PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice.

300ex_#387
03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I recently sold my 2001 chevy 2500HD to a guy about 4 hours away north of indianapolis. He came looked at it and drove it and seemed happy with it. The truck had 147,000 miles on it and ran great. I bought the truck with 124,000 miles on it and drove it for a year. The whole time I owned the truck it always had a knock in the motor. It was a 6.0l and I did a little research and this is because those motors had a short skirtless piston and caused the motor to sound like a piston slap. It causes no harm and will not effect anything. This guy after buying my truck texts me telling me the motor makes a knock. I explain to him why this is and told him he can find information about it on the internet and its pefectly fine. He then texts me today and says he had 2 mechanics look at the motor and it needs a new one. He wants me to pay for half the motor and labor or else he will turn it over to his lawer. I then proceeded to tell him again that it's perfectly fine. It has been looked over by a certified GM mechanic and he told me the same thing. It's perfectly normal and its how those motors were. I called an attourney and talked to them. They told me can take me to a small claims court but most likely it will be turned in my favor considering the miles and year of the truck. I know good and well that motor is fine. This guy is trying to get something for nothing. It's going to waste my money in the end for me to have to drive to Indiana to go to court and hire a lawer for nothing. I've just had a bad 2 weeks. Two days after I sold this truck I purchased a new colorado and a day later I was hit in a parking lot causing $3,300 worth of damage.

dpizz450
03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
A deal is a deal. At the least, I would feel bad if something really did go bad on it. But as long as you can honestly say nothing that you knew of was wrong with it, I wouldn't sweat it. You said you had a certified GM mechanic look at it, do you still have the paperwork from that? If so, I would hold onto it in the case he may try to bring you to court. Personally, I would let him turn it over to his lawyer (you may just call him on his bluff on that one, he may be just trying to scare you.) That's my two cents. Let us know how it turns out.

300ex_#387
03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dpizz450
A deal is a deal. At the least, I would feel bad if something really did go bad on it. But as long as you can honestly say nothing that you knew of was wrong with it, I wouldn't sweat it. You said you had a certified GM mechanic look at it, do you still have the paperwork from that? If so, I would hold onto it in the case he may try to bring you to court. Personally, I would let him turn it over to his lawyer (you may just call him on his bluff on that one, he may be just trying to scare you.) That's my two cents. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah I would feel bad if something did happen but nothing happened. The motor makes a tick sound. It made that sound when he bought it and it made that sound when I bought it. It's how it came from GM. I do not have any paperwork of the mechanic looking it it. If he turns it over to his lawer it's just going to cost me time and money for a lawyer and having to drive to indiana to go to court. The motor runs fine and doesnt smoke. It perfectly health. This guy is being a jackass. I kinda figures you know a deal is a deal but then I called an attourney and they told me he can take me to court.

Regular_Joe
03-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone can take you to court for anything. Doesn't mean it will actually amount to anything other than wasting your time and money. This sounds like its exactly that case. I really doubt he is going to follow through ....

dpizz450
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Anyone can take you to court for anything.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

CJM
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
He can take you to small claims court but wont win.

Reason behind that is b/c as a buyer the old adage "buyer beware" still exists. You dont have to disclose anything at all if you dont want to. Your a private individual not a dealer or resale lot or anything.

Let him go ahead if he wants, but the judge will either throw it out or award you the win.

The car was sold as is, no warranty implied or expressed of course so he has no case.

Further reading: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-sue-for-misrepresentation-of-a-used-car-from-138577.html

kyleschonert
03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
That really blows Josh! I had no idea man.

Anyway, Dad's Avalanche has a 5.3 in it, I think, and anytime he ran premium in it it doesn't knock, but with 87 and 89 it does. Maybe tell him to try that?

Need help finding the person that hit you? I'm game. haha

MX450
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Dude probly just tryin to get money from you, think about it, he has to pay a lawyer as well to take you to court, so hes out the money too. I doubt he will follow through. A deal is a deal he bought a used truck, he can get over it. I would NOT give him ANY money whatsoever.

300ex_#387
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think this guy is going to listen to me kyle haha. I'm not too worried about it anymore. He now says if I just pay for half a motor and no labor he won't take me to court. I'm pretty sure he is bluffing. You know I might feel bad for him if I actually for a second thought I might have screwed him but I know I did not. If anything did actually happen I was not aware of the problem when I sold it to him. It's not like the motor blew up or runs like crap. It makes a tick thats common on all the early 6.0l motors.

Thanks for your help guys. I just basically needed to vent after the past couple weeks.

Kyle yeah I need help finding that person haha. My insurance had to pay for it. I was very irate.

Chit
03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Sounds like he's still hurting from the Colts losing.

also, sorry for drawing that dick on your windshield which caused you to wreck again..

fastredrider44
03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
. It's not like the motor blew up or runs like crap. It makes a tick thats common on all the early 6.0l motors.

That's common knowledge. He'll just have to get over it.

SRH
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
haha man, idk was it a as is used sale??? if so he has absolutely nothing to stand on

#1 dont lose your cool
#2 explain to him that you cant take his word for it as the mechanics could be gouging him for business
#3 explain to him that he tested it looked at it and was comfortable with it and you felt nothing was out of the norm for that make and model, apologize for his dissatisfaction with the vehicle but explain your hands are tied and if he feels he needs to take it to court then thats what he needs to do

the fact hes already showing weakness means hes not going to follow through with the aggravation of court, but i wouldnt burden yourself worrying about it regardless i think it wouldnt hold up in court, just dont get angry or act childish

Sjorge450R
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
he wont follow through. Like SRH said. He already backed down a little saying you dont need to pay for labor.

I say f that guy and get on with you life. Has he actually called you or is he only texting you? If he hasnt called you hes a b*tch and is trying to get money out of you. Dont fall for it.

quad2xtreme
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Short of a contract stating you offered a warranty then the old adage of "buyer beware" applies. People often get confused between home ownership and buying vehicles. A side note is you don't have 3 days to rescind the purchase of a vehicle from a dealership either...many people get confused about this thinking they do. It isn't a house nor a purchase that is going to be part of the house. You can rescind a furnace or carpeting...as long as you don't let them install it before the 72 hour rescind period expires.

Buying something with over 100,000 miles basically puts all the responsibility on the buyer. A smart buyer takes it to a mechanic first or gets you to agree to passing a basic inspection first.

TCracin440ex
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
this guy is stupid and apparently knows nothing of any gm motors. all the 5.3s and 6.0's ive encounterd has the famouse tick to them. some of them are a little louder then others, but tell this guy to do whatever he wants.

he bought a used truck as is, if he was expecting a new condition rig he should have bought brand new or one with less miles then what urs had on it. just stand your ground dont worry about whiney *** ppl like him. theres always them types of ppl in the world who want something for nothing.

300ex_#387
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
No he never called me and wouldn't talk to me on the phone. Yesterday I told him he needs to be talking to my parents considering there names were on the title not mine. He told me he will just let his lawyer handle it. Now i'm not familiar with this at all but in smalls claims you don't have anyone represent you right? You would just represent yourself and wouldn't need a lawyer? He hasn't said anything to me today and I don't plan on talking to him unless he decides to take me to court. Or should I say my parents. Like I said...I might have reasoned with the guy if I felt I actually screwed him. That was my daily driver up untill the day he bought it and it all of a sudden needs a new motor. I'm not to worried about it anymore. Thanks for your help guys.

quad2xtreme
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
No he never called me and wouldn't talk to me on the phone. Yesterday I told him he needs to be talking to my parents considering there names were on the title not mine. He told me he will just let his lawyer handle it. Now i'm not familiar with this at all but in smalls claims you don't have anyone represent you right? You would just represent yourself and wouldn't need a lawyer? He hasn't said anything to me today and I don't plan on talking to him unless he decides to take me to court. Or should I say my parents. Like I said...I might have reasoned with the guy if I felt I actually screwed him. That was my daily driver up untill the day he bought it and it all of a sudden needs a new motor. I'm not to worried about it anymore. Thanks for your help guys.

you don't need a lawyer for small claims court. He isn't going anywhere with this because no lawyer is going to walk in there with him without a leg to stand on.

quad2xtreme
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
you don't need a lawyer for small claims court. He isn't going anywhere with this because no lawyer is going to walk in there with him without a leg to stand on.

if he could afford a lawyer, he wouldn't have bought a truck with 100k+ miles on it.

300ex_#387
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
He texted me again tonight saying he found a good deal on a jasper rebuilt engine with 30,000 miles on it. He told me since he was getting such a good deal I didn't have to pay for anything. I didn't send anything back. I just think he is wasting his own money now on a perfectly good motor. I guess don't believe the guy who drove it for over a year up untill 3 weeks ago.

axellmusic19
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think this guy is going to listen to me kyle haha. I'm not too worried about it anymore. He now says if I just pay for half a motor and no labor he won't take me to court. I'm pretty sure he is bluffing. You know I might feel bad for him if I actually for a second thought I might have screwed him but I know I did not. If anything did actually happen I was not aware of the problem when I sold it to him. It's not like the motor blew up or runs like crap. It makes a tick thats common on all the early 6.0l motors.

Thanks for your help guys. I just basically needed to vent after the past couple weeks.

Kyle yeah I need help finding that person haha. My insurance had to pay for it. I was very irate.

Well hell! My 5.7L 1992 been tickin a while now at 218,000! Chevy makes good engines and he will be sorry to know he is spending money on an engine he wont need.

Kickstarts-suck
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Have you tried referring him to a chevy forum to show him its normal??

Hes really going to be pissed when he puts that new motor in and it still does it. :p

BTW I just found this really quick
http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/messages/276941.html

SRH
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
i honestly wouldnt answer him again, sounds to me hes realized hes been an *******...if i had to guess the jasper motor doesnt exist....as in hes not getting one...hes just realized the noise is normal ...

and yes people buying high mileage vehicles whose main reason for suing is because they bought something they cant fix that they didnt know had to be fixed usually dont have more money than the repairs to gamble on a lawyer in small claims court.....

Chit
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
He texted me again tonight saying he found a good deal on a jasper rebuilt engine with 30,000 miles on it. He told me since he was getting such a good deal I didn't have to pay for anything. I didn't send anything back. I just think he is wasting his own money now on a perfectly good motor. I guess don't believe the guy who drove it for over a year up untill 3 weeks ago.

Good...buy me lunch now.

300ex_#387
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
I told him to google 6.0l knock and he would find what he is looking for. He claimed he did that and this motor is louder than normal ones.

trick450r
03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
As long as you have a bill of sale that clearly says AS IS he doesn't have a leg to stand on in court.

I sold a scag commercial riding mower to a guy once that wasn't running, I told him I had no idea what was wrong with it, which I didn't. He called me three days later saying the connecting rod broke and it was seized and he wants his $2500 back or he'll take me to court. I explained very calmly that I have a document that clearly states the the machine is sold in as is not running condition with his signature on it and if he takes me to court i'll be financially obligated to counter-sue for my loss of wages and legal expense after his case gets thrown out, he said ill be hearing from his lawyer...that was about a year ago now lol.