PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems maybe?

monkeydude36020
03-28-2010, 07:52 PM
When Im in 1st or 2nd its really hard to get into neutral and when in low gear with clutch in when you rev it up it pulls a little bit. Shifter also feels pretty hard between gears. Bad clutch? It never slips it just feels like it not disengaging all the way.

CJM
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Didnt you just run out of oil and have a locked up quad??

If you dont have enough oil in the engine then since its a wet sump engine (motor/trans connected) then it wont shift right.

monkeydude36020
03-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I put oil in it... I doubt it would have started back up... lol. But this was going on before I tore down and rebuilt my engine, 2 years ago... I never got too worried about it cause I wasnt riding it much, but Im trying to get all the little problems sorted out now so I can ride.

CJM
03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Then I would say either the cable melted or the clutch needs to be replaced.

honda400ex2003
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
shifting forks getting bent possibly? steve

clemsonteg
03-28-2010, 09:31 PM
When you say its hard to get into neutral do you mean you just miss it and end up going into gear? I know mine does that a little bit, and sometimes when I downshift from 2nd to 1st it goes into neutral, but I need to change my oil, and I think the clutch cable needs a little bit of adjsutment.

monkeydude36020
03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
When you say its hard to get into neutral do you mean you just miss it and end up going into gear? I know mine does that a little bit, and sometimes when I downshift from 2nd to 1st it goes into neutral, but I need to change my oil, and I think the clutch cable needs a little bit of adjsutment.

When In first you literelly have to smash it with your toes then it almost always goes straight to second. Then you can can it into neutral from there but it really hard. You have to pretty much stomp it and hope you dont go to far and go back into first.

hocman123
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
i have the same problem on my 06 but only after a little bit of ridding and i first oull it out it is no problem finding neutral but after riding it good luck
but i know my problem the po ran the clucth cable crappy and the pipes heat it up and have started to melt it i will fix it soon

NMills
03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
May seem like a dumb thing to check... but check the shifter itself... make sure it's not hitting the side of the engine... i had a similar problem when it was extremly hard to upshift and it was because the rod was draggin up the side of the engine....... may not be your problem... just an idea..

HPI_Savage25
03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I had a similar issue this past weekend at the races. I had gotten a new clutch cable/ez pull lever installed, cable wound up stretching a tad and I had to adjust the cable. I couldn't get it to go into neutral to save my life...adjusted the cable and it wound up going in smooth as silk the rest of the night and still does.

MidnightBlade
03-29-2010, 07:13 PM
dumb question but did you adjust your clutch cable. and if you did is it melted or discolored where it is near the headers?

monkeydude36020
03-30-2010, 06:53 AM
I have checked adjustment and its adjusted all the way at the lever. Doesnt appear to me melted. Maybe I should just order a new one...

hocman123
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
i adj mine last weekend but it is melting the way the po ran it it allmost sits on it maybe 1/8 from pipes and if deff melted

NMills
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
My clutch cable melted on the headers.... I think i'm gonna try the 250x cable swap... it's supposed to be longer then the stock on so you can run it away from the headers...