PDA

View Full Version : TRX, YFZ, or LTR??

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Ok so im gettin off the ol 250r and trying to decide on what quad to get and i need some help! im VERY new to 4 strokes

I switch between MX and XC and race both, heres what ive heard and what i know and like about each one (buying used)

TRX: I could only afford an 04-05, MAYBE an 06, the '04's have some weak frames and weak cranks, I believe the '05's also have some weak cranks? Whats the better year? If their as good as everyone says, the only thing stopping me is how expensive they are

LTR: i havent heard ANY negatives on the bike, the only thing i know about is that on the 06's they would shift down by themselves, i was thinking about getting one but they look WAY to bulky for me and i dont like that, so if its the only thing available i might just go with it, but that bulky look and feel pisses me off

YFZ: Basically i can get one cheap, and still have money to build it, havent heard to much positive things on it, whats your take?

krt400ex
03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
get the ktm 450xc if you plan on throwing money at those quads. it comes built already. and if you get the racer package (worth 1500 but most dealers are thrwing it in for free) you will get a slip op, nerfs, front bumer, steering stabilizer, and some other stuff. its ready to go right out of the box and it sits at 47 or 48 inches? you can mx it and xc it.

rollie
03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
All the year honda's have "weak" frames. depends on your riding style though, i know people in the same class and one hasnt crack it yet, and the other had to get a new frame, if you guesset them there much stronger though.

the 04/05's both had crank bearing problems, but if they haven't already been replaced, the bike either has really low hours, or chances are it won't blow.

the 04/05's are identical so don't worry much about year.

in my experience the LTR's weak link is the transmission, a shift pin relocator from BCS performance will help the problem, but most of the LTR owners i know have gone through trannies, other than that there solid bikes in my opinion, the LTR is the only other bike i would consider getting.

stay away from the 04 YFZ's again from my experience the first years had problems, some where fixed in 05 and i believe most if not all where fixed in 06

400exrider69
03-25-2010, 10:41 AM
personally i'd rather have a 250r lol
:cool:

i've had a honda 450r personally the 40-05's are a better machine stock front end motor is supposed to rev faster or something like that
ALL the honda 450r's have weak frames
the trans are better in 04-05's you see alot of guys with 06 and up with coating or something on their transmissions

ltr i've had some time on an 06 with pipe cherry bomb k&N hipers razor2's that thing ate was very quick handled good i'm looking for one at moment for woods racing

yfz after owning an 05 i wouldn't buy anything older than 07-08 to many little things to fix imo they do run good and are very similar motor's to yz426f's. the yfz didnt feel as fast or seem to pull as hard as yfz did

have you looked into Polaris outlaw's can-am ds 450 and Kawi's
every machine will have it's little defects but if i rember right can-am and polaris have the best support for racers and best deals at moment a dealer ship 50 miles away had 08 ds 450 for $3700 it'll need some updates but i thought it was very good.

the polaris outlaws have ktm motor's which rip i test rode a couple at my local polaris dealership one after noon and i've seen some good deals on them also

sent from iphone

QuadJunkies
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Everyones going to have there own personal preference. Until you go out and try them all yourself, only YOU will be able to answer that question. ;)

We have had an 06 honda450 and also have the 07 LTR and loved them both. Frame issues on the honda ,no issues on the LTR.

LTR is chubby for sure ... but its got the most bang for the buck and so loving the EFI .You can find some great deals on both machines right now .

YFZ, never been a fan of for personal reasons ,just not a quad of interest .

If I could afford to upgrade to any quad right now my choice would be a KTM.

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider69
if i rember right can-am and polaris have the best support for racers and best deals at moment a dealer ship 50 miles away had 08 ds 450 for $3700 it'll need some updates but i thought it was very good.

Any idea how i can find out more about the support?

Thanks for the input guys, if anyone has more feel free.

After I sell my R and get rid of everything I should have close to 4k, so I want to be able to get something (obviously used) and have money to get it built some, thats the goal.

400exrider69
03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
there some threads n ds450/640 fourm on here id ask on polaris fourm or probly any local dealship theyll help you find out mpre about it

banker30
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a 05 yfz and personally i wont ride anything else. people say the motors are junk well its all on how you maintain them. the first rebuild mine had over 100 hours on it. and in 5 years its only had 2 full rebuilds. just do the oil mod and your good to go with a yfz

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
are Can-Am's even worth it lol seems like they break a lot

Pappy
03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Seeing you stated you switch between MX and XC....the YFZ seems to me to be the best choice.

The KTM isnt without its faults, none of them are but its a hefty price tag.

03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
04-05 450R vs. 04-05 YFZ450, I would take the 450R.

06-08 vs. 06-08, I would get the YFZ. The YFZ's were upgraded EVERY year and by 06 everything was pretty well fixed and set up. Better suspension too.

If you ride more XC then MX, YFZ. If you ride more MX over XC, LTR.

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Seeing you stated you switch between MX and XC....the YFZ seems to me to be the best choice.

The KTM isnt without its faults, none of them are but its a hefty price tag.

yea and im not willing to dig up money for a KTM lol

but im pretty hard on the bike when it comes to XC, I know a 4 stroke will be way different and it will take some getting used to, but on trails im pretty quick and tend to stay on the gas (of course depending on the track layout) and im not really one to let something slow me down. However Im pretty more leniant with MX, I think its been more of the fact that im paranoid something will break and I wont afford to fix it, but I Plan on training with a Pro-Am racer to get faster so im not sure how Ill end up with MX as far as how Ill treat it on the MX track. So im pretty much looking for reliability, but now I guess its just come down to which bike is more comfortable. And like i said before, the LTR is just BIG, and i guess the best way i can put it, is I want a bike I feel i could man-handle haha

MX MaNiAc 06
03-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I have an 06 450r for sale if you're interested. Brand new rebuild. Runs like new and selling within your price range. Send me a pm if you're interested.

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I have an 06 450r for sale if you're interested. Brand new rebuild. Runs like new and selling within your price range. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Man if you were closer i would be all over that :/ but im in south texas

MX MaNiAc 06
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Ah damn i didnt see that!

ElSean13
03-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Ah damn i didnt see that!

lmao sorry bro, like i said if it was closer id buy it

beastlywarrior
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
check out the outlaws

Robin Hood
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I love my LTR to death. Beat on her for 3 years before she needed a full rebuild. I did 2 years of full XC racing and I rode every weekend in between the races at local MX tracks.

Stock width sucks in the trails, but when you get to the MX track you'll love it. If you throw on Z 400 rear hubs and 4:1 offset front wheels, you can pull her to 47-48inches which is pretty good for XC racing.

03-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I havent had a whole lot of seat time on the different quads, all I know is I hated the YFZ! Never in my life will you see me buying one. The LTR for sure is nice in stock form but for woods being that wide sometimes it gets iffy. TRX now I have some seat time on and its a 05. Its alright nothing to really rave about but I feel most comfortable on it and for being stock I'd say its good. The crank problem does scare me, but I believe theres a fix, I just hate to grenade the thing before I get around to replacing the bearings.