View Full Version : Jd Performance A-arms??

tahoe97
11-26-2001, 06:24 PM
Hello i was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the JD Performance a-arms and if anyone knows where to buy them and for how much for a 400ex...

also is there anywhere i can buy stronger aftermarket a-arms but just get the lower a-arm??

thanks in advance guys
---------------------------------------------------------

2001 Yellow 400ex
14tooth Sprocket
Pro Circuit T-4
Modded Air Box
AC Pro Pegs
Renthals (400ex bend)

11-26-2001, 07:08 PM
Opinions?
- Very high quality
- Very reasonable price (as compared to other a-arm kits)
- Makes a vast improvement over stock handling
- JD Performance focuses on making JUST a-arms and ONLY for Honda machines (TRX250R and TRX400EX), which to me says that they specialize in what they do best. In other words, they do one thing, and they do it well.
- The fabricator for JD's arms has been building ATV parts for over 10 years, and has been employed by Laeger in that time building a-arms. So a pro to this, is experience and quality.
- The powdercoating looks good and lasts as well.
- Adjustable camber makes for custom setups
- The girl that answers the phone over there is as nice as can be, and even sounds like she's possibly a hotty! Ask her anything, and she'll respond with 'all that and a bag of chips.

My general consensus is that of a positive note for JD Performance. If you ever have problems with a product, they'll be more than happy to fix a mistake they made and will keep it cheap too. This doesn't cover abuse from the rider however. But still, they offer a "reconditioning" service for riders during the off-season (winter or whenever your local tracks stop running races) which includes re-powdercoating, new ball-joints, and repairs of any welds or anything that needs welded. The welds on my a-arms are quite clean, even better than Honda's (That's not saying much though.). If you have any questions, just check out www.jdperformanceatv.com and get in contact with them for particulars.

About price, i believe it was $480 to my door - California to Pennsylvania. It took 3 days. They estimated a week, but suprised me nicely with 3 days. I'm impressed with these people.

400exRacerX
11-26-2001, 07:22 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about JD a arms, also another good brand is Denton a arms for $50 bucks more they warrenty them for life against breaking but not bending. They look nice and have very very thick tie rods. And they are completely adjustable like the JD's.

Tommy 17
11-27-2001, 01:21 PM
they are 445 and u can buy them direct from jd i dunno the number i think theres a link on this site for them if not go to www.400ex.com theres a link there. the jds are good arms i never heard a problem wit them. alos houser is good too for a 100$ more i would get the houser.

11-27-2001, 01:51 PM
Houser arms are actually about 60 bucks more,,,if ya order them over the internet...better quality too I think,,extra supports with there arms over all other manufacturers..Look at houser arms and look at JD,,not that JD is bad,,but I think you'll be spending your money wiser on houser arms..up ta you..:D

kabd69667
11-27-2001, 04:47 PM
Hey Rico,
Are your a arms +3 or +2?

trx400ex
11-27-2001, 05:02 PM
im not rico,,, but he got plus i inch wider and 1/2 inch forward

Clay
11-27-2001, 05:41 PM
I would get the houser. Great build, great quality, and EXCELLENT customer service. Ive seen 3 sets of JD's break. One set the bottom aarm BROKE. One the ball joint broke (probably not jds fault). And one the shock mount bent down badly when he bottemed out. I would go for Houser man.

11-28-2001, 09:58 AM
Yeah Trx400ex is right I got the +1 wide and +1/2 forward..

kabd69667
11-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Would you have rather gotten plus 2 or 3??

400exRacerX
11-28-2001, 01:26 PM
I don't believe you can get +3 on a stock frame only for skinnier after market frames right?

11-28-2001, 01:28 PM
Oh yeah,,,I would have loved to have gone +3 with houser long travel arms and shocks. But,,,I'm almost 30 years old and won't be racing on tracks for ever and a plus 6 inch front end is not very woods friendly. I also trail ride and plan on keeping this 400 forever,,so goin with +1 arms lets me have the best of both worlds,,helps on mx tracks but also I can ride in the woods and be OK. I could have bought the pimp daddy front end,,but I'd have to sell it when I quit racing, so why waste the money on something I'll only use for a few years. The +1 arms will stay on it forever and even though it's only +1 inch wider, it works great on MX tracks over stock width or even wheel spacers, get offset rims which pushs your front end around +2. Add stocker tires and rims for the woods and back to +1,,,I had to think long and hard on what I wanted,,,I'm pleased with my choice.

Dave400ex
11-28-2001, 02:32 PM
Does Houser make a subframe for the 400ex? I would rather have Houser than Lonestar.

11-29-2001, 07:04 AM
I don't beleive they make a subframe..

11-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Alright folks.. lets get the facts straight...

Dave.. the builder for JD Performance is also the CHASIS builder for Leager's.. NOT the a-arm guy.. he makes nothing but A-arms in his JD Perf shop...

so, what does this mean?? the guy that makes the JD Performance A-arms is the same one that HAND BUILDS quads for Tim Farr and Kory Ellis...

I have been to the JD shop and seen the attention to detail that he puts in all of his work.. he is a master at welding, and he will stand behind any arms that he makes... no one will cover a bent arm when you hit a tree, but if you break a weld... he will fix or replace it.. and he has only done one that I've seen.. because the retard ran over a rock at 50mph...

I have a full MX race bike, and I run JD arms.. I recently got a second bike for desert racing and I have LONESTAR arms on there now.. i bought them from Johnny Hale.. and honestly.. As soon as I can sell them, I'm buying another set of +2 JD arms..

so, if you want to buy my Lonestar arms.. let me know.. because I need to buy another set of JD...

they are made better.. buy a respected ATV builder... they bolt right on with no adjustments needed, and they are well planned out.. the degree on the spindle is changed just enough to make the bike handle a million times better, not to mention more stable with the added weight...

I SWEAR BY THE JD ARMS!!!

11-29-2001, 11:48 AM
when i say the added weight.. i mean the 400 is heavier than the 250r, so making the bike wider, makes it handle more like a 250...

the arms are NOT heavier... the bike is!