PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R help/questions

atvmx_freak08
03-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Thinking about trading my TRX250R for an 05 450R so I can do a little local GNCC, just really starting to miss the powerband and throttle response of a good four stroke but I was wondering what were some of the problems these models sre having and what I should look for before I trade. The 450 has an upgraded cam and comes with the stock unit, gt thunder shocks, bigger jets, new rings, and hrc tip for the stock exhaust. Not really worried about the exhaust I'll probably get an aftermarket soon. But like I said, is ther anything I should look for before I trade? Let me know what you guys think, thanks a lot!

atvmx_freak08
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I can either get the 05 kick start or an 07 electric start, but I've heard the electric starts always have trouble with the batteries and im afraid I won't be able to jump it off in the woods if it does.. any help?

ricks450
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
04-05's have a crank issue but once u fix it ur good to go. honda fixed this problem with a retro kit. comes with new crank and a retainer and bigger seal to fit over the retainer. its the same crank they just made the retainer to fix the problem and had to make a bigger seal to fit it. if u can get some one to make u the retainer u can just buy the bigger seal from honda. but to get the retainer from honda u got to get the whole retro kit. Chad put the deminsion of that retainer on here n a older post if u would like to get them. Great bike! i love mine... have had no problems out of mine since i fixed that. been great to me. besides the stock handle bars bend the first time u roll it. lol

atvmx_freak08
03-30-2010, 10:42 PM
So you have to get the whole kit from honda? But that's a little pricey with the new crank and everything.. and yea, stock bars suck haha

ricks450
03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by atvmx_freak08
So you have to get the whole kit from honda? But that's a little pricey with the new crank and everything.. and yea, stock bars suck haha it was $295 4 the new kit from honda. not 2 bad 4 a whol;e new crank and it comes with the retainer and 1 seal. it just sucks when its not had the retro kit installed and the lower rod bearing goes bad and destroys the whole motor like what happen to me. but shes got it in her now. and 3 grand later. boy she flys now. It scares almost everyone thats rides it lol.

atvmx_freak08
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Yea i had a breaing in the rod go out on my 250r and i got away with a new crank, rod and piston but i had to split the case and get all the metal out of the bottom end and make sure nothing got eaten up.. it sucked haha

speedracer450r
04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I have an 05. I am the original owner and I can't say I have had any issues that I didn't incite. yeah there were some some crank issues but not every bike produced those years have that problem. check for ease of starting cold, usually when the valves are out of adjustment they become hard to start. but as with every machine that comes back to maintnence and when you ride with wings you can't go wrong. :D :macho :macho