PDA

View Full Version : Coolant change help/question

mrjwahl72
03-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I just changed my coolant to engine ice. how do i know if my cooling system is bleed. i ran it for a few minutes with the cap off, then when i shut off it burped and i put cap back on. did i do this right?

JM317
03-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds like you did it right, I usually fill it up and blip the throttle a few times with the cap off and it's good.

Lasher
03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
I fill up the radiator, then run the motor until it is warm enough to move the coolant around.

Does water pump move fluid around even when it is cold? In other words...does the R have a themostat of sorts?

But I let it warm up, then check the fluid one last time.

Aceman
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lasher
I fill up the radiator, then run the motor until it is warm enough to move the coolant around.

Does water pump move fluid around even when it is cold? In other words...does the R have a themostat of sorts?

But I let it warm up, then check the fluid one last time.

There is no thermostat. I used to fill it up, let it idle for a while, and add coolant off and on till the level quit dropping.

But after I installed my Afco rad, I had to squeeze the lower hose several times where it humped over my exhaust to pump the air out of it first.

All250R
03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I do like the Clymer manual suggests and tip up the quad to a 45* angle left and right. That seems to bleed a lot of the air to the top. My Afco requires some squeezing too, but the tipping approach seems to work well with it even too.

jcs003
03-31-2010, 02:30 AM
this is actually a good thread. mine seems to have air in it too. my bottom hose(clear hoses) will look to be sort of foamed up. i believe it is air in the system.

one thing i do know to check for flow id open the weep hole a bit to make sure it is flowing through the pump.

Lasher
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
So the water pump is forcing coolant through the whole system when ever the motor is running. Correct?

All250R
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
So the water pump is forcing coolant through the whole system when ever the motor is running. Correct?
Correct. It's not circulating by convection if that's what you're wondering.

Not having a thermostat is why warm-ups particularly with tight forged pistons is important. You need to inject a lot of heat energy into the entire volume of coolant before the engine has a hope of being up to temperature and the iron warm enough to accept the expanding aluminum slug.

mrjwahl72
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
What will happen if I don't get all the air bubble out ? Or do it wrong I don't want to blow my motor

All250R
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by mrjwahl72
What will happen if I don't get all the air bubble out ? Or do it wrong I don't want to blow my motor you can stagnate the coolant and overheat the engine is one thing. I'm not sure if it's common the TRX, but a friend with an LT500 just did the same thing after a rebuild. Luckily we had a coolant gauge that skyrocketed and then noticed the radiator and waterpump were cold. He tipped the bike on end and solved the problem.