PDA

View Full Version : So tired of this hard start crap!

Mochanic
04-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Please help me figure out what the **** is going on with this thing!

2001 400EX completely stock motor, stock carb with choke removed and 42 pilot installed. Good compression, valves adjusted to spec, good spark, new fuel, carb cleaned and messed with like 19 times. (so it seems at least)

Still hard to start and get to stay running UNTIL it warms up then everything is fine.

It's always been hard to start, but now its just ridiculous!
I have tried both the 40 and 42 pilot and neither seems to make a difference. Adjusting the airscrew on the front of the carb doesn't really help for starting but does make a difference once it's warmed up and running.
I am 110% the carb is free of any and all trash in all the circuits and jets. Used several brake cleaners along with 175psi air to blow them out.

Any help will truely be very much appreciated!

bkelley
04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Seems like you have everything covered. Maybe the carb is just going bad completely.

aDviSol2y
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Mine was like that until I put the 42 pilot jet in. Yours sounds like it is way cold blooded. I think you should put the choke back in. Even with the 42 pilot, when its cold, I need the choke for the first 30 sec to a minute. Honestly, I don't feel there is must gain from removing the choke. If you don't want to go to the work of putting the choke back in, just take your air cleaner off, hold your hand over the intake boot, and try starting. It will be like putting the choke on. If it starts, you know you need to put the choke back in.

CJM
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
How old is the gas your using and are you using 87, 89 or 93?

Friend of mine had the same issue except all stock. Stabil did nothing to keep the gas but even brand new gas had issues before.

We filled up with super and what do you know all better.

Lower grades have to much ethanol..

burnthesnikle
04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
uhhh...it's a Honda...cold blooded...mine does the same thing...

jcs003
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
i think there is just some garbage fuel out there. alot of people are having similiar issues.

burnthesnikle
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i think there is just some garbage fuel out there. alot of people are having similiar issues.

i own several hondas and they all do this...they are cold blooded starting machines...always have been....my dad has a brand new 400 ex and does the same with no mods at all running 93 octane...not to be a dick but get use to it being hard to keep running cold...and i don't give a ***** if its the middle of summer...

jcs003
04-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by burnthesnikle
i own several hondas and they all do this...they are cold blooded starting machines...always have been....my dad has a brand new 400 ex and does the same with no mods at all running 93 octane...not to be a dick but get use to it being hard to keep running cold...and i don't give a ***** if its the middle of summer...

well, i had a 99 400ex: never had a problem with it starting.

i have trx250r: it has only been difficult to start recently.

i have a 400ex framed/250r hybrid that has been diffficult to start recently.

sc400ex_rider
04-03-2010, 01:06 PM
lots of cheap gas going around. also get the 450r carb with the real plunger type fuel enrichment system. its worth the mod to me. turn the gas on, pull the choke and it starts 3-4 seconds and stays running every time.

nastyrider17
04-03-2010, 01:29 PM
My ex is hard to start all year. You just need to live with it.

MidnightBlade
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
i have the 42 or whatever is in my sig pilot, and it wont run without choke on a 90* day i have to run with the choke on half for like 20 min before it will run without me giving it throttle.

MtnEX
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
You guys with the hard cold starting should check out this thread...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=431528&highlight=fuel+screen

The cold nature is typical but obviously not normal.

It might be this fuel screen in the carb. I just rebuilt my carb and rejetted and I had this thread saved... but wouldn't you know that I forgot to fool with this dang screen while I had an easy chance.

I did the 42 pilot but did not remove the choke.

Not sure how it's going to cold start yet. I haven't got the idle and fuel screw adjustment figured out yet.

badboystrue
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Try taking your needle valve up one notch and turn your idle air screw out two and a half turns.I had the same problen

Thumpin440ex
04-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Bad gas could be a issue, but they are just cold blooded freaks. My bike was always hard to start..

John