PDA

View Full Version : Still have an engine problem, please help

11-26-2001, 07:06 PM
I posted about 2 weeks ago because my bike would not start and it coincided with me discovering that my air filter had fallen off. However, after removing the carb. it was not dirty and was not the cause. I cleaned it anyway put it back on. The bike would start briefly with full choke but subsequently cut off. Now it will barely turn over. Could I have removed all the juice from my battery from repeated start attempts (when I do hit the ignition the green nuetral light goes out). Could the original problem just be the spark plug? What does it sound like when a bike has a bad spark plug? I am baffled and do not want to take it back to a shop and waste more money.

Peace

Atomic83
11-26-2001, 07:30 PM
The reason it won't turn over and the nuetral light wont stay on is because you have a drained battery. Charge the battery up and clean the plug and see if it will start.

oynot400
11-26-2001, 08:05 PM
I know last winter when I had cold starting problems it sounded like what you are going through. I would put a trickle charger on the battery and it would not even attempt to start if it was putting in more than 4 amps. As soon at the charger would read less than 4 amps it would fire, or try to start. A new spark plug seemed to help but not always.
I would put in a new plug and charge the battery, then try again. Hope this helps. :)

11-27-2001, 07:15 AM
i had a problem like that with my ex, i had water in my tank. i drained it and put in fresh gas with a new plug and all was well

barbwire44
11-27-2001, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Grtmlnko00
i had a problem like that with my ex, i had water in my tank. i drained it and put in fresh gas with a new plug and all was well

Hey i read this post and i remembered the water in the gas problem. You'll like this: Youre steering stem where youre gas cap vent hose goes into youre steering stem, The stem will actually fill with water from riding in the rain,splashin through puddles and just spraying the bike down. I had to drill a small hole near the bottom of the stem to drain the water out. The gas vent hose will not be able to get air and you wont get fuel to the carb. And i imagine you could also start a syphoning process by splashing around and get water to the gas from there. My bike started running bad one day i thought its the plug, changed it and didnt help, so i checked the vent hose on the cap it was clear when i started up after checking it, it ran fine for about 5 minutes then started acting up so i cheked the line again and it was clear. And started running fine so after about 5 rounds of this i decided to remove the vent hose from the cap end and blow through it and bam i heard bubbles and about ****. That was the problem the stem had filled up with water!:devil

buckeye400ex
11-27-2001, 08:01 AM
Your symptoms sounds similar to a problem I had when my quad was new. I actually took it back to the shop and they told me the coil (which is up under the gas tank on the left side) was dirty and to keep it clean. Of course, I thought they were BS'ing me, but I did see some rust on some of the connections. Cleaned it and put some liquid electrical tape on it, no problems since.

Also, to keep water out of the steering stem, ride more wheelies!! :)