PDA

View Full Version : OK guys...need some advice...

LuvTheLTR
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I just picked up a real basket case of an '87 TRX250X. Its gonna need some major TLC, not to mention blood, sweat and tears.

I've got to do a full cases up rebuild on the motor, what do you think? Should I go big bore/stroke/hi-compression? How much is too much? What a good trail cam? Is head porting a benefit on these things? Who's exhaust wakes them up the most? Best replacement carb?

Then for the suspension, I am planning on 400EX arms/tie-rods, but should I also run the spindles and brakes? It's got 250R arms and Works shocks on it now. The entire chassis looks OK and is stock, including the swingarm and rear shock.

As far as things it already has that are decent:

AC Racing bumper, DG nerfs, some desert style rear grab-bar, DuraBlue +4 axle and full aluminum belly skidplate.

The plastic is black Maier front and back, but it has a green fuel tank (that has got to go) and the seat will need to be recovered. I've got a nice set of Pro Taper bars to put on it too. I'm also planning on Holeshot GNCC tires all around.

Any and all advice will be welcomed! Thanx

QuadCobbler
03-24-2010, 05:23 AM
If you already have 250r a-arms on it then there is no need for 400ex arms unless the ball joints are bad. They are both the same length. I would say a sparks or tc pipe. A 400ex carb works prety good for the price, just rejet it.

LuvTheLTR
03-24-2010, 08:44 AM
The 250r arms ARE the same length as the 400ex ones? I guess I didn't realize that with everything I've read so far. Guess I just need the shock relocator and better shocks then. That's cool, saved some money already. Thanx

Also...what do you guys think is the best shop manual for this quad? I've heard varying opinions so far.

LuvTheLTR
03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
OK...new game plan. I'm parting out the quad and using the money to buy a local '86 TRX250R.

300ridr
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
if your parting it out, how much for the axle, hubs, and every thing else on the axle? so basically the whole axle without the carrier.

300ridr
03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
forgot to say, my rear is junk, thats why im wondering before i buy a brand new rear, might as well help out a fellow atvrider, right? any way, how long are the shocks,too? may be interested in those too:)