PDA

View Full Version : KFX for XC

Brandon Wallace
03-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Whats up guys, I currently race XC on my 06 yfz and yesterday I came up on a really good deal on a KFX450. I personally know nothing about the kfx so I need some info. This is a white and black 08. It has a white brothers exhaust and pro-armor front bumper thats all that has been changed. How do they handle? Do they run hott? I over heat my yfz in the tight wood sections. What all needs changed to make a pretty deasent XC bike??

Thanks for the info guys!!

KFX450Rrider490
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
the kfx is a great bike for xc racing i dont race yet but plan on it next year its a great handleing bike you may be a little dissapointed in the power department and on the starts just make shure that you need to keep the connections clean but other than that it would make a great xc bike

Brandon Wallace
03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Last year a dude on a stock kfx tried to drag race me on my stroker/bb yfz haha. Not even close to a fair race, I did shut him up pretty good though. The motor on my 06 yfz just seems to run stupid hot even with engine ice, thats the biggest reason I want to switch bikes. I seen where people was complaing about the gearing, is it tall or short in the gearing??

gulley421
03-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I own and race a 08 kfx450 and love it. As far as power, it has plenty. I install an FMF pipe, power comander III and did away with the stock air box and intake. That made a huge difference in power. I bought an air cleaner/intake off of ebay for around $120. You can also modify a stock suzuki ltr450 intake boot to fit also. I use my kfx450 to race flat track and I won the open class championship in 2009 with it, so I can't complain about it. But as far as XC, I would invest in some shocks for the front or at least have the stockers revalved. Another big advantage it has is reverse. The only negitive thing about it is that the stock seat is hard.

250racer2010
04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
mine jumped time multiple times and runs extremely hot only finished 6 races out of 15 with it last year in wnyoa series

Brandon Wallace
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Heat is my biggest problem with my yfz, out of 8 races last year and 1 so far this year there was only 3 that I didnt overheat. I run engine ice but in the 2+hr races it just always seems to do it.

Pappy
04-06-2010, 07:05 AM
It doesnt start fast

Small parts are expensive (more so then Honda)

Its a vibration monster, small fortune spent in replacing bolts that vibrate out

No overheating issues here yet

Handles well IMO

Stock rebuilt shocks respond well

Power in stock form is down as compared to other models but it can get the job done. Just like all the new quads, its expensive to add power.

We like ours, but after owning and racing one for 2 years, I would like to be on another machine

fastjunkie131
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM
i race xc in florida and have never over heated. it is a slow starter but 24 volts solved that. i have had zero problems with mine in the 3 years that i have owned it. like any other quad you will personalize it to suit your needs but the motor responds well to a exhaust, intake, and fuel controller. got to love the reverse to.

Brandon Wallace
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I brought one home tonight to ride b4 I buy,It has a white brothers slip on and 13t front sprocket . I was actually impressed with the way it pulls but seemed to be a little low in the gearing. My only complaint would be the seat, that thing is like a rock. This one starts really easy and I fell in love with the reverse as soon as I backed it off the tralier. I know a guy that races them in GNCC and he told me that I would have to look under the hood for a roll over sensor to zip tie it down. Anyone with info on that ??

Pappy
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Where are you at in WV?

Brandon Wallace
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Oceana, Im about 45min from Beckley.