PDA

View Full Version : best cdi

88dunerider
03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
so got the 440 kit , 450 carb , k and n , i have full hmf exhaust on the way but i was wondering what the best cdi i was to get power wise ?? and what bigger coil to get too???

JOHNDOE83
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
If you can find one, get the white bros rev box...It really is the best, in my opinion, Ive tryed alot of different ones...

If money isnt an issue, get the dynatek programable cdi...

If you really want a bigger coil, get one that comes with a cdi, they will be matched for max performance....whatever they consider max performance.

If you look on ebay, I believe AMR has a matched coil and cdi combo...

My 440 with 450r carb and 16/39 gears, with 22in tires, white bros cdi, will do 70.7mph in 4th gear in the 1/8th mile and have plenty of HP to still pull 5th..... I do not have a bigger coil.

88dunerider
03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
yeah i was looking at getting the amr off of ebay but didnt know if that was a good deal or not havent really researched them to much. just looking for more power as much as i can get out of her. with the 440 kit stage 3 hot cam 450r carb and full hmf exhaust cant really think of anything else i can do besides coil and cdi/rev box

slightlybent47
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
IMO changing a rev box on an ex is useless. There are no real power gains in the upper rpm rang anyway. Adding the extra stress on a built motor would not be advisable.
You didn’t mention if you had a port job done or a cam put in, that’s what I’d do instead of a cdi box.
That will open that 440 up and let it breath, that will get you way more hp then a cdi box.

honda400ex2003
03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
only one worth buying is a dynatek

it does lots of cool stuff. lol. steve

JOHNDOE83
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, it is really only good to a certain extent, but if your looking for every angle to win a race, a rev box will give that lil extra help in the end.

Unless your hardcore mx racing or drag racing, or trying to beat your buddies, a rev box isnt nessescary.

Thumpin440ex
03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Was going to go with a dyna, but picked up a Sparks for a great deal... Out of the 2 I havn't heard any bad things

John

88dunerider
03-29-2010, 09:59 PM
yeah got the stage 3 hot cam , no port and polish tho. im not looking for speed at all just power , i ride mainly in the sand and when im riding at the dunes its either draggin up hill or doin the tree shots or hill climbs and i figured the rev box might give me a little more boost comin out of the hill climbs .

3400ben
03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 88dunerider
yeah got the stage 3 hot cam , no port and polish tho. im not looking for speed at all just power , i ride mainly in the sand and when im riding at the dunes its either draggin up hill or doin the tree shots or hill climbs and i figured the rev box might give me a little more boost comin out of the hill climbs .

Not to change the topic. Save the money on the cdi and put it towards the port and polish. Dyna will cost as much as a port job. You will get 3 time more out of a port job than a cdi. Just a different angle to look at. IMO

childert79
04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Also if you search the amr box and coil is bad together as funny as it sounds. Someone did a test and the amr box with the stock coil outdid the Amr combo. And all the cdi's are about the same besides the dyna because as Steve said it does cool stuff. LOL. And yeah you should save and get port and Polish and heavy duty headstuds.