PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug/tune up help?

atvmx_freak08
03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Recently traded for a 250R and I was doing some freshining up on the motor, new crank, rod, piston and some other stuff and i was wondering if anyone has been using the NGK Iridium plugs in a two stroke? I read some reviews and they sounds like they run awesome in all the four strokes but I havent heard much about the 2 and wanted to know what everyone else thinks about them. Also, there isn't many places close to where I live selling racing fuel and wondering if anyone runs octance boost in their two stroke? I've heard a few different brands of boost are bad for fouling plugs and things like that? Let me know what you've heard, Thanks!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=121&navTitle=Engine&webCatId=17&prodFamilyId=2132#vehicleSelect

jcs003
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
i am also a bit curious about the iridium plugs.

deathman53
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Iriduium plugs are a waste of money if your jetting is fairly close. Get a br8ev and be done. As for the octane boost, thats mostly a waste too, it will raise the octane some, max 5-8 points depending how much you put in, but it tends to make problems with jetting and inconsistent octane numbers.

twopump78
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
duncan say to run them in their pc2000 cylinders.

jcs003
03-26-2010, 01:32 AM
more about the "br8ev" plug. what are its benefits over BR8ES?

deathman53
03-26-2010, 03:21 AM
I don't remember it exactly, it had something to do with the plug electrodes and how it has 2 and it produces a better spark.

atvmx_freak08
03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
From everything I've heard the iridium plugs are supposed to have a bigger, hotter burning spark? It has a br8es right now and I'm starting to run the paul turner duncan race head and wanted to know if the iridium would help give it a little more throttle response and little stuff like that. Everyone also says it makes starting a lot easier.

Honda 250r 001
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by atvmx_freak08
From everything I've heard the iridium plugs are supposed to have a bigger, hotter burning spark? It has a br8es right now and I'm starting to run the paul turner duncan race head and wanted to know if the iridium would help give it a little more throttle response and little stuff like that. Everyone also says it makes starting a lot easier.

Heres what ithink,
On a stock ignition it might help, because it has a weak spark from stock. But on a cr 250 ignition it wont make a difference because it already has a nice fat blue spark.

atvmx_freak08
03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
True, I think I might go pick one up next time I foul a plug and see if there is any difference ad let everyone know. Only like 8 bucks, not gonna break the bank too bad.

derby
03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
I don't remember it exactly, it had something to do with the plug electrodes and how it has 2 and it produces a better spark.

I disagree with this. If you don't get any performance gain out of it at least when you torch the plug the strap does not burn off and destroy your piston or dome. More critical to alcohol motors but I have seen it in some gas motors.

As for using it on a cr or trx the problem with the trx is not the plug it is a lack of spark due to the design itself. So by changing the plug if it does increase the spark why would you not also get increased spark with the cr? Just a thought. If you want a hot spark a battery fired ignition will give you the best spark you can get.

jcs003
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
the trx spark is definitly weak. it doesnt even give off a shock in my hand but it will ignite the fuel/air.

but if the plus is more efficient and fires more consistently it will have advantages. at least thats what iridium technology claims.