PDA

View Full Version : Is there "Chrome" color powercoat?

big_poppa49
03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Just wondering if there is a color of powdercoat that looks chrome, or polished look? Im wanting some steel parts PC'd but I would like them chrome. Tried polishing, but just rusted. Thanks

i.e. chain guard, heat shield, etc.

probably get the header ceramic coated

tayyo789
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
there is, but they dont look as good as polished aluminum, or chrome. some can get close, but they arent perfect

NacsMXer
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Yes there is a chrome powder. In fact many different brands. I just had my frame done in "Xtreme Chrome". But that is just a name for the powder, it is nothing like actual chrome or polished aluminum. More like a shiny silver.

The chrome powder has tiny aluminum particles in it which gives it its luster. Because of this, all chrome powders must be clear coated. If not, the chrome powder will quickly oxidize, turn dark, tarnish, etc. It just doesn't hold up well without a clear. But when you add the clear powder on top, it sort of knocks back the original luster a few shades. Nothing like the real thing, but is about as shiny of a silver powder you can get. You can check out pics of my frame in my rebuild thread on pages 2 and 3: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424066&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

If you want to get more of a reflective finish, I would suggest ceramic coating your small parts. Its use isn't limited to exhaust components, it can be used elsewhere like powder coat as well.

big_poppa49
03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
hmmm, wonder if I could get my heat shield and chain guard chrome ceramic coated along with my headers?? Would that work?

Also, any idea on the avg. price for powdercoating small parts like im wanting done?

dns1764
04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
why wouldnt you just get the parts chromed? it may cost a little more but you will be much happier with the results

tayyo789
04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
the ceramic would probably hold up better than chrome.
but maybe ive just had bad chrome experiences. mine have always chipped and peeled and weathered badly

Foxhound013
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think, don't quote me on this though, you could probably polish them up and then have them PC'ed with a clear coat.

big_poppa49
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by tayyo789
the ceramic would probably hold up better than chrome.
but maybe ive just had bad chrome experiences. mine have always chipped and peeled and weathered badly

yulp, dont want chrome, it does chip easily. chrome is fine on a car, but an off-road machine, nah...