PDA

View Full Version : replacing oem suzuki rings; which one goes where?

yophilly
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Ordered oem rings and it doesn't look like the compression rings are marked, also it looks like I only received one piece of the oil ring...any tips?

P.S. It's a LT80

LT80
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
On the ring end, there is a "T" on one side. The other end "may" have the size stamped on it (the .05 over rings I seen today was marked 05). That it the top side of the ring.
The rings are the same. It don't matter which one goes where but the top side must me up.

fearlessfred
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
im going out on a limb here but i think both rings are the same and the thing your calling the oil ring goes on behind the bottom ring. theres markings t or r they face up and make sure the ring gaps are centered on the ring locaters [probably already new that] ck the butt gap on the rings for MIN. clearance i think its 0.006 thats with the ring squared up in the bore at the place of least wear the last three that i did with fresh bores and pistons, the rings had to be filed down 0.002 to get proper clearance i wish somene could tell me if thats just the way suzuki make them the ring sets i did ,didnt have the spacer thing that goes behind the second ring ? but the suzuki manual shows it being there

LT80
03-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I see, he could mean that lil springie thing..LOL
That piece only goes on the stock bore size piston. Never seen it come with the overbores.
I've checked ring gap 100 times and never needed to file the ring gap. That's on the LT80's tho.

yophilly
03-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the straight answers. You are correct, I am using a std bore oem piston. I was wrong, there are only two rings, no oil ring like on a car. Thanks again.

fearlessfred
03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
thanks lt 80 the three i have done were over bores so thats why the expander wasnt there and all three of them only had 0.004 butt gap the first one was afreinds and he refused to gap the rings and it ran for one heat cycle [aboutn 15 min] and would not restart for lack of compression pulled apart gapped new rings to 0.006 and it ran till it was sold cking the but gap is part of a rebuild thanks for your help

hawaiianbasshed
08-10-2010, 03:56 AM
what's the easiest way to check the butt gap?

gonna do a +1.5-2mm overbore to freshen up a top that the sleeve has deep scoring on and want to get it right the 1st time :)

also does this apply if I'm getting a full weisco or pro-x kit. where the piston AND rings come together in the kit?

LT80
08-10-2010, 06:55 AM
They say::Yes you should check w/new kit.
edit:: you put the rings in the cylinder and measure the gap.
What bore are you on now?