PDA

View Full Version : Run out of oil, locked up... got a question

monkeydude36020
03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
So after all the trouble I had getting my 400 to run right (so many bugs)... I finally got it out yesterday and was able to run it through all rpms in every gear, and idle all day with no problems, which excites me. But unfortunately the motor locked up last nite due to lack of oil... heres the story. The stealership had the quad to fix a broke bolt on the oil filter cover. They drianed the oil down to the cover, obviously. And on the invoice they had charged me for a quart of oil. Not to mention they rode it around the shop to bring it to my truck (I assumed it had oil in it). Well last night while I was riding it, kind of breaking it in, I was goin by some houses so i eased out and was just luggin in 5th so they wouldnt get pissed then all of a sudden the motor started screachin and the wheels completely locked up. So i pulled the clutch and came to a stop. It had NO oil showing in the tank. It took over a quart of oil and its still a little low showin on the stick. Well I pushed it back to the house and put oil in it and it fired right up. I road it for about 20 or 30 mins today and no problems, no funny noises, idles good, good power. Is there a chance somethings wrong? Should I tear it back down?

BamBam730
03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
To avoid any speculation, I would say just open it up to see. You will never know if there is damage until you open it up.

slightlybent47
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I agree
If nothings wrong then all your out is a gasket set.
The big listen here is:………………..Anybody!!!!!!

Always check the oil before you ride.

CTC B4Z
03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Um, I Wouldnt touch it.. I'd bring it back to the dealer and tell them what happened...

CJM
03-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CTC B4Z
Um, I Wouldnt touch it.. I'd bring it back to the dealer and tell them what happened...

Yup, dealer messed up then its not your fault. They were the last to touch it.

monkeydude36020
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Well the shop will be getting a personal visit tomarrow. Im pretty unhappy, and ive learned my lesson, even when a so called professional works on your stuff, you should still check everything out, and I should have checked the oil. But I doubt they are going to back it up. They will just say Im lying and even if they did back it up i dont even want them touching my quad now... I mite jus tear it down next weekend.

slightlybent47
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by monkeydude36020
Well the shop will be getting a personal visit tomarrow. Im pretty unhappy, and ive learned my lesson, even when a so called professional works on your stuff, you should still check everything out, and I should have checked the oil. But I doubt they are going to back it up. They will just say Im lying and even if they did back it up i dont even want them touching my quad now... I mite jus tear it down next weekend.

I didn’t mean to blame you. One would think if “they” worked on it, it would be right. After all that’s why you take it to a professional and pay good money so that it’s done right. Everyone makes mistakes; I would defiantly try to make them pay for it.