PDA

View Full Version : NEW CC RULE 60 to 90CC's

Bowhunter69
04-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Just wondering what everybody thinks about the 70s being able to run in the 90cc class?

Myself I see it both ways.

Pro:: One way it is nice to be able to bring a 70 and run 2 classess.

Con:: I can see some local kids on 90's who look forward to racing at a national race. Only to be knocked out of Sundays show by a 70cc that jumped into his class.

What do the rest of you think??

Ride1Rob
04-01-2010, 07:03 AM
So it's a con for the 90's to race against 70's? Shouldn't that be the other way around :ermm: . 70's getting knocked off by the 90's in that class?

Logan #34's Dad
04-01-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm in favor of the rule as most of you know. The 70 is the exact same machine as the 90 just UNDER-POWERED. The only issue is cc levels because the machines fit inside the rules for the class. People want to whine about not making the field if they get beat by a lesser quad. This is the Nationals people - the top tear of racing. If your not prepared then you go home. This is not basketball where if little Johnny don't make the team - We'll create another team so he can play. Welcome to the real world.
Everyone has problems over the racing weekend as we did. We could have folded up tent (literally) and went home AND may have to in the future. Sorry to be so harsh but thats the way it is and this spilled over from the other thread.

LT80
04-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Let's race!

zach R 7x
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I'm in favor of the rule as most of you know. The 70 is the exact same machine as the 90 just UNDER-POWERED. The only issue is cc levels because the machines fit inside the rules for the class. People want to whine about not making the field if they get beat by a lesser quad. This is the Nationals people - the top tear of racing. If your not prepared then you go home. This is not basketball where if little Johnny don't make the team - We'll create another team so he can play. Welcome to the real world.
Everyone has problems over the racing weekend as we did. We could have folded up tent (literally) and went home AND may have to in the future. Sorry to be so harsh but thats the way it is and this spilled over from the other thread.

i agree with Rocky on this one, i don't mind the rule,just do not like the fact that they implimented it at the first race.

The bottom line of this is most of our parts come from scooters that are raced over seas,they run 70's over there and spend more r&d on the 70's than the 90's, mallossi came out with the BIG Bore kit and the evened the plain,but now with all the new stage 6, malloaai team cyl,bidlo,etc. they are back upto the 90 hp.the 2-fast came out and has put the 90's back on top,but are very expensive and are hard to get. we had a mallossi 90 kit built for this year and it was very fast,but a 2-fast came avalible,we broke the college fund out and bought one and are simply amazed what these things put out when ported and tunned in with a great pipe! can't wait to get it on the track!

1lapdown
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
All this chest thumping is why I will probably never take my kid to a national.

All the 70 dads feel better when they go up to the 90 class and beat a 90. Fact is the built 70's are almost just as fast and they top 70's will all out-power the average 90. There isnt that much difference between the quads when they are built. I may be mistaken but the green 70 was running about 5th on the hole shot on the "pel city" video so it obviously had more power than a majority of the 90's out there. He wasnt running on a less powerful quad. Saying he came to the class on a less powerful quad isnt correct.....The 90's just need to learn to spend more money I guess.

This may seem strange but my kid runs a 70, we dont even own a 90. A good rule for people like us who will never have to get a 90 now.

Logan #34's Dad
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by zach R 7x
i agree with Rocky on this one, i don't mind the rule,just do not like the fact that they implimented it at the first race.

Tim, that does not make any sense. Would you rather them implement it half way through the season? The rules for the year are set from the beginning till the end.

STOCKRACING917
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Voicing an opinion is not whining. Pros and cons to the issue. And 1lapdown is right. Just saved you guys a whole bunch of money. Go for it. Lt80 is right. Let's race. If we never win a race this is gonna be the highlight of my kids childhood and friends we've made are totally worth it.

Logan #34's Dad
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 1lapdown
All this chest thumping is why I will probably never take my kid to a national.

All the 70 dads feel better when they go up to the 90 class and beat a 90. Fact is the built 70's are almost just as fast and they top 70's will all out-power the average 90. There isnt that much difference between the quads when they are built. I may be mistaken but the green 70 was running about 5th on the hole shot on the "pel city" video so it obviously had more power than a majority of the 90's out there. He wasnt running on a less powerful quad. Saying he came to the class on a less powerful quad isnt correct.....The 90's just need to learn to spend more money I guess.

Just an FYI, I don't have a big bank roll by anymeans. Heck, I'm trying to figure out how we are getting from one race to another. Anybody wanna buy a Harley?
As far as my 70 being "built" I'll have ya know, It is a bolt-on Malossi kit with ZERO work in it. It's all in the clutching and gearing my friend. I've been at this for a very long time and have accrude parts as we went. If you listen to the right people you can make things happen.

LT80
04-01-2010, 10:02 AM
"All this chest thumping is why I will probably never take my kid to a national."
1lapdown, I really do feel bad about that statement.
1) All the bench racing is done in here. At the track, it's all for the kids. You'll see the same 2 that will argue in a forum be the first ones there to lend a hand or part to the other.
2) If your racer is whipping the locals, he/she deserves to come to a National. Course, that's my opinion.

I'd like to add, cc's bb's dd's whatever. It takes a rider!!!

So to reiterate,,,,bring your rider and let's race. :D

rookiewrench
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The "Dusenberry Rule" is a rule that I don't think that people should complain about. People say that the racing is all about the kid, so this rule helps more kids than it hurts. Rocky you just seem to find people to disagree with you. Last year it was running a 70 cvt in the 70 single speed class after you were told that you could now this. There is no doubt that it is disheartning to see your kid not qualify for the sunday main but this is racing, maybe they will have to work on their skill for the next race or us as parents need to learn or spend more money to get our kid to the next level. The Nationals is a different game from the racing stand point, only the best or the luckiest or the ones with the most money survive.

The 90cvt people still have 3 classes that they can run in. 90 cvt, 90 production and 90 production JR or Sr. I say sign them up in all classes and let them race. They will qualify for one of them because only 90cvt had over 20 riders I beleive. It "only" cost another $40 per class is you want your kid to ride in the sunday main. The 70 cvt's did not have that many choices until the rule change.

This is just one mans opinion!!
Good luck to everyone out there

Jeffrey Miller

CRBOGGAN
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
My son did not get to race Sun but I am ok with the rules if it works out for the majority. This was our first nat and if money holds out we will try more. We had a good time but saw we need to work hard spend money and have luck on our side like someone said we can all talk big on here but at the track I have never been around a better group and I have been around some type of racing all my life.

Reimer Racing
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Rocky it is not about having the biggest bank roll. Logan's motor is a unported malossi cyl and crank. It's all in the clutching and gearing. You can buy everything for less then 600 Dollars. A good pipe helps also. So the family with the biggest bank roll is not always going to win.

For all of you who thinks that Rocky is loaded, did you happen to see what him and Logan were camped in?

rookiewrench
04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Rocky sure knows how to down play all his"MILLIONS" Those cops that are on the take do just fine, don't let that 1984 four winds motorhome fool you. Its decked out inside.

CRBOGGAN
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes a big mud hole with a tent.I herd people talking about saving the spot just for him so mabey all the others could have some kind of advantage over his little rocket piolt lol. Just joking. The setup he had was probably fun for the kids but hard on dads back.

CRBOGGAN
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes a big mud hole with a tent.I herd people talking about saving the spot just for him so mabey all the others could have some kind of advantage over his little rocket piolt lol. Just joking. The setup he had was probably fun for the kids but hard on dads back.

Reimer Racing
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rookiewrench
Rocky sure knows how to down play all his"MILLIONS" Those cops that are on the take do just fine, don't let that 1984 four winds motorhome fool you. Its decked out inside.

LOL

But he did not take the motor home. Logan and Rock slept in the back of his Mother inlaws Envoy.

thequadfather+2
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Neither do we. I work 2 full time jobs to do this. I work mon-fri 8 hours a day at one job and work another job on Sunday 24hrs, 12 on monday night and 12 on wednesday night. If I did not do that we wouldnt be racing anywhere. I cant afford to mod both quads at the same time thats why our 70 has almost nothing.

Thats not an excuse, we're here to race. Just pointing out that many folks do what they have to do. Kinda reminds me of stories of the Nascar guys trying to scrape up money for entry fees and tires years ago before the sport got popular. I gave up all my toys to do this...sold it to buy something that would pull an trailer and 2 quads. 3 years of hard work gone over night, still glad I did.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid118.photobucket.com/albums/o120/rotorwashphotos/LIGHTNING.flv">

zach R 7x
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Tim, that does not make any sense. Would you rather them implement it half way through the season? The rules for the year are set from the beginning till the end.

My complaint is basically that, this rule should of been implemented in the rule book for the 2010 season not at the first race ,announced over the damn P.A.system or by a sticky note on the race board. I personally don't care about the rule,just don't like the way it was handed down to us.

If i would of known about this rule change earlier in the year,Zach would of been riding a 70 this year and not a 90. we stayed with the 90 so we could run both the cvt and the auto class.

Logan #34's Dad
04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Trust me Tim, Your gonna want ALL 90cc's you have. A few of these boys were incredible. Zach will keep up on a 70 but win.... no way! Unless you have some luck.

marsrace2
04-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys, just try to remember, this is for the Kids!

CRBOGGAN
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Bruce please put up the pell city race like you did the last vid of your truck so I can show off all these kids at work.

04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
How in the world could some one possibly get mad for running a 70 in the 90 class?? This has me boggeled. I just dont understand how someone could even go there. 2 years ago yes Todays new technology NO!!! Its all about the rider and motor. You may want to argue but if you dont have a motor to keep up (meaning two people who ride exactly the same NO difference) then your not going to. But if your a dad who THINKS his son or daughter rides full out and they dont no use in a big powerful motor as he wont reach its potenetial. Waste of money. If you tell your motor builder oh hes on the throttle all the way around the track and he isnt your hurting the way your kids ride and the performance of the motor. JMO and please remember JMO!!!! I ran Coles 90 in the 200-240 blaster class and placed 4th. All that was rider. I out rode most of them and the rest just beat me by not much at all. RIDE RIDE RIDE seat time means almost everything, Motor means the rest.

thequadfather+2
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Chip, I put another link up from photobucket on the original thread in the DRR forum on the last post. That should do it for those that cant get you tube at work...:D

zach R 7x
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Trust me Tim, Your gonna want ALL 90cc's you have. A few of these boys were incredible.

Yea I know,but i just wanted to join in on the conversation LOL!!

Racing at Malvern friday, you going to come up and have some fun?

Logan #34's Dad
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Am I allowed to run my 70? Hehe.

LT80
04-01-2010, 01:45 PM

201-open (age classes)...""WHEW"" didn't want to worry about a 70cc machine beating me!:D

mushinracing
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
if i here one more person say that a 70 is lesser of a machince then yall dont know jack i have some of the fastest 90 in the country and watched one of mark smith 70 roll out right with us. i think it is bull crap . yeah it helped rocky but i remember when his son got dock a race when he won on a 70 so he and i and others spent money to build 90 . now this the promoters group makes up changes on fri night over a p.a . boys we are all in trouble the day the promoter changes A.M.A class structures thats why we pay that money every year so the rules are sanctioned by a outside source. This is a very scarey thing just wait until it effects you one day .
and as far as clutching rocky your full of it TRY HOT QUADS pipe or hetricks pipe and i think ty from profile makes the best one. but ty is the only one i know who will give you what you need to win a title in the 70 cvt class. heck cole shake won on his set up just as much as marks the only thing is if your not a team member you aint gettin marks stuff. i dont know about hetrick i know dj has a heck of a set-up
motors make horse power , clucthing just delivers it

04-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I have alwaysed believed a 70 would beat a 90. 70s has always been the fast quads. When I said 2 years ago is because if someone showed up with a built 70 it would beat all the 90s. Now us 90s have a better chance to keep up. I have seen smoking fast 70s. 70s are very impressive.

LT80
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
"boys we are all in trouble the day the promoter changes A.M.A class structures thats why we pay that money every year so the rules are sanctioned by a outside source. This is a very scarey thing just wait until it effects you one day . "

Where you been Scott? The AMA congress and it's official rule decisions are only official 'recomendations' to the promotors group.
I bet you thought the AMA congress made the rules.:eek2:

The infamous 2 words..."promotor discretion".

Stick around, we'll help ya get up to speed. :D :D:devil:

Reimer Racing
04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
as far as clutching rocky your full of it

Scott I beg to differ not having the correct roller wgt. to match the tourge spring makes a big difference.

thequadfather+2
04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Toby I always read your post but come on man sounds like you are straddling the fence here...

Earlier you said...

"How in the world could some one possibly get mad for running a 70 in the 90 class??"

later you say...

"I have alwaysed believed a 70 would beat a 90. 70s has always been the fast quads. When I said 2 years ago is because if someone showed up with a built 70 it would beat all the 90s"

Now I said I was in the middle on this but come on man, grow a pair!

:D :D :D :devil:

Rocky, our 90 has the malossi straight out of the box. You beat us up the hill by 15 quad lengths, probably more. Our clutch and gear aint that far off...you got more motor than that.
The rest was done by Logan, he was flat laying the smack down and there aint no doubt about that.

fish-d-fish
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
This is hilarious.. Why have classes? Heck, my kid is 60#..if he were 150# then let him run in the 450 class? Come on..Every freakin builder in this forum knows a new 70 will run with the top 2% of 90's out there, and when clutched right and geared and rider weight is considered, will be the top 2% on any day.. toss of the coin.. Rocky, stock malossi..LOL. Definitions are funny too. IMO the 70's should be allowed to run in the 90 class for bragging rights only, NOT for points. Get a 90 if ya wanna run in the class. This is a hilarious thread

bignasty
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
April's Fools..... Right Guys?????;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

L&L'sdad96
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
How in the world could some one possibly get mad for running a 70 in the 90 class?? This has me boggeled. I just dont understand how someone could even go there. 2 years ago yes Todays new technology NO!!! Its all about the rider and motor. You may want to argue but if you dont have a motor to keep up (meaning two people who ride exactly the same NO difference) then your not going to. But if your a dad who THINKS his son or daughter rides full out and they dont no use in a big powerful motor as he wont reach its potenetial. Waste of money. If you tell your motor builder oh hes on the throttle all the way around the track and he isnt your hurting the way your kids ride and the performance of the motor. JMO and please remember JMO!!!! I ran Coles 90 in the 200-240 blaster class and placed 4th. All that was rider. I out rode most of them and the rest just beat me by not much at all. RIDE RIDE RIDE seat time means almost everything, Motor means the rest. TOBY tell them how many blasters was in that race LOL SPONSORED bike for dad to race LOL

04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Ok I will Curtis 8 Blaster riders. Not to bad. I placed 3rd in the heat to.

04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Heres a pic at corner 4. Last lap. Seth is in front and here is 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th. I placed 4th got a trophy and 15.00 cash lol.

Reimer Racing
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Toby now thats funny. Bouns winning the loot.

dericsdad
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Okey...so since it doesn't matter anymore... and since we have just started building our motor for the nat's, which one is cheaper to build the fastest???

A 70 or a 90???

Will this one work good "out of the box stock?"

http://www.malossiusaonline.com/Malossi_Tuned_Aluminum_Team_Modular_Cylinder_Kit_p/3112642.t0.htm

Reimer Racing
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Depending on your childs age I'd Build a 70 and ride out the rule. That way you could run 2 classes. ;)

dericsdad
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Deric will be 12 in may, and weighs 80 lbs., so may only race one more year on the cvt's. Just looking for the most bang for my buck is all.

Ride1Rob
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
So I've learned something.... 70's outrunning the 90's. Is this why alot of kids run 90's at the local tracks and drop down to 70's at Nats? I thought it was because of the level of competition myself. The more I find out about these lil 2 strokes the more I'm glad we're running a thumper.

Logan #34's Dad
04-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Gentlemen, I swear my 70 engine is an unported, out of the box Malossi cylinder. I bought that and the crank from Marc at HotQuads last year. It sits on an mismatched, hogged out, set of cases that went with my old Metrakit. Heck, the transfer ports don't even line up with the cases. I need to add material to the inside of the cases where the cylinder meets the cases but I'm scared too. :confused:. It has a Stage6 ignition. Yes, Scott, the 70 Hetrick pipe is awesome BUT the Trackside worked almost as well. I'm telling ya, the clutching is the key, get the stall right and keep the rpm range where the pipe likes it and the gearing to keep those rpms. Poor Logan has had to make hundreds of passes in the yard while I "figured" it out. I've worked with the same clutches since '05. Ran the same belt all season last year.
Our 70 is not even close to the fastest one out there, did you see Wotring! That Dad has his stuff dailed in! Don Bassani is squared away as well.
Also, Scott, Did you see how fast T. Mack, J. Voiles, C. Shake's 90cc quads were? There is NO 70cc engine that will compete in a drag race to turn one with ANY of those machines - NONE. Again, this is the Nationals and if we want to keep up with the best we're gonna have to step up to that level.

zach R 7x
04-02-2010, 05:54 AM

actually,YES ! CRA changed there rules also (but it was changed in time to put it in the rule book), i do believe it is 0-104cc in the 90 class now.
Guyer will be running his 70 in the sr mini class.

Reimer Racing
04-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Poor Logan has had to make hundreds of passes in the yard while I "figured" it out. I've worked with the same clutches since '05.

O you figured it out yourself did you???? O sure take all the credit!! You should have listened to me in the beginning of the season last year. LOL LOL :blah:

Logan #34's Dad
04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Okay Reimer, I'll give you some credit on getting me squared away. I think we have fixed most of the worlds problems with our conversations! As I've said before, If people listen and absorb what the RIGHT people say they could go along way.

T@AFP
04-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by zach R 7x
actually,YES ! CRA changed there rules also (but it was changed in time to put it in the rule book), i do believe it is 0-104cc in the 90 class now.
Guyer will be running his 70 in the sr mini class.

Tait told me the same thing and wanted me to look at CRA rules for clarification. It looks like the 50's can run w/ the 70's but the 70's w/the 90's? I dunno :confused:

It says:
Senior Mini Quad (10-15 yr old)
2 stroke 80cc-104cc
4 stroke 90cc-125cc

Junior Mini 9yr old & under
0-76cc
0-79cc

zach R 7x
04-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Tait told me the same thing and wanted me to look at CRA rules for clarification. It looks like the 50's can run w/ the 70's but the 70's w/the 90's? I dunno :confused:

It says:
2 stroke 80cc-104cc
4 stroke 90cc-125cc

0-76cc
0-79cc

YES, your right Tom, thanks for the correction.i re-read the rules ,BUT... if you remember in 08 at Malvern,Maci got protested for running a 70 in the 90 class and Peggy said they will not make a kid ride a larger cc quad,just because they had to move up to a older age group.

i believe in CRA,they worry more about the age bracket than the lower cc # of the quad. jmho:p

this is something that i would check into if i was going to run a 70 in the 90 class

T@AFP
04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
08'? Remember? I can't remember yesterday?

Chances are there will be "one of those parents" who will protest a 70 in the 90 class at a CRA race.
Even though Peggy is cool w/ that. A rule is a rule.

Someone will bit_ _.:rolleyes:

Logan #34's Dad
04-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I think we'll stay home. You know, Nobody cares what you run UNTIL you beat them.

CRBOGGAN
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
All this on the forum is just talk I wish I had my stuf together like you do and with time I hope we do like you said know one cares until your winning. With hard work and luck I hope one day everyone is on here talking about how fast my son was on that quad I built. But for now all I can do is pick at the fast guys on here and hope they slip up and let out some of there hard earned secrets.

You know this forum is the dads race track we are all still just big kids and after the race we can all sit back and laugh.

CRBOGGAN
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
All this on the forum is just talk I wish I had my stuf together like you do and with time I hope we do like you said know one cares until your winning. With hard work and luck I hope one day everyone is on here talking about how fast my son was on that quad I built. But for now all I can do is pick at the fast guys on here and hope they slip up and let out some of there hard earned secrets.

You know this forum is the dads race track we are all still just big kids and after the race we can all sit back and laugh.

Reimer Racing
04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Tait told me the same thing and wanted me to look at CRA rules for clarification. It looks like the 50's can run w/ the 70's but the 70's w/the 90's? I dunno

It says:
2 stroke 80cc-104cc
4 stroke 90cc-125cc

0-76cc
0-79cc

I wonder why the CRA does not just use the same classes and age groups as the AMA.