PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 radiator install finished

MossboysRacing
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
I like some other have been looking into other options besides a pwr, afco, or fluidyne radiator. Way too much money in my opinion. I took some measurements and found out that a yfz 450 radiator is only about .5" wider per side. and close to the same height. I was leary to buy a radiator from china, but i did and it surprised me when it arrived 1 week later from China.

Here is the radiator i purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280468912726&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The only problem is that the upper left water neck turns right into the frame. see pics. I just put a new piece of hose on it and it runs right against the frame tube. I dont forsee this being an issure, but i will be sure to keep an eye on it.

The install was pretty easy. The lower mount is a piece of 1 1/2" alum. angle. I drilled it to mount into the stock lower frame mounts using some bolts to act like the dowels on the stock rad. I then drilled 2 holes on the other side and bolted the rad to the bracket. The Yfz rad has some large mounting brackets that i had to work around. I used firewall gromets (for cars) to put through the rad. mounts so they would be rubber mounted. the top mounts are 3/16" steel round bar that i bent into the shape for the upper mounts i needed. I made zero modifications to the frame, and only two small notches into the yfr mounts.

As for the stone guard, it is expanded metal that i cut to fit. to keep from rubbing on the rad, i bought some 1/4 clear tubing from lowes and split it. I then pressed it onto the edges of the expanded metal. Some zip ties and safety wire will TEMPORARLEY hold it in place. Ill figure out a better system later.

The shrouds are some alum. cheapies that I bought off ebay years ago. 2 of the three bolt holes go in. The lower Rear mount is about an 1" away from the frame. Still working on making new ones, or modifying the current ones for a little tighter fit.

Here are some pics. This new set up used about 85% of the new bottle of Engine ice i had. I have started it and so far so good. I have a race this weekend, so lets hope all goes well.

Let me know what you think

http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/mossboys/yfz%20radiator%20in%20250r/

bubbag
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
so does it have a higher capacity than our stock rad? I heard that japanese radiators are very well engineered as compare to say a ktm radiator....

MossboysRacing
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
yes i does have a higher capacity. The radiator itself is 2 inches thick at the side tanks. I didnt measure the capacity difference, but it does hold more.

bubbag
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
can't wait to hear how it works for ya... it is a really nice looking and affordable mod... I might do it if there is a performance gain....

250r morphidite
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
let us all know how this works out and how well the temp is im sure you got a few guys attention mostly me its hot cali valley

IcutMetl
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Good post! Definitely a lot more cost effective option compared to a $400-$500 aftermarket.

trx310R#24
04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
yeah its alot bigger! plus it looks nice to. haha

Aceman
04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I think it's pretty hard to beat a good used pwr, afco, etc that's specifically made for the R. I picked mine up for $200 plus shipping and it was MINT. It even came with 2 jugs of Engine Ice.

Seems the problem is most guys want new stuff every time($$$) or they don't want to take the time to watch for a good used one to come up for sale. I can wait....usually.

Derrick Adams
09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I'd like an update on this install. Hows it holding up in race conditions? I'm thinking of doing this swap.

jcs003
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
I'd like an update on this install. Hows it holding up in race conditions? I'm thinking of doing this swap.

x2

MossboysRacing
09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
It worked, but i ended up going back to a stock radiator. I ran it for a few months, and i didnt really get cooler than with a stock radiator, which was odd. the rad is huge, but didnt cool that much better. The larger side tanks took a couple rock shots and had some dents. It wasnt a bad set up, but i think im going to look for a pwr or equivelent. It was also a pain to make some rad shrouds that fit well...