PDA

View Full Version : Yfz 450 bog issue

NoFlyZone
03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi all, i bought a 2007 yfz 450 a couple weeks ago with very low hours. The quad is all stock and like new but it has a bog right off idle. If i rap the gas from idle it will want to die. Even riding around in low rpms, if i try to hit it fast it will bog out and die. Seems to run alot better with the choke on and at high rpms it runs alright too. Somebody suggested play with the idel screw but i couldnt get it any better. Any suggestions?

Vampire2800
03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
That's just the way they are, dude. It's because the carb pushes a little too much fuel in & the engine can't keep up just off idle. It's a universal problem. The new fuel injected ones don't have that problem because they don't "load up" like carb ones do. If you look through all the threads on here, more of them will be about the notorious "bog" than anything else. Good luck & my advice: get used to it.... Lol, have fun, bro.

02bwraptor
03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
You can get a boysen quickshot II and/or do the zip tie mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsBrNhX52g or change the leak jet to I think a 50.

Vampire2800
03-28-2010, 09:36 PM
50 or it might be a 35. Not sure. But I did all of these & it did not change my bog, just reduced it.

NoFlyZone
03-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Thats not what i was hoping to hear but hopfully i can eliminate some of it. It's kind of a pita to take off and just ride easy. Im going to try the zip tie mod and see if that helps at all. I was messing with the air idle screw and im not sure where its supposed to be? Right now its about 2 turns out, is that close? Second, how often do the valves need adjusted on these? I can hear a ticking through the carb and intake box. Its hard to tell if its the valves or detonation.

yfz450rdr
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I check the valves every 20 hours... But the YFZ is a noisy engine too... Mine and the other 12 on our race team all are noisy.... and the bog I have gotten used to it. All I have is the Honda EX throttle with TRX90 throttle.

sXeKJB
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Good jetting and dyno tune got rid of any noticeable bog for me, without any ziptie mods or anything.

whc
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
interesting comments on a common proplem, I played the jetting game, finally went with am fmf jetting, and an adustable power jet, these helped, but the cable tie trick really solved the proplem for me, I would not go with the fmf jet kit agion since they use there own numbering system which make using the jets for any other application inpossile or at least akward, i think the cable tie trick was the best help and it is way easy to do. Bill

XCRacer236
04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
jetting and tuning accelerator pump will take care of it.