PDA

View Full Version : Shock wars..

mydirtkids
03-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Not to start a war on this thread, but have a couple questions I would appreciate opinions.

Here is what I got.

My son (7 yr old and 52lbs) just started MX this year on a 2010 DRR 90. He already killed the back shock, and the fronts are pretty much springs now. He lands pretty hard (obviously not scared), and on most the big jumps, he is digging the bumper. I know he has some weight distribution techniques to learn but needs some help for those ones that get away.

JB arms and stem soon (hopefully).

It will be about a month before I can recover from our Uncle Sam, but when the time comes I need to be ready to pull the trigger.

Fox lt floats

Motowaz

Elka

On the fox, does the upgrade really matter for his application?

Can I just do the fronts for now, and use the loaner I have on the back? Not sure what the loaner is, but it is far superior to the factory junk.

Any major issues on used stuff? Not real excited about buying used MX gear.

Thanks, Jim

EthansDad
03-29-2010, 07:11 AM
What race series do you run? just locals, regional series/districts or nationals? Its easy to go out and buy the most expensive, but I'm a fan of using what works or what is needed for the level of riding.

We've actually had good luck with the stock DRR shocks. the fronts are great, you might just get buy on locals with a stiffer rear spring.

If you're hitting some bigger races, the fox or elkas are a good bet. We've run both. My $.02 right now is on the elkas. The fox are ok, but a little harder to setup IMO than a more traditional shock.

The motowaz is the buzz right now at the nationals, but again this would come back to a money question for me. is it worth it to run something like this at a local level? I'd start out with some Elka, can get a good set used, easy to rebuild if needed, and if you want to change later, they hold their value pretty good, so you can resell and upgrade.

If you where going to do one shock only, I'd do rear first. Also, if he's hitting that hard and bottoming, might be time to think about a guesset kit/frame strengthen before you break something! it happens, I know :)

T@AFP
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
A personal expereience that happened to us this weekend at Pell City.

We blew a rear Fox shock ( which cost us a respectable finish) at Pell City in my son's 70 CVT qualifier. We took it to the Fox trailer to have them look at it. It was fixed and ready to go within 30 minutes.

To me that is service.

corman22
03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
New to the whole chatting on this website but we race dist.23 and this year we will be starting to run some nationals, we have fallen in love with Motowoz and Jim will help you any way he can.

There are alot of good shocks out ther but Motowoz has worked best for us. Good luck

mydirtkids
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I really like the motowaz reviews, but the price seems steep. I guess it is a good investment if they hold up.

Right now we are only in the locals, CKMS or Central Kansas Motocross Series. Just a few kids, but we are looking to see what is out there. The next race is a national qualifier, that would be cool... but I think we all have alot to learn. Just got the bike wet last weekend!:D

EthansDad
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
yes, shocks are the one investment that will hold up, or move with you from quad to quad as you upgrade. one other thing to consider, if you start moving up into nationals, you'll likely find yourself looking at long travel. if you do, then your shocks are going bye bye and you'll have to get another set of longer shocks.

Again, for next hop up, I'd stick with elka or fox with your current chassis setup unless you've got money to burn. the motowaz are better from what I've seen, but unless your kid is running at the top of the national level, you might not be using all you've paid for. just my $.02

-EA

mydirtkids
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
We ordered Jb long arms and stem. (if the deal goes through). Should take 14.5 fronts. I have not planned on doing a swing arm yet, but either way don't they both take the 10.5? I have a little better shock in back I hope to get thru the next few months.

Would it be counter-productive to only do the fronts now, and deal with the rear after a few races?

dazed&confused
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
A personal expereience that happened to us this weekend at Pell City.

We blew a rear Fox shock ( which cost us a respectable finish) at Pell City in my son's 70 CVT qualifier. We took it to the Fox trailer to have them look at it. It was fixed and ready to go within 30 minutes.

To me that is service.

FIRST RACE OF THE YEAR AND YOU BLOW A BRAND NEW SHOCK???? WHATS THAT SAYING????

KNOWING THAT HUNTER IS ALSO A FOX SPONSERED RIDER AND YOU ARE A FOX DEALER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT 30 MIN TURN AROUND TIME?

T@AFP
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by dazed&confused
FIRST RACE OF THE YEAR AND YOU BLOW A BRAND NEW SHOCK???? WHATS THAT SAYING????

KNOWING THAT HUNTER IS ALSO A FOX SPONSERED RIDER AND YOU ARE A FOX DEALER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT 30 MIN TURN AROUND TIME?

Just because it was the first National race doesn't mean that was the first time we used it. It has quit a bit of HARD time on it. Hind sight...I should have asked Fox to look at it on Friday after practice. My Bad

Maybe you're right about our relationship with Fox.
But my opinion still stands....SERVICE AT THE TRACK WAY important to us. If/when something breaks. It has to be fixed NOW or ASAP.

EthansDad
03-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Yea, and on the stock shocks, I'm not kidding when I say they are pretty good! just get the preload to full max all the way around. Here is a short clip of Ethan on his practice bike at Pell city going through the whoops with stock shocks keeping a cobra honest that has some sort of resi shock on it..can't tell what.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7QJ7eyAxNyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7QJ7eyAxNyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rookiewrench
03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't care what shock you use, they are all going to have their problems. A friend had a NEW Motowoz rear shock and it had 2 laps of practice and it blew. No customer support at the track and had to use one off his other bike. So I think that it is all customer preference and what kind of support you are looking at wanting. I prefer PEP for my sons mod but that was because of the support that I get from Wayne and Mark Baldwin . Track support is very important at the national level.

If it is elka, motowoz, fox, pep or one of the others ethansdad is correct only you know what if is worth to you.

Good luck

mydirtkids
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
I do like the idea of a HUGE company like fox that has resource. That usually means better service, research/development and support (not ALWAYS) but this has been my experience.

What are your opinions about USED shocks? If you would buy them, what are the warning signs with purchasing used? Also, other items usually only retain 50-60% of their value (generalization). Thanks...

EthansDad
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
maybe Tom or one of the other fox dealers can confirm/deny this, but I don't think fox shocks are part of the moto-fox brand (the big fox head logo company). I thought that too, but did not see any info under corporate info on either companies site. I'm curious if anyone know for sure if the two foxes are the same company or R&D budget.

-EA

raidernut
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Bob Fox split the company years ago, the apparal company is run by one brother, and the suspension company is seperate. We have toured the suspension facility, and it is an enormous operation, employing tons of people. The r&d section is huge with one of every new bike on the market. They also have a top secret r&d room, that few people get to see.

jandjracing
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by rookiewrench
I don't care what shock you use, they are all going to have their problems. A friend had a NEW Motowoz rear shock and it had 2 laps of practice and it blew. No customer support at the track and had to use one off his other bike. So I think that it is all customer preference and what kind of support you are looking at wanting. I prefer PEP for my sons mod but that was because of the support that I get from Wayne and Mark Baldwin . Track support is very important at the national level.

If it is elka, motowoz, fox, pep or one of the others ethansdad is correct only you know what if is worth to you.

Good luck

Are you sure there was no customer service at the track? Was it a local race? Friends name? Did the shock "blow" or did the res line get ate by the chain?

rookiewrench
04-06-2010, 07:21 AM
J and J racing, This is what I know is that the shock blew and it was not able to be fixed at the pell city race and needed to be sent back for repair. No the line did not get caught in the chain.

I am not trying to speak bad about motowoz just stating an example that sometimes thing happen. I know that many people use those shocks and have not had any problem with theirs. I should also clarify that people tried to help with the problem but it was not able to be repaired at the track. My earlier reply was more in response to dazed and confused reply.

jandjracing
04-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by rookiewrench
I should also clarify that people tried to help with the problem but it was not able to be repaired at the track.

I was just looking for more info. Jim has had me set up for a couple of years with some repair parts, oil, nitro, etc to be able to provide "customer service". I have been at all the races and have Motowoz parts, some new shocks, clothing and have never refuzed a Motowoz repair. I don't remember even looking at one that was blown. What kind of quad was it on?

rookiewrench
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
The quad was Logan Howards and I know that Matt Rowe looked at the shock and tried to help but was unable to so they used the shock off of his brother mod which is the same as Logans. I beleive it was sent back and should be repaired by Kentucky. I am not sure if Matt contacted you in regards to the repair at the track. The quad was a 90 mod.

jandjracing
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
That's unfortunate when all of the corect resources were there. Companies can get a bad rap when people intervene and try to handle things they can not or should not. Just letting you know there is and has been customer service for these at the track. I will also let Mr. Howard and Mr. Rowe know where they can come and get Motowoz fixed.

marsrace2
04-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Our Quad is at Motowoz right now getting a custom set of shocks done for it. I have to say I am beyond impressed with Jims dedication and attention to detail. The amount of time and research he has put into this build for us is amazing. I am confident that I am getting the best shocks possible for our application.

Cole's Pop
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by corman22
New to the whole chatting on this website but we race dist.23 and this year we will be starting to run some nationals, we have fallen in love with Motowoz and Jim will help you any way he can.

There are alot of good shocks out ther but Motowoz has worked best for us. Good luck

+1 on Motowoz. Jim is very knowledgeable. Good people too. He did all the shocks on my 06 TRX450R. I used Teixeira Techs rear link and I was easily getting 12" rear travel thanks to both Jim and Ed working their magic.

They are pretty too!!