PDA

View Full Version : DS storage

BamBam730
03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Im asking these questions in this forum becuase the members here seem to be the most knowledgeable.
I live in NY (Long Island) where it gets cold in the winter to the point you cannot ride. I tend to store all my quads throughout the winter in my unheated garage. I always run them and turn off petcock to deplete the gasoline in the carb.
What is the proper way to store the gas in the gas container?
Do Ii put stabilizer in the container?
Do I also put stabilizer in the gas tanks of all my quads?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just dont want my carb's to get gummed up.
Thank you in adavance

xrxmxcx
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Proper way like you said is to add stabilizer to the tanks on the ATV's, as well as your gas cans. Brand VS. brand, they are comparable as far as the stabilizer goes, just make sure its rated for gasoline with ethanol content. Running them out of gas is a good safe guard as well to prevent deposits from settling in the carburetor.

Alot of people have been happy with the Startron Stabilizer, made by Starbrite.

BamBam730
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you and I appreciate you mentioning a specific brand. I think that I will do that all year round due to my inconsistent riding. I sometimes wont ride for months, although I would like to.

brian 68
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
i live in wv, also very bad winters. in addition to stabilizer i use a exhaust plug. to keep condinsation out. also a battery tender. mine sits for months also.

BamBam730
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Brian, if you found an exhaust plug for a stock muffler let me know where to get iT? The stock muffler cap has two outlets.

brian 68
03-31-2010, 08:33 PM
i got two for a two stroke , from the local bike shop. they fit good.

ZX11
04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Store gas long term in a metal container. The cheap plastic containers let the gas break down.