PDA

View Full Version : Installed a Sparks +6 Key on a 11:1 416!

Thumpin
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Just an update on my 416ex running on E-85, I was wanting to improve my lower end response and tork. My buildup should be below.

I was a bit worried about running the +6 key with 11:1 for the chance of running too hot or pinging. But in all realaity my 11:1 416 on E-85 ran way cooler at all times than my stock 400 ever did! I felt the 100+ octane should keep everything in check if it did get hotter than before. So I took the chance and got the key and installed it.

I didnt make any changes to my tune, just took it out for a test spin with just the key changed. Wow this thing just got much more peppy! Throttle response is much faster, low speed tork pulls lower, harder and just wants to rev more freely! I am very happy with the cost effectiveness of that Sparks Key!

When I tested it out the temp was 60 and breezy, I never noticed the engine temp get much warmer than normal. One thing I noticed was on deacceration my exhaust was lightly popping, not backfiring, more like cackling from a glass pack. So I richened my air fuel screw a quarter turn richer but havent had time to test it out since. I will keep you all posted. But other than the cackling exhaust that 416 is a torky screamer!

I ride in sand and trails most of the year, and that will be the real test. That E-85 is just great for an air cooled engine with mods!

honda400ex2003
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
glad to hear that you like the extra torque of the engine. the key is a good addition to the machine and with the E-85 it wont predet either so that is nice. steve