PDA

View Full Version : best all around tire??

RCWells
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I was riding woods today, tight trails, hard packed, some water holes, mud, nothing big, but wondering if I were to replace my stock tires, what is the best to go with? My stockers are a bit worn, not gone, but worn. I've been thinking of replacing.

I was thinking Razrs, but Brandon (on his 450R), said that he had a buddy that had Razrs and all they did was spin on hard pack woods trails like we were on and that they were ONLY good on MX tracks.

Is this true?

Can anyone with experience on Razrs clarify? Advice here? Should I stick with a stock type tire? Is there something better?

atv fan 28
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
i ran ITPs XCRs on my old 400, and they worked real good. this is another one of them subjects where you will get alot of different opinions.

RCWells
04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
And that's exactly what I'm looking for is opinions.

Lemme have 'em!!

IcutMetl
04-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
i ran ITPs XCRs on my old 400, and they worked real good. this is another one of them subjects where you will get alot of different opinions.

I will agree fully with this. I put the XCR's on my 400ex when they first came out; they were an excellent tire for it and I used the 20x11x10 size. They were a bit narrower than some others out there but were relatively light for a 6 ply. I found that they had plenty of bite, but could slide the hell out of them when you needed to, and I rode in alllll kinds of situations as well. My buddy bought a tire/rim package for his Warrior at the same exact time in the same sizes. I thought that the fronts held a line better on his but the rears didn't give the predictability that my XCR's did; he could hardly get them to slide out on command. However, that was on a relatively stock Warrior vs. a 400ex. Now that I have my 250R, I went with Razr2's. It's not a race-built machine, but HP isn't an issue. I find that the Razr2's are noticably heavier, that the fronts hold a line like super glue, and the rears chew, claw, and churn thru things at a lower speed than I'd ever thought they would. Like others have said, a Razr2 front and standard Razr rear would make a great combination because at times, the 2's really grab sometimes...almost too well. I've actually thought about going back to the ol' XCR's after these wear out...if they ever do, but the Razr 2's just hook up too damn good for XC type stuff. I think the Razr Ballance would be an excellent tire to look into if it fits your budget. Good luck!

bigbad400
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
i personally got away from the holeshot style tires. they work good in race conditions. but in your everyday trail there just not the tire for me. i am trying the kenda klaw xc this time around and i cant seem to find something they dont bite on. lol i can still have fun sliding around on the dirt roads and everything but it can get away from me if it bites good for a second it will wheelie right over. lol the holeshot hds i had would throw me all funny if i tried to do a doughnut they bite way to good on the sides and are way to heavy a tire in my opinion. but you will have them for a while. they do last. with the klaw they are dual directional for types of terrain. so far i only rode mine on hard direction ant it is wondeful.

nastyrider17
04-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I have the regular holeshots and they hook up great. The only complaint I have is they wear fast in sandy conditions.

Duf6
04-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I have razrs on mine and the only time I have any problems is in snow and i ride trails and tracks with them.

-TheDude-
04-03-2010, 12:54 PM
gncc all the way but xcr's are nice to used to run those

400man
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
currently I have 20-11x9 6ply razrs on my 400ex that have been "grooved" I bought mine this way used from a XC racer and this is what ALOT of the racers do is take a grinder and cut grooves down the center of the knobs. this lets the knobs flex alot more under acceleration and braking and lets em grab alot better on hardpack conditions. ive rode on both regular and "grooved" razr tires, and it is VERY noticable how much difference there is between em.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/razrtires004.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/razrtires003.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/razrtires002.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/razrtires001.jpg

MidnightBlade
04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
im looking at CST ambush or razr's idk what to get

400man
04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
and my brother has a set of the razr ballance tires on the rear of his banshee. if you are looking for a set of tires that HOOK, these are for you. they are similar to razr 2's, except alot more spacing between the knobs. but these things can make it a handfull if you ride aggressivly. sliding can be tricky cause they have some big sidewall lugs that grip easy. he has to run em with about 10 psi air cause thats they only way he can get em to slide when he wants. but you will not have to worry about getting stuck anywhere, cause these tires will dig right though anything.

he had these tires when he raced at the 09 ironman gncc....got the holeshot with em, heres the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiq9leyn00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tnLoVzG0Q

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires014.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires015.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires017.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires018.jpg

CJM
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Kenda klaw XC, I really liked the fact that you can flip the wheels around and they work for both hard/medium and medium/soft depending on which way you go.

I have heard several reports that flipped for soft terrain they will go up anything.

2001warriorman
04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Well from experience ive ridden on razrs and they seem to hook pretty good imo, they slide pretty decently get pretty good traction and are deffinatley a better all around tire over the stockers. I'd say theyre the most versatile, The razr 2's even on a motor built bike are to heavy for my taste and I just dont like. They hook good but I would only use them if I were only doing GNCC, hare scrambles, or soopy woods riding. BKTS were more along the lines or the razrs but a cheaper rubber and the traction lacked a little more to the razrs and wore a bit quicker but were a good tire.

Two tires I haven't seen mentioned that IMO are AWSOME tires are kenda knarlys. They slide like a razr, are predictable, last well, and hook good I've had alot of people recomend them for my banshee and as we all know banshees are a SIV to get to hook good. If you grooved them similar to the picture of the razrs they'd have AMAZING bite.

Last but not least the classic TURF TAMERS!!! I had a set on my banshee that were pretty worn and they got me everywhere. Although they get kinda gummed up in mud. They worked very good in the trails and hard packed a ride on and I've ridden on NEW 18 inch ones on atc 250r and it hooked like a bad outa hell. They slide very nicely as well and can be grooved for awsome traction.

Many people have been using OHTSU's or even I razrs. They look just like the I razr and are supposed to hook awsome and are relatively cheap. Theyre a replacement tire especially for a 400ex, or 250r.

All in all normal razrs, turf tamers, kenda gnarly, kenda klaws, and OHTSU, are very good tires. You can't go wrong with any of them.

tbrackman84
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
ITP GNCC's or iRazrs in my opinion, but those razr ballance look freakin' sick too.

2001warriorman
04-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
ITP GNCC's or iRazrs in my opinion, but those razr ballance look freakin' sick too.

The Razr 2s hooked reall good I can't imagine the ball balances theyre probably actually a little lighter. But theyre just a real beefy tire especially for a 400. It just makes them lose the fun factor to me.

witech
04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Kenda klaw XC, I really liked the fact that you can flip the wheels around and they work for both hard/medium and medium/soft depending on which way you go.

I have heard several reports that flipped for soft terrain they will go up anything.
Ill second that. My favorite sure footed cornering tire that doesnt have a tendancy to slide out or suddenly loose side traction with higher horsepower engines.
They also work in sand but just dont float well in snow.
They also last for years.

guenther
04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm a big fan of my GBC X-rex for running GNCC. However if you are just putting around, they probably aren't the tire for you since they are extremely puncture resistant which makes them firm. I've been over some of the narliest terrain you can imagine with not one hole. They HOOK up and wear great too.

big_poppa49
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Maxxis Razr all around. Nuff said

RCWells
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the opinions, keep 'em coming!

honda400ex2003
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I like my razrs for everything in general but if i am going to be doing some deep mud type stuff or there are ruts and such i take the mudsharks. they are flat like the rest of teh sport tires but are wide and have 1" lugs on them. great 21" tire for rough trails with very minimal track time although, i have jumped a few times with the sharks on lol. hit some pretty big stuff with them actually. lol. steve

bergoff
04-05-2010, 12:22 AM
i like kenda claws for a general tire. but if i want to play in the slop and snow i also break out the mud sharks. they dig to china and work great. i had no ploblem pulling my son around the field in snow up to my nerfs.

sc400ex_rider
04-05-2010, 08:45 AM
wow them razr ballance tires are sic. a lot more knob there than ohtsu.

rcatvrider
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I love the stock tires but they puncture easy and wear pretty fast. Razrs are pretty good but suck in snow. I have a set of mudlites but they are 22's:( . I think when i get the money I will be running gbc x-rex fronts and razr rears.

bergoff
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I had a set of stockers that I use for a summer spare set. What sucks is on the second ride I put a hole in the sidewall so I installed a patch and tubed them. They have held up well and make great spares.

mitchconley
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Holeshot XCR's. love em

HondaRider07
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
i have itp holeshot xcr's and i do riding from sand to mud and have not had a problem anywhere