PDA

View Full Version : YZF450R steering stabilizer

gdavis3rd
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I hate to spend $500 on a precision stabilizer but the space looks tight to fit the old style (PEP/Streamline/etc...) stabilizers. Anyone know if PEP or others makes a mount kit for the 1009 YZF450R?

Thanks

02bwraptor
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
You could get a cnc steering stabilizer. Look up custom-cnc-parts on ebay since this site won't let me post the website link.

gdavis3rd
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
well i tried searching ebay and did not find anything. Can you PM me ?

02bwraptor
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Pmed you. also check out this post http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432442

400grl
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I use a GPR stabilizer - it's awesome!! :)

Kovatch
03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm satisfied with my PEP stabilizer. You have to trim out a 1" hole in the radiator shroud, but it fits just fine. I haven't had any trouble with it. I think its around $180-200, but I can't remember.

I had the stabilizer on there about a week after I bought it and couldn't ride without one.

Give Baldwin a call on Monday, as he is in Alabama this weekend. It will be worth it.

Kovatch
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Ignore how dirty it is. I went riding when it was around 20* and did not feel like washing it.

hendershot106
03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
I'm satisfied with my PEP stabilizer. You have to trim out a 1" hole in the radiator shroud, but it fits just fine. I haven't had any trouble with it. I think its around $180-200, but I can't remember.

I had the stabilizer on there about a week after I bought it and couldn't ride without one.

Give Baldwin a call on Monday, as he is in Alabama this weekend. It will be worth it.

Are those even adjustable??? and dont they turn harder one direction than another...???

Precision. Enough Said.

mxpimp2000
03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
i just got a precision FREEBIE lol buddy was selling his bike so i got some goodies b4 hand lol gotta love good friends

whc
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
I have a precison pro on my yamaha am I am not impressed with how it works, I also have one on my honda 400ex that works pretty good, i am going to put my stick type on the yamaha and shelve the precision while I try the stick. later bill

hendershot106
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by whc
I have a precison pro on my yamaha am I am not impressed with how it works, I also have one on my honda 400ex that works pretty good, i am going to put my stick type on the yamaha and shelve the precision while I try the stick. later bill

Try adjusting it before you shelf it. I have had one last three years...and its saved me many trips to the hospital!!!

Kovatch
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
Are those even adjustable??? and dont they turn harder one direction than another...???

Precision. Enough Said.

I do not notice it being harder in one direction than the other. I am really impressed with it.

The PEP one is not adjustable. I don't feel the need to adjust it, but that's just me. I know some people want to adjust theirs, but I just race and deal with it. I would consider making a bracket for the right side and running two of them for Nationals, as some of those tracks are brutal on the arms (Loretta Lynn's with the saw dust/dirt mix)

mxpimp2000
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
Try adjusting it before you shelf it. I have had one last three years...and its saved me many trips to the hospital!!!

what settings do u run? i cant seem to dial mine in as good so i leave it on soft settings for both sides and center

johng
03-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Golden West Cycle sells one for $110. Fit my bike no problem

whc
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I have spent several hours playing with the settings, have been on the phone with george at precision with out any improvments in the performance. what puzzle me is how well the one on my 400ex works. the pro model I have is currently set at 1.5 clicks/notches this puts noticable resistance at the bars but does not provide hardly any impact resistance?? george says that 2 or 3 clicks/notches is what team yamaha runs?? well I feel like I wasted 550 bucks since I have a stick dampner thats works just as well?? am riding again this week and am trying a slightly harder setting but its starting to get harder to steer too?? later Bill

02bwraptor
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Found this on precisions website. http://www.precision-rp.com/settings.pdf

whc
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
this is the instruction manuel that comes with the precision dampners, but according to george at precision this is not the correct starteng point for the yfz, too bad it didnt give me the correct starting points since I nailed a rock first time out and injured my wrist, I then called precision and talk to george who told me the yamaha needed to be set stiffer then the manuel says, am riding tommorow with a harder setting, will drop a line later. Bill

hendershot106
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
what settings do u run? i cant seem to dial mine in as good so i leave it on soft settings for both sides and center

depends where im at... never the same...

whc
04-07-2010, 04:53 AM
i am running mine about 1.5 notchs out on the outer and 2 notchs out on the center. this is a compromise since it does not provide the protection i want, but is managable for steering input. I rode sunday tried some different settings, this is where I ended up. my stick dampner was just as good. I am not impressed with the precision pro. Bill