PDA

View Full Version : Toggle switch for fan hook up

Latemodel32
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I wanna hook a toggle switch up so i can turn the fan on when i want to. I have a 2005 450R has anyone done this on a 05 i have seen it done on 06+ ? And have Pics and info.

Thanks

Scro
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I haven't done this, but I think I know how to do it. There are two wires coming out of the fan - hot and ground. You will want to splice the switch into the hot wire. Then you will want ground the temp sensor, which is the wire right above the thermostat housing. I'm pretty sure that's all you have to do.

Latemodel32
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
The fan wire is the blue wiring housing are you saying splice into that?

Scro
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Yes, I believe that is correct. One is ground, and one is hot. Cut the hot wire, and the ends you cut will go to each side of the toggle switch.

Now that I think about it, you could probably do either one of the wires and it would work, as long as the wire above the thermostat housing is grounded.

Latemodel32
04-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Before i start hacking the wiring i'll shove1 of the wires(off the toggle it has 2 but it doesnt matter ) into the blue plug in(pic above) and take the other wire(on toggle) and wrap it around the thermostat wiring (that connects into the thermo) and i will ground both of them and we will see.

MR4Engine202
04-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Scro is close with what he is saying if you want the fan to stay on all the time just ground the wire from the temp sensor on the head. If you want 100% control over the fan disconnect the wire from the temp sensor and hook it to a switch...then run a wire from the other side of the switch to ground and every time the circuit is closed the fan will come on. now if you want it to come on normally or when you want it to then leave the wire plugged into the temp sensor and splice into it to one side of the switch then the other side to ground now the sensor will activate it normally or if you feel you want it on you can close the circuit manually

Latemodel32
04-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys i m going to mess with it tomorrow when i have time i took a vac day

Latemodel32
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Neither of the above ways works. My fan is fine and does work i tested it out by putting jumpers to a battery..Here is a little ifo

Its a 2005 trx 450R
Removed headlight
Removed on/off/light switch
Removed rear brake light

It has a killswitch wired in (gounded at the coil)

Maybe this toggle switch can not be performed on a 05 do to there is no battery ?

Scro
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Latemodel32
Neither of the above ways works. Mine fan is fine and does work i tested it out by putting jumpers to a battery..Here is a little ifo

Its a 2005 trx 450R
Removed headlight
Removed on/off/light switch
Remover rear brake light

It has a killswitch wired in (gounded at the coil)

Maybe this toggle switch can not be performed on a 05 do to there is no battery ?

When you grounded the wire above the thermostat housing with the quad running, the fan should have come on. If not, there is something else wrong.

Latemodel32
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I did all kinds of combos only to get more and more pissed off. I ran a jumper from the wire(Above the thermo) to the coil for ground..Didnt work also to the frame same results.And in the process i had a jumper wire to the fan hot wire(Blue pic above) nothing. For some reason i dont think you can do this to kicker 450Rs only er's . Because where is the voltage coming from ? I was told and im starting to believe them that if you remove the on/off switch and headlight your fan will never work.......I mean i can ride it for awhile but it gets hot and boils in the rad and starts to come out the over flow tube. What the point of that if i go trail riding i d have to stop every half hr . I guess i ll just sell it like planned.

kenny450er
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
did you try splicing into the red wire at your condenser to power your fan

Latemodel32
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
ya know i looked at that but didnt try it. So what do you suggest trying. Splice into the red on the condenser and the other end to the blue wire(fan motor)? Confussed lol

Scro
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I may be asking the obvious, but is it running when you trying these things?

kenny450er
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
yea red to blue with your jumper wire at the fan then ground the green wire from fan to a good spot on motor or frame then start your quad and see if the fan runs

MR4Engine202
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM

i was thinking the same thing

Latemodel32
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by MR4Engine202

i was thinking the same thing

Yes its running i should have mentioned that lol

I was told on another forum i need the key/assembly hooked up to get the 12v to the fan. I still have everything i took off and i'll try there method when i get time.

Key turned on(and plugged back in) splice into the fan wire then to the toggle from the toggle to the temp sensor to ground. We will fig this out yet guys i promise:D

MR4Engine202
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
aaa yes you need the key hooked up for it to work