View Full Version : front pully doesnt engage on ground Y not

buckfourty
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
with the bike on the ground the front pully doesnt come out so the bike dont move......
with the bike in the air it comes out everytime

EthansDad
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
well, front pulley controls shifting. so if you just rev it on the ground, I assume with case off, it might not move, even if the bike jerks forward. it will not move until it needs to "shift". if you where to run it up to 10 mph, I'd expect to see it shift, although I would not do that to our bikes with the case off, too much stress on the rear pulley---it really needs that bearing in the case on the outside!

If the bike is not moving at all, it is likely not your front pulley. does the rear clutch bell move on the stand fast past stall speed? if not, you might have issues with your clutch shoes (inside the clutch bell).

I'd take the clutch apart and inspect. take the roller weights out of the front pulley/variator and look for flat spots. replace if they are not round any more. clean the variator. take off the rear clutch pulley and inspect the shoes. are they worn to the metal, are the springs still in place? last I'd change out the rear torque spring. A very worn torque spring can cause the rear pulley to not have enough tension on the belt to allow drive to happen. that could also be a suspect in the non-movement area. have you changed it recently? they might only last a couple of hard rides, depending on your setup.

those are your three big areas of failure in the clutch. check it out and let us know what you find out.

-EA

-EA

buckfourty
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
thanks yea the case was off ... brand new belt rollers and clutch so def not worn..... the variator moves freely by hand no signs of any ware not even the black bushings no nicks no nata... i have a stage 6 clutch and bell... its really weired cause itsometimes works the first time then u go and stop and go to take off again and it boggs down and dont come out..... im going to try a new variator and try the old clutch and jus start with the basics an see what happens ill do one part at a time and see what happens its also funny cause it was doin this once i built it and i changed the clip on the carb needle to the center and it was running great but after he ran it for like 20 mins it started to act up again so idk what it is very annoyed and discouraged.....

Coley'sdad#8
03-26-2010, 07:15 AM
take the variator off, check the bushing that is pressed in the back and make sure it is not sliping in and out or is loose, it is supposed to be peened in place but with heat and time they can get loose. when they get hung out just a little it is like taking off in a higher gear, thus bog. clean and polish all moving parts, dry mockup and move by hand, all should be smooth, if not replace.
I personally like the dr pulley variator because it has a lock ring in the back that keeps the bushing where it is supposed to be.

buckfourty
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the help I should of did all the basics first....Duh I had the 3.75g in the variator not the 3g that i thought was in there so it works now jus incase anyone is as much as an idiot I am start from the basics....lol

EthansDad
03-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I've done that too! easy to mix up, especially when they get worn and you can't read the size markings anymore. I actually picked up a small gram scale for about $30 I carry with me so I can measure what I'm about to put in.

buckfourty
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
yea thats what i was told to do i noticed cause i put some 2.8s in and it worked better so i went to put the 3,75s away and looked at them to see if you could read the size and i was like wtf. im an idiot so sure enough look in the box and brand new 3gs still in package....lol