PDA

View Full Version : somethings loose in rear end. help!

big_poppa49
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I have been hearing this noise coming from the rear end for a while now, but just have been ignoring it. But I would like to figure out what it is, or if maybe it supposed to be like this.

when I get off the bike and grab the grab bar and shake it hard from left to right, I can see my swingarm and axlecarrier stays put, but the axle and everything attached (sprocket, brake disc. Like, if you look at the brake disc, when moving it left to right, the caliper stays put, but the disc slides about 1/4" left to right.

im trying to get a video uploaded. its on my cell phone, but having a hard time getting it to uploaded to PC.

Thanks for any help on what this is. Oh and also, just by feeling the big axle nut appears to be tight, so I dont think thats it.

And note I have had the axle carrier replaced a while back (like 7-8 years ago) by a local nike shop due to my bearings shredded to bits messing up my carrier.

bherriman
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm kinda just guessing here but if you are sure the swingarm isn't moving then its not the swing arm bearings. I'm leaning towards the carrier. 7-8 years is quite a bit of time on one especially if you do some sand riding and don't get it cleaned up all the way.

big_poppa49
04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
could it be just bearings?

and yes I do alot of trail/creek/mud riding

bherriman
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Yea all that sand and gritty stuff just eats those bearings alive if you don't get it completely washed out..

big_poppa49
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
is this an easy process to do, if its just the bearings? Like do it yourself kind of deal? Any special tools? thanks

bherriman
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
check this out

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350