PDA

View Full Version : High comp piston, now starter won't turn over...

zerolm
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Rebuilt engine including a 13.5 to 1 piston and now stock starter will not turn engine over. Purchased battery on E-bay that was supposed to have higher cranking amps for this specific purpose, but it does no better than the stock battery. Once it gets to the compression stroke it stops, then barely turns over. Other than the $500 kickstart kit, any suggestions?? Thanks in advance..

IdahoMX
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Timing is off

kfx400rider03
04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
i have the same compresion piston and have this problem sometimes.
randomly when i go to start my quad it will crank half a turn then stop. i guess that is the compression stroke. then i press the start button again and it cranks over fine. could be a weak starter too.
and double check the timing first though.

TitanMotorworks
04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
check to see if your auto decomp. is not stuck out. it happens often

Speed_MDS2
04-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I've been running 14.1 for 2 years now with no starting problems. Something else must be going on here. Like others said, check your timing. What kind of cam is in it, that can make a big dif aswell. Does the starter sound like its spinning freely or does it lock up and stop spinning when the motor does?

zerolm
04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry I didn't reply before, I didn't know all you guys had replied ( I thought it would email me). Anyway, the compression release was hung wide open, seems as if the spring didn't get coiled correctly. Turns over great now, thanks for the replies and I hope this thread helps someone in the future!!

TitanMotorworks
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
:) :) your welcome