PDA

View Full Version : '09 guts into an '05 frame, new to yamaha and 4 strokes

brymillen
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi guys and gals. i sold my 250r last year and with the spring mud sitting around im jonesin for some time in it.

I found an '09 yzf 450 for sale: twisted steering stem, frame, bars, and arms, no plastics. basicly it looks like it was rolled down a cliff. motors still runs smooth and strong through throttle and its a good price so i was thinkin of buying it.

I also found an '05 frame in good shape, powdercoated orange (odd choice for a yamaha) but straight as an arrow and gusseted.

My problem is iv spent all my years on 2 stroke hondas. This being said im sure u can guess i have no idea what is going on in yamaha or 4stroke land.

So my question is what kind of fab work will i have to do to make these mismatched machines fit together?

1. Im guessing the swingers wont fit... whats involved there? can u still hook up an '09 axle to an 05 swinger?

2. will i have to upgrade to an '05 aftermarket rad to accomodate the newer engine?

3. Anyother info would be extrememly helpful in making my decision

4. i do 80% trails, 20% backyard track so im not really intrested in widening it out but will be looking for an oversize gas tank (bigger the better) whats out there?

Thanks for ur time guys

motohanks
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
are you thinking of buying an '09 YFZ450 or '09 YFZ450R or the dirtbike, they are completely different. If it's the YFZ450R with the aluminum frame and EFI, then don't even bother trying to make that conversion. If it's the YFZ450, almost everything should bolt right up to the '05 frame. The only different in the frame that I can think of off the top of my head is a mount for the rear brake reservoir and the resistor up from that fixed the battery charging problem in the '04 and '05 YFZ.

When I crashed mine and bent the frame, I picked up a orange frame too, it was cheap since most people don't want an orange frame. Only $200, haha. I wish I could find a straight subframe for that cheap.

brymillen
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
its an 09 yfz 450,not the r, sorry why does yamaha make the titles so similar, told u im new haha

motohanks
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
haha, yeah. I just wanted to make sure. You shouldn't have many problems switching from an '09 frame to an '05. I would be more worried about replacing all of the other bent parts.

nicker71
03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by brymillen
Hi guys and gals. i sold my 250r last year and with the spring mud sitting around im jonesin for some time in it.

I found an '09 yzf 450 for sale: twisted steering stem, frame, bars, and arms, no plastics. basicly it looks like it was rolled down a cliff. motors still runs smooth and strong through throttle and its a good price so i was thinkin of buying it.

I also found an '05 frame in good shape, powdercoated orange (odd choice for a yamaha) but straight as an arrow and gusseted.

My problem is iv spent all my years on 2 stroke hondas. This being said im sure u can guess i have no idea what is going on in yamaha or 4stroke land.

So my question is what kind of fab work will i have to do to make these mismatched machines fit together?

1. Im guessing the swingers wont fit... whats involved there? can u still hook up an '09 axle to an 05 swinger?

The swinger will bolt right on to the frame. But I dont think the axle will work with the 05 swing arm. They changed the 06+ models to more of a honda style chain adjustment.

2. will i have to upgrade to an '05 aftermarket rad to accomodate the newer engine?

NO

3. Anyother info would be extrememly helpful in making my decision

Only slight differences in the frame, None being really important. Motor will bolt right in.

4. i do 80% trails, 20% backyard track so im not really intrested in widening it out but will be looking for an oversize gas tank (bigger the better) whats out there?

IMS, clarke, and couple of other brands. With a four stroke you wont burn as much fuel, and probably wont need a larger tank unless your planning on running all out for a least 2 hours. Normal ridding closer to 4 hours.

Thanks for ur time guys