PDA

View Full Version : wont start after stall

mebcop
03-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey guys... my wife's DS is having a weird issue.

If she is riding it around, stops, and shuts the key off, it'll start back up with no problem. But if she stalls it, it WILL NOT start for a little while. One time after she stalled it, we put it on the charger and it was turning over nice and fast, and it still wont start for a little bit.

Is it flooding out when she stalls it? Do you think a plug is fouled so it wont fire hot enough to start a partially flooded motor?

Thanx guys!

mebcop
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Guessing my problem is unique?

LTMFB
03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
could she be flooding it or using too much gas when it is sputtering and she stalls it? IF she is pushing the throttle wide open during the stall, it certainly could be flooding it!

mebcop
03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
no, the last time she stalled it she thought it was in neutral and let the clutch out and it stalled... she wasn't even touching the gas...

TNT
03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
That or your plugs are fouled or of too low temp rating but you'd think that affect all starts, you might check them anyway for wet or dry black carbon deposits or overheating light grey/white, s/b normal light brown….check the gaps. The ECU controls the fuel and ignition timing, so if she stalls one thing that might help is to shut it off immediately so the ECU and fuel pump shuts off faster. Other thing to try is let it turn but don’t give it any gas maybe that will dry the plugs out with air. Only other thing I think of is your decompression weight is worn or spring is sticking or TPS is going out of range, but I would think again you’d see problems during normal starts too. Ours takes a while to start cold, starts right up from a stall so I dunno why yours won’t, then again we got a big air motor.

mebcop
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanx TNT. We ordered plugs today, so we'll see if that helps. Can plugs be partially fouled, to where the little extra squirt of fuel that isn't burned when the quad stalls will foul them enough to where it wont start, but if you shut it off by the key, it doesn't squirt that little extra fuel? Or am I spouting some crazy ****... haha

TNT
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes exactly, as long as the ECU is on there is a potential for fuel to be delivered and flood from throttling. Look at your plugs, the face as I described above reveals the condition of the engine, fuel mixture, etc…clean all the grime off the cyl head prior to install for good contact, put some heat sink paste on the threads and gasket to assure proper cooling and proper heat transfer. Torque them to 168 in-lb and gap them to .027- .031…Plugs s/b two NGK DCPR9E, put some super lube on the electrode and in the gap. Get the paste and lube from the auto store.

If it happens again shut the fuel off let it crank, theres a fuel cock if I remember to get it out of the flood mode.

mebcop
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
new plugs and relay. starts and runs fine but the engine light is on now. any ideas? charging system concerns... this all started after boosting my other ds450. checked the fuses on left and right side of seat...all 6 fine. are there any others to check?

what on our quads causes the light to come on? Also, I unplugged the negative terminal a couple times for about a minute each time to try to reset the ecu, but it didn't work...

TNT
03-31-2010, 04:48 PM
We've had this happen twice and both times charging the battery solved it....seems like the battery has to be 80% or better or the light comes on.....Seen this happen to guy this week, put a new battery in solved it. Charge and test it, see if goes out. I don't know how long it takes the stator to charge the battery once the quad is running so it may eventually go out if the battery is good. Light stays on thats a minor fault flashes major. Once we had to disconnect everything to get it to go out, it can be stubborn!

6 fuse is all.

mebcop
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
actually had that same thing happen to this quad before. the battery was pretty shot and the light came on. put a new bettery in it and the light went off. could be a possibility this time. gonna pull the battery and charge it.

TNT
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Might be a good idea to run some stall test afterwards that way you know it's solved...Please let me know if we fixed it so I can help someone else out that has these issues. :D

mebcop
04-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by TNT
Might be a good idea to run some stall test afterwards that way you know it's solved...Please let me know if we fixed it so I can help someone else out that has these issues. :D

The stalling issue was fixed when we swapped the number 1 and number 3 relays... thank you very much TNT.... you def know your ****!!!

I'm gonna try charging the battery fully this morning and see if that works to get rid of the light... I'll keep you updated