PDA

View Full Version : is there some bad fuel out there???

jcs003
03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
i have talked to alot of people that run pump (93 usually) and there bikes havent been running too good lately. i also have been seeing alot of issues on here too with bikes not running well all of a sudden.

are we getting some bad gasoline or something?

chucked
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
There's always a lot of bikes on here not running right. Could also have something to do with the weather change.

jcs003
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by chucked
There's always a lot of bikes on here not running right. Could also have something to do with the weather change.

you got a point. i was refering to the fact it happened very suddenly to alot of people.

JR3
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
you got a point. i was refering to the fact it happened very suddenly to alot of people.

maybe theres more ethanol in it?

extremeblastr
03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
it has everything to do with the ethanol, they are raising ethanol percentages because of the removal of mtbe and pump gas is now gelling up a lot faster then it used to

eastside 400
03-30-2010, 04:59 PM
might need to bump up the main jets a bit to compensate for the ethanol, also winter mixed fuel is different then the summer blend. i never have any problems though

slightlybent47
03-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I would say for one it’s spring time and most people are just now getting back on there machines after a long winter.
Secondly depending on what part of the country you live in as to how much deferent the winter and summer fuel blends are.
And then you have the unscrupulous vender that is selling 87 oct. for 93. and ripping off the public.
Then there is a few people, like the one I saw on 20/20 that was mixing toxic waste in with the fuel he was selling to his customers.

That’s why I stick to race fuel, it has a better quality control over it’s production.

jesseweaver
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
theres a gas station by my house that sells ethanol free gas but only in either 87 or 89 i forget but i think its 87. so would i be better off getting a 10% ethanol (i think thats what they are here) 93 octane or an 87 octane ethanol free?

that'd be for a mostly stock 06 yz250f. just has a pipe.

i've heard some people say their bikes run better on 87 than on 93 :confused: any truth to that?

chucked
03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
For best performance you should run the lowest octane fuel before it starts knocking or pinging (pre-detonating)

CJM
03-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Not sure if it works, but the dealer a long time ago almost talked me into this stuff.

Probably only need a capful for a tank

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

its supposed to help with ethanol issues.

Im almost positive ethanol is junk. Friend of mines 2 quads refused to start after 2 months and he even put tons of stabil in. No matter what they wouldnt run for more than a few seconds. We run out and grab some super and throw it in they started right up..

IDK if anyone has heard of seafoam, but it works on all vehicles and machines. I always put a good dash in a tank if im gonna store it. Gas thats been in my 400ex for at least 3 months now cranked it right over no problem. Not sure if the dash of seafoam did anything but I know it cleans carbs, fixed my friends 86 bronco right up-before it wouldnt even run.

tayyo789
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
i had starting problems until i switched to ethanol free fuel

jcs003
03-31-2010, 02:07 AM
i may try some octane booster. i had a couple of bikes that needed race fuel and that stuff is alot more expensive now then it used to be. octane booster will also help cool the fuel charge.

extremeblastr
03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i may try some octane booster. i had a couple of bikes that needed race fuel and that stuff is alot more expensive now then it used to be. octane booster will also help cool the fuel charge.

octane booster is not going to change the ethanol content which is what is causing everyones issues, the only way to truly avoid issues with starting or the gas gumming up the carb is to run a leaded high octane fuel