PDA

View Full Version : clutch help

muddymess
03-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Today at the race i noticed that whenever i would get stuck and really have to work the clutch i would end up not being able to disengage it. I would pull it all the way in and it would still be catching. Once i got unstuck and moving again the clutch would work fine. Did this several times.

I never had this issue last year but I replace everything on the off season. Henson basket, 89 upgrade, new clutch lever, new cable, new clutches. So everything is basically brand new. Someone told me it might be the tusk clutches that im just toasting. I would think if the clutches where toast then it wouldn't engage not the other way around.

any opinions on this?

xcracer411
03-29-2010, 07:52 AM
go with a stock clutch fibers and plates they are made by kg and use some barnett springs i think mt5 springs are what i use

86 Quad R
03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
it could be that the fibers are partially toast and are wanting to stick from time to time but im wondering what sort of shape the inner hub was when you had it down?

Allison55ex'er
03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
redo the adjustment on your cable and see what it does. If you have to put new fibers and springs in it I would recommend neils clutch mod

muddymess
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
well i tried to adjust the cable out once when i was stuck but it was still catching some and when i started going again the clutch was adjusted too far out so i had to stop and put in back in.

as far as the inner hub it was new also as i got a lesson on why you need clutch holding tool.

skyhighatv
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
You dont need that tool. All u need is 2 old steels and 1 old fiber(or vise versa) and some needle nose vise grips,works like a charm. I actually bolted 2 steels and a fiber together and keep it in my bag of tricks;)