PDA

View Full Version : power to start (problem)

cruncher
03-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's and odd problem came up with my 01 400 EX. I recently put a new head gasket on it, and am starting it up after getting it together.

When I try to start it, it cranks normally for about a second, then slower and slower until it stops a few seconds later. The battery is new, and newly charged. If I put a volt meter on the starter motor cable and gound it starts at 12v and I can watch the voltage drop to zero. Battery still reads like 13.8v.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I am thinking maybe a short somewhere. Have checked so far: starter relay switch, ignition switch, clutch switch and clutch diode.

Thanks
JL

JOHNDOE83
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
if it will start with jumper cables and a car, then its your battery, if it still doesnt start after that, it could be your starter or voltage regulator.

Or as simple as a bad ground? or broken wire?

cruncher
03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Same result with jumper cables. The ground looked fine, but will redo it tomorrow.

Anywhere else to look?

paganmac_10
03-30-2010, 12:41 AM
cylenoid (Sp i know)... might be messed up, try putting power straight to the starter....

cruncher
03-31-2010, 07:06 PM
I took off the gound, cleaned it real well and put it back on. Now I have enough power to start. Still not as much cranking power as maybe it should, but enough to start it several times.