PDA

View Full Version : Best or worst memories while out riding, post them up

rcer450r
03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Thought this may be fun :) post up some of your best or even your morst memories while you were out riding. It can be on the track or on the trail. Lets see what kind of crazy stories people have on here ;)

dns1764
03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
probably 2 months after i got my fist quad i was our riding behind my house. my neighbirs own the land and gave me permission to. i knew that they owned a good amount, so we had a little trail to what we thought was public property. one day i was out messing around in some mud and this guy pops out of no where dressed in full camo with a rifle and a dog. i booked it into my yard cause i think i hit him with a roost of mud. he claimed (more of a yelling voice) i was destroying the woods and blah blah blah and he will call the cops. after he got done i turned to him with a straight face and said "well at least i dont kill animals. especially when its not hunting season. have a nice day and get the f*** out of my yard"

rcer450r
03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I hate people like that, especially hypocrites... We have some problems like that around here, if people would just mind their own business things would be so much better

VTredneckgames
03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
way too many good times to even try to post.

Some of the worst: Went to WV riding, may 08. Started out sunny and 60. Werent prepared, no extra clothes or coats. Poured the rain and dropped to upper 40s. Almost froze but we finally made it the 20 miles back to the truck.

Pushed fourwheelers a couple weeks ago about 1/2 mile up the side of a mountain in 18" of snow. It doesnt matter how good your tires are or how good your 4x4 works if your frame is on the ground.

Drowned a dirt bike out 30 miles from camp, spent 2 hrs getting it to run. Finally got back to camp at about 11pm.

Broke the U-joint while riding with my buddy along time ago. We both had to double a 125trx 5 miles back to my house in 6" of snow.

dns1764
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
deep mud wit nothing to pull it out except your own strength = way too many bad memories

Robin Hood
03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Hit a deer 5th pinned on my Raptor 660. Needed a new front end. Plus the cops chased me home after wards.

Flipped the 660 5th pinned w/ a friend on back. Tore my buddy's leg up, I got a severe concussion and internal bleeding. Needless to say I learned a lesson here...

Flipped the LTR at Somerset 09 in an huge downhill section 4th pinned. Woke up with the quad on top of me and my buddies trying to pull me out from under it.

rcer450r
03-28-2010, 06:24 PM
When I had the ol' 400ex i was driving it across the yard and it was a little wet well my dog decided to bolt across the yard and right in front of me and I swerved to miss him and lost control and the wheeler rolled right over me...didnt feel to good once I finally came too...pull the wheeler in the garage went in and laid down on the couch haha

PaRedneckRiders
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
last year i rode at tri county atv alot (its in southwestern pa)
Well me and my buddys were always juz messing around on there track, its not the greatest but its fun
Well needless to say that summer i watched 2 ppl wreck on a double that was no more than 10-15ft across

1st was a 52yr old man on his brothers 700 raptor came off the table top and was going way to fast and at the last second paniced and slammed on the brakes Well he did a nose dive into the bottom of the landing ramp so i kinda ditched my quad and ran down to c if he was alright becasue i was the only other 1 riding on the track

Well when it was all said and done he now has a rod through, i think its 7 of his vertebrae

The 2nd crash was a BRAND NEW razor S he hit the jump not knowing there was a landing ramp and smashed right into it

When he hit and flipped end over end one time
Broke the hood, steering wheel, Smahed a big hole in the rad. and wouldnt even try to start

Ok my crash so not to long ago about a week i was riding some local trails trying to keep up with one of my friends (he was on a crf250r i was on a 400ex)
Came around a turn that had a little mud and started to slide well needless to say the trail slits, u can go left and make a wide turn or right and make a sharp turn
Well i didnt make the sharp turn and pegged the tree that was right in the middle of the trail
Bent a rim and tierod and now the front left shock is blown out

KAWIRYDER
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
My first atv was a yamaha warrior. I came around a corner to fast and hit a deep tire track and pitch me off the side of the rode and hit a big pine tree. Lucky for me the branches cushioned me a little, but i hyper extended both my knees. My atv was stuck in the tree, lucky my buddy was there to pull it out while I layed there. Now I try a lot harder to keep it on 4 wheels.:D

CJM
03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Had a suzuki 230 4 stroke and was riding in some sand pits doing some very small jumps.

Saw this one jump that had a launch and land ramp. Didnt realize they dug a 4ftx8ftx4ft or so hole to make the ramps. Last second I let off when I realized the hole and fell frontend first into the hole.

Banged my thigh/knee pretty good but hurt my shoulder yanking the quad out..

Also pulled a wheelie once by standing on the grab bar/quad but flopped onto my stomach on the seat so hard it knocked the wind out of me and the quad kept rolling with me on it lol..

Canadian144
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I have 2 "worst ones":

1) Back in the summer of 08, when I only had my Baja 90cc quad. I was riding, and it ran out of gas just a minute or two away from my cottage. No biggie. But my neighbor offered me a ride on his Suzuki 70cc dirtbike - I was like sure, what the heck. Anyways, I had never rode a bike before, so when I wanted to brake, I slammed the front brakes or something and somehow ended up falling to the side. I have the ugliest looking scar on my elbow now haha. I was lucky that I was still wearing my helmet.

2) Up at my cottage, riding the LTR450 for the first time up there on the trails (I had been riding it for about 5-6 months before that, at my farm though). Anyways this was on the May 24th long weekend (in Canada anyways), and it was still a bit chilly and raining. I wasn't really paying too much attention to where I was going, and was probably going a bit too fast for the first ride of the year (usually with all the snow and stuff the trail always changes slightly over the winter). I was on a trail that ran about 4 feet off of the road, and there are driveways for cottages off of the road. Anyways I noticed a fallen tree, went to the side to avoid it, so I went left and after I avoided the tree I was on someone's driveway (since you cross many of them on the trail), but didn't notice that on the other side of the driveway, there was a drop of about 3 feet into a ditch where the water flowed underneath the driveway via a pipe. So I noticed it at the last second, and slammed on my front brakes, and basically went front first into this ditch that was quite full of water. I was at almost a 90 degree angle and fell into the water LOL. Got back up and pushed the quad back, it started ride up and I just rode away hahaha. I could have easily cleared it had I not decided to brake to try to avoid it .

And I don't have any "best" memories that are coming to mind right now. Maybe later.

Bigkyle111
03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
probely the best feeling was the first time I hit my buddies freestyle kicker, 40ft isnt much but it was a big deal to me.

the second is when i pulled a half lap lead at my very first arena cross race.

toby400ex
03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I guess my worst experience was riding with my buddy. His parents bought him a brand new Honda Recon, Im guessing he chose this quad because it was the first one I had also. We were ripping through the woods for maybe 20 minutes before he bounced his Recon off a foot tall beaver stump at the edge of a creek bank.

Sadly enough he bounced his 20 minute old quad right off the edge of the creek bank and right into 5 feet of ice cold water. It was the first time I ever saw a quad float. That poor recon was floating upside down, it had literally been 2 hours since they picked it up from the dealership and it was floating upside down. It was crazy, we were both maybe 17. I don't know who wouldn't have freaked out, but we towed it home and after flushing it out a few times it ran fine. I've broke bones racing but that is still the most memorable time riding.

ZBlaster
03-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Best: Overalling my first race in my 2nd ever Pro class race this winter. Ended up with over 5 minutes on 2nd place.

Worst: Yadkin Valley Stomp 2009 terrible start, started making up ground, got a good rhythm going... one wide long stretch clipped a stump. I remember laying in the trail with my buddy Chuck who happened to be running the same class picking my quad up off me. Bruised ribs, broken wrist, broken fender mount, tweaked stem, and tweaked tie rod later I finished the race.

rcer450r
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Had a suzuki 230 4 stroke and was riding in some sand pits doing some very small jumps.

Saw this one jump that had a launch and land ramp. Didnt realize they dug a 4ftx8ftx4ft or so hole to make the ramps. Last second I let off when I realized the hole and fell frontend first into the hole.

Banged my thigh/knee pretty good but hurt my shoulder yanking the quad out..

Also pulled a wheelie once by standing on the grab bar/quad but flopped onto my stomach on the seat so hard it knocked the wind out of me and the quad kept rolling with me on it lol..

I did almost the same thing on the hole deal except it was a ditch that I didnt see lol bent the tie rod and hurt my leg and chest some

jesseweaver
03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
my best probably is my first race i got 12th out of 34. not the best result but im happy with it because i get a bad start and was about dead last out of the first turn. i just charged the whole race and made up a lot of ground.

worst has to be that all too familiar feeling everytime you get when you're sliding/flipping/somersalting through the dirt. and after your done rolling and you sit up and try to catch your bearings and find your bike and figure out what happened and if any bones are broke. not fun at all

reconmaster
03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
worst was me paralyzing myself hit a 4ft hight 30ft long single to table top just cased it and i mean rear caught the tip of the landing threw me over the bars and the quad lawn darted on my back, one of my buddies thats paralyzed and his buddy came to watch me smoked the clutch in 8th lap i was kinda of embarassed lol. when i had my bike in 1st gear didn't realize it and couldn't do a run on my quad in my home town (kept maxing out and couldn't shift), bike wouldn't start at anothe rcompetiton and some smart asses were laughing at the fact i had to get picked up and had my bike boosted.

best: getting back on a quad after my injury for the 1st time, doing my 1st competition, racing my 1st ever mx race well arena cross since my injury racing redbud two weeks after and well beating someone at a county fair race that talked dirty about my wreck and thought he could beat me easily because i was ddisabled (he got dqed for losign control and hitting a pylon haha)

J.Brown121
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, so I was flyin' through a trail at my buddy's house and the sun was going down. I was going through a section that had some rolling whoops going uphill into the sun with my dusty arse goggles on. I was in 4th about halfway into it when I caught the left front tire on a tree. The quad flipped and threw me a long ways into a tree head first, but I was wearin' my brain bucket so i was good as gold. The next day I was sore all over, but my head didn't hurt:D

And the best riding memory was the first time I went to Little Sahara, OK. We got there at like 11pm on a friday night, unloaded, and went out. It was so awesome! There wasn't a cloud in the sky and a full moon. We rode until about 5am, and then we went back so we could sleep. The next day we went out and found some nice jumps. It was a blast. :D

03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Best I would have to say all the times I had ridden with my little bro. I loved how he would scope things out and pick a line or something that he thought would be fun then we would do the no you try it 1st but I always agreed to be the test dummy lol I would do anything to be able to re live those moments, riding hasnt been the same since he's gone :(

Worst would definately be jumping up a wall of rock. It was stupid to think about hitting a jump you couldnt roll up because you would flip back and you couldnt roll down because you would front flip being it was like 90°. Hit it 3 times sketchy but fun having a little crowd of people watching like look as this crazy mofo. 4th time eh what goes up 10ft+ must come down 10ft+. I got bucked off when the suspension bottomed out hitting the face, tried to save it but I flew off and fell from 12ft or so. Where I fell to the side there was a wall so I slammed my back against it. Hoping its over I see my quad coming down right at me and I cant move out of the way still being stunned I just slammed my back against this wall. The quad landed on me, I blacked out. I woke up to see people trying to pull my quad off of me out of this steep valley. The motor was resting on me so I got burns while I was blacked out. So they get it off of me and everyones surrounding me asking if I'm alright. Well I'm alive, but I cant feel my legs. I was picked up and put on my seat, people started the quad, put it in gear and I had to ride back to the parking lot about a mile away. IDK what caused it but for a week not exagerating here I had no feeling in my legs. I couldnt wiggle my toes or anything it was just like numb. Made me realize how strong people that are paralyzed are. I had only a small taste of what it was like and mine wasnt even waste down it was just my legs. I had to be carried into the bathroom and sat down on the toilet or sat down in the shower. One of the scariest things I have experienced

ATVMX33
03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
worst...
flipping a lt80 on my driveway and had to walk up a wooded trail with my bone sticking out my arm and a hole in my foot

best....
going 100ft for the first time and drifting in the snow

Quad18star
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Worst memory .... Getting nailed by a kid on a dirtbike which shattered my leg into many pieces , which required numerous surgeries, bone grafts and rehab.

Best memory .... pulling the holeshot on quad that wasn't even broken in yet ( brand new from the showroom to the track) and see the look on the guys faces after the event. They couldn't believe I had smoked them on a stock quad , when they were all running MX ready quads.

I'd also have to say , when I was younger and had my LT 250R and I'd go riding with my buddies. We used to have a blast just riding all day ( not at an MX track)

quad2xtreme
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
worst for me is watching my wife or a brother in a wreck and I can't freeze time. I can think of 3 times of watched my wife get rolled over by the quad. Somehow, I've always willed them to safety though. :) If I could just will myself to safety that would be good.

Was at Hatfield McCoy and went up a long climb. At the end, you cross a road and then there was this nearly straight up and down section that was about 15 feet high. I was well ahead of my buddy Gus so I hopped off my quad and pointed at that section telling him to go for it. I was totally kidding but he went for it. He was confused and thought we were in another area where I was telling him to go up this little section I always do so he totally trusted me. It was a joke though...I didn't expect him to attempt it. He went for it...jumped off the top, landed and stopped at a tree. I managed to crawl up the hill and help get the quad turned around. I nearly had a heart attack watching him go for it. Again, I just wanted to freeze time and couldn't.

DEVINF450R
03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by reconmaster
worst was me paralyzing myself hit a 4ft hight 30ft long single to table top just cased it and i mean rear caught the tip of the landing threw me over the bars and the quad lawn darted on my back, one of my buddies thats paralyzed and his buddy came to watch me smoked the clutch in 8th lap i was kinda of embarassed lol. when i had my bike in 1st gear didn't realize it and couldn't do a run on my quad in my home town (kept maxing out and couldn't shift), bike wouldn't start at anothe rcompetiton and some smart asses were laughing at the fact i had to get picked up and had my bike boosted.

best: getting back on a quad after my injury for the 1st time, doing my 1st competition, racing my 1st ever mx race well arena cross since my injury racing redbud two weeks after and well beating someone at a county fair race that talked dirty about my wreck and thought he could beat me easily because i was ddisabled (he got dqed for losign control and hitting a pylon haha)

Glad to hear you are back at it and ok... ive broken my back and it wasnt fun

My best memories would have to be the very first time I waited for the gate to drop, the first time I jumped a 100' gap jump, and the look on all the kids faces when you are signing thier autographs for fans at arena-cross races. Riding at Sunset Ridge with Chad Weinen is a good one too

Worst: Breaking my back and spending the night in the hospital with a subdural hematoma, breaking both my thumbs at the same time, letting a team member down by not doing as well in a race as I should

AUSSIE80
05-15-2010, 04:46 AM
racing three wide in a bush bash, i got squeezed of the track doin about 50 mph. I hit a chicken wire fence that moulded perfectly around the front wheel, bars and my hands, no bark busters no gloves. the wire was cutting into all knuckles so i couldn't back off, only go down gears. when the others got back the old IT490 was peak revving, the back wheel half buried in hard granite and I was stuck bleeding out both hands unable to get off a bike that hadn't even been layed down in the crash.
even better was the time when taking off the back wheel, i just rattled off the axle retaining nut, stuck my finger inside the nut caught inside the socket accidently hit the trigger and screwed the nut up my finger, guess how i got it back off.

destey
05-15-2010, 05:51 AM
broke a toe while trying to move a boulder a tree hugger put in the trail. my fault, but ever since i said i wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

sunco
05-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Best - Hatfield McCoy trip w/ my two boys - three 450's w/ pipes screaming all over the place - no one was around - went during the weekday. Music to my ears - Hammering on the HWY was tits also

:devil:

Worst - Doing a no footer at BPG landing pass the jump - compressed myself like 2". sucked then I had to drive 4 hours home.

buck440
05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
the first time i sat on a/my quad, 04 400ex popped my cherry:macho

yellowzo3
05-16-2010, 05:46 PM
One of my worst memories (non injury) was when me and a few friends were riding through a muddy field pretty fast to get out of sight asap and my clutch blew out in the middle of the field. I was completely visible to any cops passing by on a fairly busy street. I couldn't even move the quad as the tires were caked with mud and it was basically stuck. A friend pulled me about 1/8th mile through mud at least 1ft deep and I had to hide out in some landscaping around a warehouse until my other friend called his buddy and got him to pick me up with his truck. Was crazy but I'm thankful my friends came through for me that day :cool:

Fun memory- One time a friend and I were cruising around during a snowstorm and were heading home (he just got his KFX400 and I had my Z400 for a while)... We were one behind the other for most of the way until he took a different route while I took some back roads to be safe. I passed some people that gave me a smile and a wave and made it home in no time feeling good. Little did I know he took a route that went RIGHT PAST the MUNICIPAL BUILDING. He of course got pulled over immediately and got grilled by the cop. I had no idea where he was but it was too risky to ride around every street looking for him. I thought he may have crashed or something as it was his first quad ever. Apparently he got out of it somehow and went straight home... I had no idea any of this happened and it took like an hour for me to get in contact with him and find out. The municipal building is only 5 minutes walking distance from each of our houses so he wasn't far at all. I still to this day can't figure out WHY he took that road when there were like 4 other routes to get home without anyone seeing him ahaha... He still took his quad out after that, even if it was just a light dusting of snow... He even took it down the highway once during the snow to get to a girls house lmfao.

Those were the days. Neither of us ride anymore and its too risky to ride ANYTHING during the snow now. :(

juice420
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
The worst for me is definately when I was up north riding the trails, had it pinned in 4th coming around a blind corner and hit a pile of pine tree branches that some tree hugger put in the middle of the trail. Well when I finally came to I was in the pile with a 2" wide branch sticking out of my neck and my quad was pretty much wrapped around a tree about 75 feet from where I was laid out.

The best is pretty much anytime besides that lol.

WhiteZrider
05-16-2010, 07:59 PM
The best memories of being out riding, is having a good time with my friends!

Trxracr
05-16-2010, 08:43 PM
best was holeshotting my first race on the yfz

worst #1 crashing yfz in a ditch in 3rd somehow flew 100ft, the quad landed on me and my back is broke

worst #2 rolling the yfz pinned in 5th i had a pretty bad concussion was unconcios for bout 5 mins i guess, woke up to my buddy tuggin on my arm, my first words "is the quad okay"

worst #3 theres a stream that runs through my dads woods that floods in the spring i was goin through bout 3ft of ice cold water and got hung up on a stump it was about 35 degrees that was the coldest 2 miles home ever cuz i was soaked head to toe!

tayyo789
05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
First ride on my first hybrid, wheelying past all the almighty raptors up the big dunes.