i watched him hold the shifter down and rev the motor to the moon before take off. so that to me in my mind from what you have told me is not legal for our class.

thanks, Tim [/B][/QUOTE]

As for holding the shifter down and rev the motor to the moon you can do that with the auto clutch. The direct drive motors are more dependable. My son ran the stock auto clutch for a long time and was one of the last to change over at the nationals and the only reason we did is he broke the auto clutch or crank ( because of weight ) alot.
As for power the direct drive will rev quicker but the auto will make just as much power. We pulled just as many hole shots on the auto as we did the direct drive the only difference is the direct drive is more dependable.
Just to clairfly I am not taking sides with anyone just giving you the truth my son ( Colby ) rode TRX 90's for 4 years and thank god we are done with them. Hope that helps.

Wade

zach R 7x
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks guys for all the info. i talked to cra people and i think i got this handled.

Tim

Arctic Cat Dad
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Wait a minute. If he is holding the shifter between gears doesn't mean that it is a direct drive.That is the way Michael ran his Honda and it was an auto. You put it in 2nd gear and hold up on the shifter which put's it between gears and pin the throttle,drop your foot and keep it pinned and it stand straight up and come out of the hole like a rocket.PS you better have your butt way up on the tank and your head way over the bars or it will flip over!

Now if it is running and won't idel in gear it's a direct drive.

zach R 7x
04-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
Wait a minute. If he is holding the shifter between gears doesn't mean that it is a direct drive.That is the way Michael ran his Honda and it was an auto. You put it in 2nd gear and hold up on the shifter which put's it between gears and pin the throttle,drop your foot and keep it pinned and it stand straight up and come out of the hole like a rocket.PS you better have your butt way up on the tank and your head way over the bars or it will flip over!

Now if it is running and won't idel in gear it's a direct drive.

It will not idle in gear period! i watched him stall this quad at a indoor race in a tight corner,that tells me it is a direct drive.

This quad is very fast and has some major engine work done to it, i would bet that the normal clutch would not hold up to.

IF he can show me that it will idle in gear, i would have no problems with it at all.

frank parvin
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
i dont know what the problem is your aloud a 104cc 2strock it not a big deal ries out ran that same quad 7 out 8 times on a basiclly strck apex on 2fast kit no hi dollar clutch or susp just a rider and a orange apex .. do what i tell ries at the gate go have fun and ride 100% and dont worry whats on the gate. weve went to the gate 4 or 5 times and there be a z400 or a 250 r or a 400ex in the 300ex class and ries told me dad that not legal and i told him that were here to race whats on the gate not cry . just have fun and race because wintrow and salzman will be moving up next when ries moves to 450 class and class will be all yours

frank parvin
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
i dont know what the problem is your aloud a 104cc 2strock it not a big deal ries out ran that same quad 7 out 8 times on a basiclly strck apex on 2fast kit no hi dollar clutch or susp just a rider and a orange apex .. do what i tell ries at the gate go have fun and ride 100% and dont worry whats on the gate. weve went to the gate 4 or 5 times and there be a z400 or a 250 r or a 400ex in the 300ex class and ries told me dad that not legal and i told him that were here to race whats on the gate not cry . just have fun and race because wintrow and salzman will be moving up next when ries moves to 450 class and class will be all yours

Coley'sdad#8
04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
you can put the bike into second, hold the shifter up, rev it and drop the lever which engages the clutch, that is exactly how the stocker works. Now if the clutch is adjusted improperly it will not disengage fully and will cause motor to stall down, or if they knew clutch was slipping they might have tightened it up as a last ditch effort to get another race out of it.

zach R 7x
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by frank parvin

Thanks for the advice Frank, already delt with it and have moved on.