PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

jeff450rr
03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
i have not started my 450r in over a yr now I am able to start riding again and when I did start it it seemed to get hot sooner than normal could the thermostat be bad or the water pump propeller be bad any ideas of where to start

Ichoptop
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
how hot? after how much time? riding or at idle? how do you know its hot? is the fan coming on? have you checked the coolant level?

much more info is needed if you want help.

jeff450rr
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
it was at idol and the fluid level was full it took about maybe 5 min i was just letting it warm up the fan kicked on and it usually never does

Ichoptop
03-26-2010, 03:50 PM
pull the thermostat out and test it. though I have only see maybe a handful of them go bad ever. But you can check. If it was the pump impeller you would have heard it.

jeff450rr
03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
I tested the thermostat and it works I am stumped and dont want to ride until I figure this out

brilo_pad
03-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Try bleeding the system to to get any air out. My 450r recently was overheating on me very quickly and it turned out after i replaced my coolant i didnt bleed the air out correctly.

To do this take the rad cap off and fire up the engine
then blip the throttle a couple of times and if theres any air in the system u should see it all come to the top kinda like a 'burp'. just keep doing this until it stops.

worth a try anyways

MR4Engine202
04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
you forgot to try and make the spout on the rad the highect point on the frame by propping the right front tire on something...it ensured that the bubbles will make it out of the spout

450ice
04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
i had the same exact problem with mine, and i never thought to check it until one time, let mine sit about two months then everytime after that i would start it and coolant would empty the resivor,after a litte bit figure out the hot start was siezed up in the carb leaning it out so it would over heat