PDA

View Full Version : axel.. :(

450rdominator
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
i have a 2006 450er, and i need to get my axel off, my buddy works for a powder coating company, and said if i stripped the bike, he'd paint everything i wanted, so i need to know how that rear axel, comes off, and if anyone knows how to take the springs off the shocks, that would be great too! thank you!

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Powdercoating everything means that EVERYTHING must be completely disassembled. But if you are looking to only powdercoat your axle, break the axle nut loose, take wheels and hubs off. Remove rear caliper, loosen axle nut, remove snap ring, slide axle nut off, slide rotor and hub off, loosen chain, take it off, remove sprocket and presto. The sprocket hub is pressed on, and I prolly wouldn't fool with that. The springs are easy though. Remove shocks, take all preload off the springs, compress springs, remove seats, then the springs and buckets will come right off. :devil:

nskukalek79
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Turn the larger diameter nut counter clockwise if you are looking at it from the back right tire (passenger side of car) until there is a space between the larger diameter nut and the smaller one. Then turn the smaller nut the same direction until you see a clip in a groove in the axle...take the clip out using a screw driver and pull the nuts away from the swing arm. I use a large pipe wrench for the nuts since they are about 2 inch nuts or something. Then the axle just slips out of the swing arm after you remove the wheel and hub.

one time i had to file the axle right where the groove is to get the nut to slide off because it made a burr....but you probably wont have to do this

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by nskukalek79

one time i had to file the axle right where the groove is to get the nut to slide off because it made a burr....but you probably wont have to do this

Actually, this is good advice, as it's a more common problem than you might think.

mjc597
03-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Actually, this is good advice, as it's a more common problem than you might think.
x2, i had the same problem with mine..

nskukalek79
03-26-2010, 08:52 AM
alright then...maybe you will have to do this lol

And like fastredrider44 said, everything must be taken off...make sure and get the bearring carrier out of the swingarm and the bearings in the front (Where the swingarm bolt is) must also be removed