PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 2005 450r but worried....

knipdm01
03-24-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm buying a 2005 450r for $2500

It was uncrated in 2007. My buddy has maintained it well mechanically. It has maybe 150 hours. It was not raced just taking to offroads parks.

My worries are how reliable are these motors....I keep hearing about crank bearing issues.

I want this thing to be reliable as the raptor 660r I had.

Everything is stock on this motor. Thanks

knipdm01
03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Too add....

I do primarily trail riding. And like to jump a little but nothing crazy.

I don't want to have to rebuild this motor. Another buddy of mine has a mid 80s 250r thats never been rebuilt and it runs like a top still.

If you keep the motor stock what are the odds that I will ever have to rebuild.

I also own a 2001 kodiak utility quad, runs perfect lots of hours and I doubt it will need rebuilt in the next 10 years.

To me it seems that people are rebuilding alot because

Ruf Racing
03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
$2500.00 maybe a little pricey for a 05. But then again, low hours makes that better. The big end of the rod and thrust washers have been the issue for the 04/05 bikes. Talk him down for less money.

nskukalek79
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I have an 04 with a stock motor...i've never been into it, and there were no issues with this quad at all. And i also ride it very hard racing mx every weekend in the summer. It's been very reliable to me. I would also try to talk the guy down some before buying it, but if he doesn't budge then i would still buy it.

knipdm01
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I rode trails and some dunes.....I think a 700r electric start and reverse will fit the bill better.....I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb......I dont feel that 450s of any manufacturer are as relaible as their trail counterparts.....they are great for racing where you expect rebuilds. But for me I need it to last 10 years and only have to change the oil once or twice a year.

Scro
03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by knipdm01
I rode trails and some dunes.....I think a 700r electric start and reverse will fit the bill better.....I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb......I dont feel that 450s of any manufacturer are as relaible as their trail counterparts.....they are great for racing where you expect rebuilds. But for me I need it to last 10 years and only have to change the oil once or twice a year.

The Honda is not for you then. They hold less than a quart of oil, on the motor side. I change my engine oil after every ride, and the trans every other ride.

knipdm01
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
thanks, I think your right. I'm not an extreme rider but I need something more fun than a utility!

sparks 450
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
bought my 04 brand new never had any problems with it. I do some racing alot of sand riding and a little trail riding. I know several people with this bike and none of them have had any issues. It is a great reliable bike. in fact according to most of the people in the industry the 04 -05 is still the best 450 you can buy overall. you really have to stay up on the maintenance or you could very well have problems as with any bike. the 700xx sounds like it might be a better fit for you. good luck.

Wayner
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
$2500.00 maybe a little pricey for a 05. But then again, low hours makes that better. The big end of the rod and thrust washers have been the issue for the 04/05 bikes. Talk him down for less money.

Maybe I'm off, but $2500 is not a lot of money in my book for a good used quad with low hours.

I know everyone wants a good deal, but you can't expect to get something for nothing.

If it's in good shape, I wouldn't blink at $2500.

Ichoptop
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I've had an 04 and 2 05s. They get flogged in the Rocky Mountains all the time and even hit the dunes a couple of times a year.

but if you expect any quad to last if you ride it hard and only change the oil twice a year then you will be dissapointed no matter what you buy. These are high reving 4 stroke motors and need proper cleaning and lubrication. Its not as bad as owning a two stroke but oil changes and air filter cleaning is mandatory whether its a honda or a ktm.

knipdm01
03-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
I've had an 04 and 2 05s. They get flogged in the Rocky Mountains all the time and even hit the dunes a couple of times a year.

but if you expect any quad to last if you ride it hard and only change the oil twice a year then you will be dissapointed no matter what you buy. These are high reving 4 stroke motors and need proper cleaning and lubrication. Its not as bad as owning a two stroke but oil changes and air filter cleaning is mandatory whether its a honda or a ktm.

I agree to a point....you can flog a 660 raptor change the oil once a year and it will last a long time, same with a 400ex. The oil change interval for a raptor is 160 hours. of course power per cc isn't even close. 450s are the best I agree. I'm willing to sacrifice power for dependability.

I appreciate everyone's opinion. I also think most quad pretty much stay worth around $2500 for a long time as long as they are maintained.