PDA

View Full Version : 44 Pilot?

tywebb3
03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Is anyone out there running a 44 pilot jet? I bumped up to a 42 and it helped the "hiccuping" but I still haven't got it totally cured. I have the needle and main jet dialed in but every once in a while I will pull in the clutch to stop the bike and it shuts off. It fires right back up but it is a little annoying and I would love to get rid of it. The carb choke has been removed, Fat Boy 4 exhaust, and CFM airbox with lid on and UNI air filter. The needle is in the stock position, 158 main jet and the pilot screw is out about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 turns (its been a while and I don't remember exactly).

dalejiw25
03-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Hey there, Sounds like you could have a bad Air cut-off valve or bad o-ring seal on your joint pipe. maybe even a hole in the vacuum line running into it. Check all those things for sure because your pilot jet seems plenty big enough for your mods. I am running a 45 pilot with the mods. I have listed. I am at about 1000 ft. ele.

bigbad400
03-28-2010, 07:42 AM
first u cant say that u have the others dialed if the idle circuit is off, it can change. second i have one 400 motor that is running a 45 pilot i never saw a 44 i dont think. if its too rich it will wet foul or not start.

tywebb3
03-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Where is this air cut off valve you mentioned? Kind of scratching my head on the joint pipe to? If you mean the pipe between the carb and airbox....it is fine.

As for not having it dialed in....it is as close as I have ever had it at this point. The bike will sit and idle fine and runs good overall. The only problem I have is the 3x's over the course of an hour of riding where it might shut off on me when I pull the clutch in and let off the gas to stop.

dalejiw25
03-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Pull the side cover off the carb. You will then see a black plastic valve with the vacuum hose attached to it. That is your air cut-off valve. Remove the one screw that holds it in place and underneath the valve is the joint pipe(very small brass valve with the o-rings on it)There should also be an o-ring on the air cut-off valve where it attaches to the carb(the other port). If It is not functioning properly you will get popping on deceleration as well as stalling on deceleration. Good luck.