PDA

View Full Version : front brakes not releasing

derekhonda
03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Just did a set of front brake pads amongst other things. Left the caliper attached to the quad, just took the brakes out, scrubbed around the piston, got a big C clamp, pushed the piston back in, put the new brakes on, and bolted everything together (just like I have 5 or 6 times before...)

But, the "outer" pad is snug to the rotor, and will not allow the hub to spin freely with my hand.

I tried to move my sliders in and out, appears they are frozen stiff. Never rebuilt the slides, is it just a pin and greese, or is it seals...etc? Anyone got any tips and perhaps a diagram?

Derek

CJM
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Probably need to be rebuilt, the pistons sound frozen.

Could try pushing them back in with some WD40 for some lube but I doubt it will help.

Either rebuild or new/used ones. i scored a frontend pair off ebay for 120 about 2 weeks ago for mine since I had the same issues.

matts27
03-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Pull the caliper pins, probably full of crud. Clean 'em up then grease em up with some brake/bearing grease. They should move in and out freely, if it's been 5 or 6 pad swaps they're full of rust/mud/crud and probably dry as a bone. good luck , Matt

derekhonda
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Well, the main piston that pushes on the pads is fine, it moves in and out. It is the slider that allows the caliper to re-ajust as the pads wear that are not moving back out. If I stuck my old pads on there everything would work ok, as the slider is adjusted for worn out pads.

I pulled the rubber boots on the slider, never looked at these before. One appears to just float, not attached to anything. The other one is rusted solid. Sprayed some penetrating oil on it, looks like a 6mm allen wrench will free it up, then I guess I'll see what comes next....