PDA

View Full Version : Keyed on lights

project400ex19
03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Anyone ever re-wire their harness so the headlights turn on with the key and have just a toggle type switch to go from high to low beam?

honda400ex2003
03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
May i ask why you would do this? I havent came across this on any atvs yet, just the sleds. It would be interesting to be able to get rid of the cluster and do it that way. steve

project400ex19
03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I looked over the wiring and the diagram and have it kinda figured out on how to do it. my main reason for doing it is to eliminate the big cluster. 2nd reason quads are street legal here so i was just going to make it so i have running lights all the time like a motorcycle. 3rd I like doing pointless complicated mods lol.

I'm actually configuring a battery box to fit up in front of the steering stem to move weight forward so it will fly a little flatter in the air.

honda400ex2003
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
nice, it should not be too bad if you take the main hot wire and plug it into the hot on the switch. then you could just run a jumper to the dimmer switch in the middle and have highs on one and lows on the other side. would be pretty slick if you wanted to do it that way. sounds cool to have atvs street legal. I wish we could get that here. the battery box has been done by a few guys with success, they move the whole enchilada up front and have lots of space in the back. lol, steve

project400ex19
03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
yeah they passed a law last year up here. riders 16 and older can ride a 249cc and higher quad with just a drivers license and registered with the dmv. (which is required anyways) Also need speedometer, horn, headlight, tail light, brake light, d.o.t. tires are not required. And can be on any road 65 mph or less.

I'm going to get duro scorcher tires when i get some more spare cash.

For the keyed on switch. It looks like i I can take the brown wire which goes to both the headlight switch and hi-low beam switch, connect it to the black wire that comes off the key. Then split the brown so it continues to go to the rear tail light and the other pig tail will go to the hi-lo beam switch (blue wire and white wire). I think this will work according to my diagrams.

honda400ex2003
03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
sounds cool, i dont have my diagrams handy so i will believe you lol. it shouldnt be too bad though, at one time i was going to use a dimmer switch and a kx killswitch as a starter button and eliminate the cluster. Dont forget the starter lol. It was going to cost me along the lines of 40-50 dollars for everything so i said forget it and took my dimmer back. lol. steve