PDA

View Full Version : smaller sprokets on both front and back?

slowmodbanshee
03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has ran smaller sprokets on the front and rear at the same time. To keep the same gear ratio just smaller sprokets. Is running smaller sprokets on both the front and back an advantage or not? If anyone has any experience with this let me know. Thanx

fearlessfred
03-30-2010, 02:57 PM
i have done it for skid plate clearance in desert racing and they would were out faster

motofreak2772
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah in BMX they run small sprockets to save weight with the chain and material on the sprockets. I wondered the same thing, but the clearance is the main issue. It could hit the carrier if you went too small on the back and too small on the front the chain wouldnt get on correctly.
I think if it was redesigned to accept smaller sprockets it would work(and we could save some weight). But yeah itss also true the chain and sprockets would wear out quicker cuz something about more tension with smaller gearing. That also increases the chances on chains snapping.

panici33
04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by slowmodbanshee
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has ran smaller sprokets on the front and rear at the same time. To keep the same gear ratio just smaller sprokets. Is running smaller sprokets on both the front and back an advantage or not? If anyone has any experience with this let me know. Thanx

I have changed both, but what are you trying to do? Are you needing more top speed, more low end? You're not going to save very much weight by just changing the size of the sprockets. You can get the same size aftermarket sprockets that weigh less. Checkout www.sidewindersprockets.com

slowmodbanshee
04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
what iam trying to do is keep the same gear ratio but go smaller on both sprokets. I think if I do this because the sprokets are smaller they should be easier to turn. But iam not sure thats why iam asking.

panici33
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
You're not going to keep the same gear ratio by changing both at the same time. By changing just the rear, you will see a drastic change. Basically what I am saying is if you drop a tooth in rear and drop a tooth in the front, you will not have the same gear ratio has you had before you changed. If you have ever changed just the front, or just the rear, you will notice a bigger change from the rear sprocket.

If you want less rotating mass, look into titanium sprockets, a lighter axle, and sprocket hub.

Scro
04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
1 tooth on the front = 3 teeth on the rear, roughly. So if you went down 1 tooth, and down 3 teeth on the rear you would be close to the same gearing.

motofreak2772
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
36-13 is the same as 25-9.
This uses less chain too so the weight savings could actually be worth it if you lighten up the rest of your bike.

ridgeracer
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
so if you were to go up in sprockets in the rear (say from 38 to 40) you would see an increase in your low end power correct?

bkelley
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ridgeracer
so if you were to go up in sprockets in the rear (say from 38 to 40) you would see an increase in your low end power correct? Yeah, or you could go down a tooth in the front. Check this out: http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

ridgeracer
04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
That's an awesome link. Thanks